New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 57216)

What did 90s era pins sell for new?

By rcoultas

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 41 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Newsom
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

2013-07-19_05.34.32.png

#1 7 years ago

I have been googling and I can't find a resource for list prices for 90s era pinball machines. I own a STTNG and wonder how the machine has appreciated over time. It would also be interesting to see how they compare to the new stern machines adjusted for inflation.

#2 7 years ago

Purchased CV in 1998 for $2300 NIB

#3 7 years ago

Here is a fun site for inflation. The fireball home model my parents bought for 800 bucks in the 70's would have cost almost 4000 bucks in 2012 money http://www.westegg.com/inflation/

#4 7 years ago

Which means its a bit more than the stern home pin

#5 7 years ago

That is a neat calculator....$3216 for CV in 2012; according to it.

#6 7 years ago

This twilight zone popped up with a original reciept from 1994 chicago.craigslist.org link

#7 7 years ago

Ha the CV is worth less lol messed up! To bad that is not true in real life lol!

#8 7 years ago

Here is a pic in case it gets sold

2013-07-19_05.34.32.png

#9 7 years ago

A-List 90's WPC games for under $4K...pinch me...its all a dream

#10 7 years ago
    Quoted from Captive_Ball:

not dreaming it was good back then

#11 7 years ago

Purchased CV in 1998 for $2300 NIB

Wasn't that the clearance price when they couldn't sell them for MSRP then?

#12 7 years ago

Stern will never hold its value or improve (LOTR exception to the rule). I know this upsets you fan boys and I like some new sterns but if you can tell me with a straight face that sterns these days are built to the same quality standard of early 90's Williams and Bally you are in denile... Get real

#13 7 years ago
    Quoted from GaryMartin:

They were higher in Fall 1993
    Superpin with a super price just over 4k

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from GaryMartin:

Ouch...now my sack hurts. I don't know, that was the price...called a local distributor and got that price. What was the MSRP then?

#15 7 years ago
    Quoted from mickthepin:

Stern will never hold its value or improve (LOTR exception to the rule). I know this upsets you fan boys and I like some new sterns but if you can tell me with a straight face that sterns these days are built to the same quality standard of early 90's Williams and Bally you are in denile... Get real

The prices of TSPP, FGY, Spidey, POTC, IM, BDK, Tron LE, ACDC LE, etc prove you wrong. Also you're in denial about how to spell denial.

#16 7 years ago

Inflation is all that has been added to those titles .....denial

#17 7 years ago

My point is revisit these games in 20 years and see how they are doing

#18 7 years ago

also where has IM improved in value??

#19 7 years ago

NGG on closeout for 1900.00

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from mickthepin:

also where has IM improved in value??

NIB it was about $3800. People are selling them for 5-6k now.

#21 7 years ago
    Quoted from GaryMartin:

Yup. Got my CV NIB, delivered, around May/June 1998 for $2100. Still have it, and it plays just beautifully. I think the regular (non-clearance) price was around $3500. Typical price for those games ($3.5k +/-) And a LOT of TZs were being sold in the late 90's for around $1500-$1700. I passed with no regrets.

#22 7 years ago

Same pins, different market, different prices. Mickthepin while you might be right regarding australian pricing. I think you'll have to defer to rare hero and concede he knows how the grass grows in his backyard.

Must remember our nib prices are higher then theirs even at the peak of the Aussie battler/dollar and there is a current saturation with everyman and his gerbal importing a container from Europe. You must also concede that le torn has appreciated significantly but this is the eXception rather then the rule but it does fly in the face of your absolute conviction.

#23 7 years ago
    Quoted from FatAussieBogan:

Same pins, different market, different prices. Mickthepin while you might be right regarding australian pricing. I think you'll have to defer to rare hero and concede he knows how the grass grows in his backyard.
    Must remember our nib prices are higher then theirs even at the peak of the Aussie battler/dollar and there is a current saturation with everyman and his gerbal importing a container from Europe. You must also concede that le torn has appreciated significantly but this is the eXception rather then the rule but it does fly in the face of your absolute conviction.

Ah, that makes sense...didn't realize the NIB vs. used pricing ratio outside of the US. But yeah, in the US, the good Sterns have held value & increased over the years. They've made some solid fun games, created by the same artists and designers that worked for Bally/Williams. Steve Ritchie, Pat Lawlor, Dennis Nordman, Keith Johnson, Lyman Sheats, etc. If these well respected games ever drop in value, it's because pinball as a whole is dropping...it will all be relative, IMO. In 20 years most of the hardcore collectors will be old/dying/dead so - yeah, prices probably WILL drop in 20 years lol....anyway, I'm not worried about it - enjoy the present.

