(Topic ID: 187450)

What diodes for Sorcerer pop bumper switches?

By SkillshotExhibit

6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1379 (resized).JPG
IMG_1378 (resized).JPG
IMG_1370 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_1370 (resized).JPG
#1 6 years ago

Hi all,

It seems that I need to replace the pop bumper switches in my Sorcerer, Ive replaced every other part in the pop bumpers and Im experiencing the same problems over and over. I want to replace the entire switch mechanism for all three pop bumpers and found the replacements but have no idea what diodes need to be added. Here is the part listing for the switches on PinballLife:

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=339

Does anyone know a source where I can look up the part information for the missing diodes?

The problems Im experiencing with the pop bumpers-

One of the chrome rings gets stuck in the down position which is causing the coil to overheat, blowing a fuse, I also blew a transistor on the powerboard and had to have that fixed.

One a different pop bumper, the skirt at the bottom of the mechanism, does nothing, the other two react nice and strong when I press them down with my finger, plenty of action, the third is just dead.

Id appreciate any advice on any of this.

Thanks!

#2 6 years ago

It's probably not the diodes, they don't normally affect things like that. However, 1n4004s will work to replace them. The same thing that you put on coils, always good to have some around. Are you sure the switch contacts are clean and making/breaking connection properly? Does the one solenoid lock on if you fire it in the coil test?

#3 6 years ago

Here is a photo of one of the switch sets, with the diodes in place. It appears to have three different types of diodes.

IMG_1370 (resized).JPGIMG_1370 (resized).JPG

#4 6 years ago

The top one is the diode. Middle is a resistor, bottom is a capacitor. Do all your pop bumpers and slingshots have all three of those on them?

#5 6 years ago

Your issue is likely not the switches, but test them out so you can rule them out. The pop activates when the switches closest to the spoon (bottom of your upside pic) close.

When the switch is open multimeter for continuity across the switch. Open = good! shorted/closed = bad => cut one lead of the capacitor (blue) and retest again. Open? good (replace the capacitor with a new one the old one is shorted) still shorted? the switch has a physical issue that is shorting it out.

Now close the switch. Shorted = good! Open = bad = > clean the contacts by rubbing a business card between them when the switch is closed. Retest.

The other switch in the stack is for 'scoring' points. After the pop has been activated, the moving parts activate the scoring switch.

#6 6 years ago

Thanks very much everyone! Ok, so the top is a diode, blue is a capacitor and the brown one is a capacitor? Any advice on how to identify the part numbers so that I can purchase replacements? There is nothing in the manual that lists part numbers for Sorcerer and every switch assembly Ive been able to find to purchase does not have any of the capacitors or diodes installed already.

Thanks!

#7 6 years ago

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#8 6 years ago

Resistor can be read using the color bands on it: http://www.digikey.com/en/resources/conversion-calculators/conversion-calculator-resistor-color-code-5-band

Capacitor looks like it says on it.

I've never worked on this game specifically, but I'm sort of surprised to see either of those on there. The resistor in particular doesn't make much sense, it looks like it's connected between the switch leaf and its tensioner? Hard to see what the right side of the cap is attached to, is that the bottom switch leaf?

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Resistor can be read using the color bands on it: http://www.digikey.com/en/resources/conversion-calculators/conversion-calculator-resistor-color-code-5-band
Capacitor looks like it says on it.
I've never worked on this game specifically, but I'm sort of surprised to see either of those on there. The resistor in particular doesn't make much sense, it looks like it's connected between the switch leaf and its tensioner? Hard to see what the right side of the cap is attached to, is that the bottom switch leaf?

Thanks for the advice. All three of the switch sets look like this, Im assuming that the parts are original. Here are a few more pics:

IMG_1370 (resized).JPGIMG_1370 (resized).JPG

IMG_1378 (resized).JPGIMG_1378 (resized).JPG

IMG_1379 (resized).JPGIMG_1379 (resized).JPG

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 749.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 22.50
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-diodes-for-sorcerer-pop-bumper-switches and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.