(Topic ID: 143516)

What did you learn from your last repair?

By swampfire

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 227 posts
  • 96 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by woodmedic
  • Topic is favorited by 26 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

SL22 (resized).jpg
hqdefault (resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
broken_flipper_bat_causes_weak_flipper_power_(resized).png
temp_fix_flipper_bat_(resized).png
IMG_20160106_222031008_(resized).jpg
20151228_235144_(resized).jpg
IMG_6064.jpg
IMG_6063.jpg
IMG_6053.jpg
momma.jpg
IMG_2349.jpg
20151206172010826.jpg
IMG_1292.jpg
IMG_1291.jpg
IMG_1289.jpg
There are 227 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.
#101 8 years ago

I never knew that the flipper enable signal on an early Bally SS comes straight from the MPU board...chased that around for hours thinking the issue was with Q15 and associated components on the SDB...

The drive for Q15 comes from the MPU...good to know!

#102 8 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

As far as I can tell, they used the mate-n-lock connectors instead of molex.
Did someone convert the connectors over to molex, or did gameplan make a change with their later games?

Those are what mine are. Great plains shows them as .084 Mate-n-lok. Guess I should have specified.

#103 8 years ago

That it sucks swapping flipper assemblies in the machine. Desoldering the old wires sucks. Unscrewing everything that needs unscrewing sucks. Screwing new assemblies back in sucks more. Soldering the wires back also sucks. I wish I had a rotisserie.

#104 8 years ago

I learned that I can calm down a too-powerful trough kick out coil by putting a 10W 3 ohm resistor in series with it. No more ball hitting the glass when it kicks out of the trough.

#105 8 years ago

I learned to calm down in general.

Being newer to the hobby I recently spent weeks learning a lot about my down new machine to discover multiple attempts at reseating cables is all it took.

Humbling yet fruitful.

#106 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I learned that I can calm down a too-powerful trough kick out coil by putting a 10W 3 ohm resistor in series with it. No more ball hitting the glass when it kicks out of the trough.

There are positions that that's not enough. A small piece of foam weather stripping in the right place can do wonderful things.

#107 8 years ago

I learned that 90% of my fixes go like this:

Figure out the problem. Order a new part. Wait a week or so for it to come in (all the while a machine is down). Find free time to make the fix. Discover that my "fix" did nothing to change anything. Reassess the problem. Realize I was wrong, and that it only needs a small tweak somewhere. After hours (really weeks) of work, fix the problem in about 2 minutes with stuff I already had on hand. End up with more spare parts. Then I try to pretend my pride in fixing something overshadows the dumbness in which I went about it.

Repeat ad infinitum.

#108 8 years ago

.84 and .93 connectors should be stored in different compartments.

#109 8 years ago

I have learned to read a schematic for my first EM, '76 Royal Flush.
An incorrect scoring issue on white joker.
Would you believe? it was a possibly factory error....almost 40 years!
2 wires on wrong tabs. ("G" Relay)
Thanks to Pinsider "DirtFlipper"
IMG_2349.JPGIMG_2349.JPG

#110 8 years ago

That the person who designed the sys 11 interconnect board was a crazy man (some crazy long connectors on that thing).

That some previous owner of my Taxi was a silly f*&k and had hard wired GI inputs to front AND back of board (when they could have actually just jumpered 2 pins at the back, if they really couldn't get their hands on a new molex connector).

That Vid rocks and his guides rock (technically, I already knew this).

Replaced the GI input connector and reflowed pins for any relative connectors and I now have full GI on my Taxi instead of the lame handful of Gi I used to have.

#111 8 years ago

When replacing coils with pre-attached diodes, don't assume that they are installed in the same direction as the one you removed. Thankfully, all I blew up was the diode and a fuse. Thanks Vid for walking a newbie through diagnosing and recommendations for repair.

#112 8 years ago
Quoted from EvanDickson:

Replaced the GI input connector and reflowed pins for any relative connectors and I now have full GI on my Taxi instead of the lame handful of Gi I used to have.

If you can, replace the header side of those connectors too. The old ones likely have been damaged by the extreme heat. I hate pulling and replacing header rows, but it usually makes a difference.

#113 8 years ago

Don't set you pop bumper switches to close, the desire to have really good action and very narrow tolerance will cause you great frustration when the coil locks on and fries your board components. Spent my afternoon repairing my board and giving a little more switch clearance. Those gaps are really important to have right. Ohm meter continuity test was good during shop out fine tuning, but I knew they were REAL close. Live and Learn.
JP

#114 8 years ago

I was able to fix a sound problem on a Stern MPU-200 game by swapping out a 5101 chip because unbeknownst to me there are 'fast' 5101E-1 and 5101P-1 chips and 'slow' 5101L-1 and 5101-3 chips. MPU-200 games need the fast variety to function properly.

#115 8 years ago

From my VERY EARLY days (over 25 years ago), "Polarity counts!"

#116 8 years ago

There are many more problems with a game than the owner knows about.

#117 8 years ago

EMs are the work of the devil

#119 8 years ago

sometimes you just can't figure out what is wrong and you have to send it in to someone with years of experience .

#120 8 years ago

Suck it up and replace both sides of the damned connector.

#121 8 years ago

Trying to get all the pins through the holes when swapping out a 16-digit display glass makes me say lots of bad words.

#122 8 years ago
Quoted from Solder_Splash:

Trying to get all the pins through the holes when swapping out a 16-digit display glass makes me say lots of bad words.

Try replacing a glass in a DMD. 32+128 pins.

#123 8 years ago
Quoted from MikeO:

Try replacing a glass in a DMD. 32+128 pins.

And using a jeweler's glass...

#124 8 years ago

GI shorts can be a bitch to try and find. And have a bucketfull of fuses handy.

#125 8 years ago

Remove the balls from the trough BEFORE you lift the PF...

oh... and don't forget .... Remove the balls from the trough BEFORE you lift the PF!
faz

#126 8 years ago

I learned that when setting an EOS gap on a flipper, you should ALWAYS double check the gap via and actual button press.

What I mean it that manually moving the flipper bat to full extension is often further than the actual flipper button press. This distance in travel seems to be larger on Sterns than on WMS and Bally and I assume it due to the tolerances in flipper linkage.

In short, ALWAYS check gap with real life button press the actuate the flipper. DONT trust manual movement of bat to set a gap.

Also, be sure to have plenty of TIP, Mosfet, Drivers, of different/ typical number on hand.

#127 8 years ago

If a coil seems weak, check the coil number before investing an hour trying to find a mechanical / physical fault somewhere.

#128 8 years ago

I struggled to adjust the roll-under switches on Medusa last night, and then finally had the idea to use a taller playfield post, so the switch leaves would pull closer together. Worked like a charm.

#129 8 years ago

That a WPC89 MPU won't boot if you have one flipper coil wired wrong. Anyone need a spare Rottendog?

#130 8 years ago
Quoted from mjenison:

That a WPC89 MPU won't boot if you have one flipper coil wired wrong. Anyone need a spare Rottendog?

How much do you want for it?

#131 8 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

GI shorts can be a bitch to try and find. And have a bucketfull of fuses handy.

Better idea... get a set of these.
IMG_6053.JPGIMG_6053.JPG

#132 8 years ago

I learned Gottlieb Decagon units blow chunks through coffee straws, they sure do, why not?

#133 8 years ago

I learned a while ago its a reflex action to catch things you drop.......including hot soldering irons.

#134 8 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

Better idea... get a set of these.
IMG_6053.JPG

Yep, have a few of those ordered and on the way.

#135 8 years ago

Just because a chip is old, doesn't mean its bad. I'm rehabbing a Bally light board and there were a lot of stuck on controlled lamps that ran through U-4. I don't normally have those on hand because they rarely go bad. So I looked for maybe a problem I could fix. I've chased down bad solder joints in lots of places but this was new to me.

IMG_6063.jpgIMG_6063.jpg

IMG_6064.jpgIMG_6064.jpg

#136 8 years ago

It's definitely worth while doing a full assembly swap when doing maintenance on flippers, rather than trying to rebuild. Now I can use a rebuild kit on the old assemblies. It's like keeping winter tires on a spare set of rims.

#137 8 years ago

That it will take longer and double the cost of what I thought I needed.

LTG : )™

#138 8 years ago
Quoted from cal50:

I learned a while ago its a reflex action to catch things you drop.......including hot soldering irons.

I did that once when an x-acto knife rolled off the table , ouch!!! All the way in yep, slammed my knees together

#139 8 years ago

Learned this today.
Had a small screwdriver in my hand while testing the continuity of a fuse I had removed.
If you put one lead of the meter on one end of the fuse, and the screwdriver on the other end of the fuse, it will test bad every time.
When I finally realized what I was doing it took about 5 min. Just to stop laughing at myself.

#140 8 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

Had a small screwdriver in my hand while testing the continuity of a fuse I had removed.
If you put one lead of the meter on one end of the fuse, and the screwdriver on the other end of the fuse, it will test bad every time.

You need to test continuity with 120V.... it would have tested ok... at least YOUR continuity would have tested ok

faz

#141 8 years ago

Dirty Harry's magnet opto can only be repaired by removing both ramps. It's the Japanese car equivalent of changing the fuel filter.

#142 8 years ago
Quoted from Meatneck:

connectors, connectors, connectors. the answer to so many problems. especially on early solid state. spent 10 hours chasing feature lights..corroded trifurcons between mpu and light board.

So true, or spend a few hours repinning

#143 8 years ago

A small amount of lubricant on a spinner axle makes a huge difference in its operation! Also, when removing the back glass and placing it onto a work bench adjacent to the machine, make sure there is not a spoon sitting in a bowl of chili on said work bench. The backglass hooked the spoon catapulting the chili all over the playfield glass and lockdown bar.

#144 8 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

Learned this today.
When I finally realized what I was doing it took about 5 min. Just to stop laughing at myself.

Better than shorting out a game WITH your screwdriver...

#145 8 years ago

That it can be as simple as a fuse as long as you start simple and check the easy stuff first.

#146 8 years ago

Pinball repair sucks sometimes

#147 8 years ago

That bending the through kicker metal is the right fix for the ball coming out with too much force.

#148 8 years ago

If you want spinners to score really "hot" all you need is a little force, patience, and needle nose pliers...

#149 8 years ago

It's not just the tip of the iron that's hot, never seems to sink in.

#150 8 years ago

I have a gremlin in my workshop that keeps hiding my tools each and every time I put them down.

Damn, I just had that hex driver; where'd it go this time?!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
RobTune

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

£ 195.00
$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Machine - For Sale
Olympia, WA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
$ 179.00
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Las Vegas, NV
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, PA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 227 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-did-you-learn-from-your-last-repair/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.