#24 7 years ago

This used to happen all the time in the early 90s. I was just talking with someone yesterday and we were both talking about how 10 years ago, you could get TZs and TAFs (and MANY more) for $1500 or less. In particular, TZs you could get super cheaply everywhere because the game sucked on route - not just did it not earn, but it fell apart constantly and had tons of problems.

Quoted from mickthepin:

Ha! Clearly, you're not an op.

The market is different, so whether Sterns will hold their value or improve is more difficult to nail down. They aren't on route any more. When Williams was making their DMD games, they were making them to put on route and earn money, not sell for tons of money down the line. 10 years ago, you could buy nearly every pin that B/W made for less than they sold it for, with very few exceptions (like Medieval Madness) because they were route monsters. Ops didn't want to give up old games that made more than brand new games...

But as for their build quality, EVERY operator that I know says that Sterns are FAR more solid out of the box than Williams games ever were. The thing is you're looking at them through a prism. When you guy a Twilight Zone today for instance, you don't see all of the work that has been done on it to get it to work. You don't see all of the adjustments that were done by the last person to make sure it's working perfectly. You just see that it is working and think it must have always been that way.

Then, you open up a new Stern that hasn't been playing 5,000 times and adjusted the whole way, and a couple switches are flaky or a few lights go out and people freak out because it is new and should work better.

The way that it worked (in general) was this, as confirmed to me by multiple different ops... Gottlieb games were the ones known for actually having real build quality, but they earned poorly. Bally / Williams games needed a bunch of tweaking and adjustment, but earned and worked solidly once that was done (generally, TZ was a huge exception actually, it SUCKED on route). Data East / Sega earned the best initially, but generally had the most problems out of the box and in the field. They got better with time however, and the games made at the end (like South Park) were very solid. Stern continued that trend.

#25 7 years ago
    Quoted from mickthepin:

I wouldn't go near the Nile right now, Egypt is not safe at the moment

Also, it was a different time/market back then. The home collector market was MUCH smaller, hence less demand for used games, equals cheaper pricing. Now days, with a HUGE home market, games will be more expensive, used or not.

#26 7 years ago
    Quoted from mickthepin:

Stern will never hold its value or improve

Do you have a crystal ball jammed up your @ss somewhere? Games like Popeye, Hurricane, JD, Johnny Mn, etc have not exactly shot through the roof. And all of those bad boys (including MM, AFM, CV, etc) had many issues out of box (been beaten to death in other discussions).

#27 7 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

But as for their build quality, EVERY operator that I know says that Sterns are FAR more solid out of the box than Williams games ever were.

This.

#28 7 years ago

Cactus Canyon was $1500 on closeout at my distributor.

#29 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Cactus Canyon was $1500 on closeout at my distributor.

If only I had money at the time! ...and a house! ...and knew about pinball!

I guess the closest I've been was the WOF clearance from Starburst.

#30 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

If only I had money at the time! ...and a house! ...and knew about pinball!

Had the money....but didn't realize was going to get hooked like this!

#31 7 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

I was just talking with someone yesterday and we were both talking about how 10 years ago, you could get TZs and TAFs (and MANY more) for $1500 or less. In particular, TZs you could get super cheaply everywhere because the game sucked on route - not just did it not earn, but it fell apart constantly and had tons of problems.

Maybe if you knew an operator.

The typical price for a decent to nice TZ or TAF in 2003 was certainly more than $1500 or less.
    Many WPCs were $1500 or less but those two were not.

#32 7 years ago

I was a teenager in the 90s with hardly any money. Missed the boat. =(

#33 7 years ago
    Quoted from Newsom:

The typical price for a decent to nice TZ or TAF in 2003 was certainly more than $1500 or less.
    Many WPCs were $1500 or less but those two were not.

Of course the typical price was more than $1500 or less. Unless it was exactly $1500.

Sub-$2k prices were the norm in the late 90's tho--at least for dogs like TZ.

#34 7 years ago
    Quoted from StevenP:

Of course the typical price was more than $1500 or less. Unless it was exactly $1500.
    Sub-$2k prices were the norm in the late 90's tho--at least for dogs like TZ.

Guess that I should have typed more than "$1500 or less."

