Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0794re_(resized).jpg
IMG_0657_(resized).JPG
cowboy_(resized).jpg
IMG_0135_(resized).JPG
#1 7 years ago

I found some stencils on e-bay for painting my Space Mission game. What type of paint did you use and how did you apply it (brush, roller, spray can or professional spray gun)?

#2 7 years ago

I used Molotow Premium rattle cans.

#3 7 years ago

Surprisingly, the rattle cans are the best, don't even think about rolling or brushing latex paint....Any aerosol at HD or Lowes. Plenty of color choices.

#4 7 years ago

I take a sample to Lowe's and have it color matched (or if you have the color codes they can mix from those). I usually get a quart can of semi Gloss Valspar, the premium version as it has more pigment in it and tends to cover better. I spray it with HVLP gun and compressor. If there are small areas, I use a brush to paint them, and also to do touch ups. When done with the painting I will apply a coat of clear to even out the finish and give the paint a little protection...YMMV.

Phoebe

#5 7 years ago

Montana Gold spray paint. The best rattle can paint I have ever used. Almost impossible to make it run.

#6 7 years ago

So what's the problem with rolling the base color with latex paint then apply the stencils and use spray paint to finish the rest of the job? That's exactly what I do and get long lasting excellent results. I would think rattle can spraying the cabinet will leave slight streaking. Before anyone says it will fade, bubble or whatever, my results look very original and have remained that way for 6 years now and counting. John

#7 7 years ago

Brown latex house paint put on with a brush, eh JR?

IMG_0135_(resized).JPGIMG_0135_(resized).JPG

#8 7 years ago

All kidding aside, since Im pretty much all GTB EM's. Rustoleum Heirloom white for the base and Montana White series (gloss) for the art colors

#9 7 years ago

Staining adds a nice touch

cowboy_(resized).jpgcowboy_(resized).jpg

#10 7 years ago

Green or blue latex seemed appropriate for BankABall... but I digress

IMG_0657_(resized).JPGIMG_0657_(resized).JPG

IMG_0794re_(resized).jpgIMG_0794re_(resized).jpg

#11 7 years ago

Where can I get this Montana Gold or White series paint?

#12 7 years ago

I use these guys...
http://tpy-urbancolors.com/

dick blick, amazon etc

#13 7 years ago

Also note that Molotow / Montana etc. can be used with a variety of caps. Get a cap sampler pack too!

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

Staining adds a nice touch

Someone did that to a DAC I restored.

Still the most ridiculous collection of wood clamps anywhere.

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from PapaJohn:

So what's the problem with rolling the base color with latex paint then apply the stencils and use spray paint to finish the rest of the job? That's exactly what I do and get long lasting excellent results.

Yeah, but you know how to paint...some of us...well...don't.
my brother could take an old fence board, and make a water fountain out of it...i can't.
I think it boils down to useing what your comfy with.
I began using rattle cans, and brush paint, but now, almost exclusively use a sprayer for base, colors, etc...
and an air brush for touchups.
I probably would use rattle cans more often, but usually cannot find a close enuf match, and need to have everything mixed...my luck.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oceanside, NY
1,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Manlius, NY
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-did-you-use-to-paint-your-cabinet and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.