(Topic ID: 143516)

What did you learn from your last repair?

By swampfire

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 227 posts
  • 96 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by woodmedic
  • Topic is favorited by 26 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

SL22 (resized).jpg
hqdefault (resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
broken_flipper_bat_causes_weak_flipper_power_(resized).png
temp_fix_flipper_bat_(resized).png
IMG_20160106_222031008_(resized).jpg
20151228_235144_(resized).jpg
IMG_6064.jpg
IMG_6063.jpg
IMG_6053.jpg
momma.jpg
IMG_2349.jpg
20151206172010826.jpg
IMG_1292.jpg
IMG_1291.jpg
IMG_1289.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider freeplay40.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#36 8 years ago

After spending the last two days "dialing in" a friends fully restored Fathom I have a few things to get off my chest. Mostly I only do restorations for myself, but I have one friend that pays reasonably, covers all parts cost and never squawks about what it takes to do it right.

That said, this Fathom that I have been working on really demonstrates the quality of work an individual performs. While at first view this game looks wonderful (mostly because of a nice paint job) I found many things that are just shoddy repairs. So..just want to list a few things that should never be missed when doing a restoration...

First off, for a game like Fathom with a $5k price tag I would expect all the score displays to be perfect... Put a new NOS score glass in the Match/Credit display.

When stapling ground braid to the underside of a playfield use a pneumatic stapler....hand staplers just do not penetrate the hard playfield well and you end up with bent and loose stapling.

Make sure all braid is routed so as there is no chance of shorting...Took me most of a day to find a braid buried under the main harness that was shorting to a leaf switch because it was not routed around the switch..

Follow up to the situation in the last paragraph... If you are doing a nice restore for someone, you need to test the hell out of everything to insure proper function. Initially when I got the machine it was to get the roll overs working, fix a bad pop bumper and generally just make sure everything was working. This is where the fun began... The roll overs were never adjusted by the person who restored and clearly not functioning. All of them had about a 1/2" gap in the points... So I adjusted them and got them working and lo and behold I now have a switch matrix issue. As most of you know when the matrix is compromised, the switch tests just don't work as you get phantom closed switches. I found I had GI voltage on the matrix which initiated the hunt....that's when I found the leaf switch with the braid under it shorting to the leaf....and not shorting all the time!!! So I was chasing my tail.

And how could this person have missed a non working Pop bumper??? That turned out to be a broken trace on the Solenoid Driver board right at the drive transistor. I did appreciate that the guy rebuilt many plugs and pins, but on the Solenoid driver board, only rebuilt the plugs....pathetic.

The saddest thing was something I can't fix...at least not without charging my friend another couple hundred bucks. He had told me that the playfield did not fit well down into the cabinet. I figured this was likely due to inaccurate placement of the playfield pivot hinges but in fact was due to the lower cabinet not being square. The restorer took the time to put a new bottom in the lower cabinet, but neglected to make sure the cabinet was square before securing the bottom...Note that the bottom board of a cabinet is the means to insure the lower cabinet is square....food for thought...how do you check to see if the cabinet is square before securing the bottom panel??? Very simple...with the cabinet upside down, you measure diagonally from corner to corner...It's square when these 2 measurements are the same. This will not affect game play, but with the lock bar off, you can see a gap between the playfield and the lock down mechanism that is tight on one side and has a 1/4" gap on the other side.... Even a framing square shows it's out of square.

And a good deal of poor soldering under the playfield...

Sheesh!!!

So if you are doing your own playfield swap, I hope there are some points in here for you to be aware of...If someone else is doing you swap, be sure they know what the hell they are doing. I am presently doing a Flash Gordon full restore for my friend and just completed the playfield swap...everything perfect!...next is the full restore on the cabinet. In the garage I have a Xenon of his that will just be a playfield swap and electronics upgrading. Waiting in the wings will be a top to bottom restoration on a Bally Viking...

God I hope that's all he has for me for a while!

6 years later
#219 2 years ago
Quoted from chris_p:

did you put the ball back in? no you did not.

We never learn this one....

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 179.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Orange, CA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
RobTune

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider freeplay40.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-did-you-learn-from-your-last-repair?tu=freeplay40 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.