Yes, in the 90s, TZ and TAF were sub $2K (and at times "$1.5K or less"), but by 2003, not so much.

#35 7 years ago

Funny, I was offered them both multiple times at that pricing around 2003 when I really started actively buying (I already had two machines before that). Having said that, the average game back then was a dirty fixer-upper, but I remember vividly an op that I know trying to convince me to take a TZ for $1k as part of another deal I was making with him.

The clock didn't work. There were no repro parts yet for it to fix it back up. And I don't like the game. Easy pass... But definitely not uncommon.

If you were buying the way most on Pinside do, however, yes... $2k would be more fair.

#36 7 years ago

I recall buying a Monster bash in 1999 for $3,200. This pin had about 40 plays on it. They guy had just bought it off a KC distributor, didn't care for it (oi vey) and let me have it for what he paid for it. That was one of the first pins we bought, had it in our upstairs den for the longest time. I have always kicked myself for selling it back in 2003. The one we have now will be getting (and needs) a complete restoration shortly.

#37 7 years ago
    Quoted from Newsom:

Guess that I should have typed more than "$1500 or less."
    Yes, in the 90s, TZ and TAF were sub $2K (and at times "$1.5K or less"), but by 2003, not so much.

I purchased my fully working TZ over the Christmas holiday in 1997 for $1300 delivered from a distributor in town. At the same time, TAF was going for just around $1900-2200 fully working. Could you find them for less? Maybe, but in late 1997, early 1998 the going rate was over $2000 for an Addams in fully working condition. You had to know an operator to find them for less, and of course the game would usually be unshopped with some issues.

Fast forward to 2003. Mr Pinball 2003 price guide shows TZ at $2225 and Addams at $2275. I seem to remember Addams selling for more of a premium in our local area. Again, you could find the games for less, but you would have to put some money into them to bring them up to par. If a TZ had been on the street for 9 or 10 years, it needed a lot of work to get it to 100%. Parts to fix the game were still available, but no plastics or playfields.

#38 7 years ago

Inflation has run rampant with this industry.

#39 7 years ago
    Quoted from dementedwarlok:

Here is a fun site for inflation. The fireball home model my parents bought for 800 bucks in the 70's would have cost almost 4000 bucks in 2012 money http://www.westegg.com/inflation/

In defense, it was a Bally "professional home model". Bally Makes the Games People Play.

#40 7 years ago

From my memory....closeouts are not a good indicator of what the game pricing model was overall as someone still purchased the game at the true wholesale value. But...I recall...

early 90s - $2495 wholesale ($3100 in todays dollars)
    later 90s - $2995 wholesale ($3500 in todays dollars)
    pb2k 90s - $3295 wholesale ($3650 in todays dollars)

In most cases add in from $500-$1000 markup at the distributor level. Most disturbs were regulated and kept pricing on par unless you bought in quantity. So a pro model today at $3800 ($4200 msrp) is really not out of line. But do you get the same value per dollar?

Jpop

#41 7 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

Funny, I was offered them both multiple times at that pricing around 2003 when I really started actively buying (I already had two machines before that). Having said that, the average game back then was a dirty fixer-upper, but I remember vividly an op that I know trying to convince me to take a TZ for $1k as part of another deal I was making with him.
    The clock didn't work. There were no repro parts yet for it to fix it back up. And I don't like the game. Easy pass... But definitely not uncommon.
    If you were buying the way most on Pinside do, however, yes... $2k would be more fair.

Like I said

Quoted from Newsom:

TZs and TAFs were highly collectable in 2003.

Quoted from goatdan:

In particular, TZs you could get super cheaply everywhere because the game sucked on route - not just did it not earn, but it fell apart constantly and had tons of problems.

There were not super cheap TZs everywhere in 2003.

By 2003, many collectors had already sought out and bought TZs from operators, as TZ has always been a popular game to own.

Yes, a person might have been able to track down a broken unshopped TZ for <$1500 if you knew an operator. However, the price for a working, clean TZ was >$2000, as Brian Bannon states

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Playfield - Plastics
    Maple Street Sign Shop
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 22.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Williamson Pinball Mods
    $ 25.00
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 7,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 1,000.00
    $ 7.95
    Various Novelties
    PIC
    $ 139.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 2.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Game Room Info Shop
    $ 68.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 26.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    € 8.10
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    $ 65.00
    Boards
    Pinball Haus
    $ 3.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 15.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 11.95
    $ 6,995.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 200.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 24.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside