Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 101 posts
  • 78 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by edcianci
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What did you run out of first?”

• Space 190 votes
      60%
    • Money 107 votes
      34%
    • Understanding and patience from others 21 votes
      7%

(318 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

boatsandhos.jpg
    Million_Dollar_Man.jpg
    Star_Trek_ship.jpg
    pepsi_room01_web_sm.jpg
    There are 101 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 11 years ago

As I'm discussing with my very understanding wife the probability of putting pins in our bedroom that don't fit in the gameroom I find myself wondering just what the limiting factor is with the number of pins people have.
    Is it room, money, or understanding from people who share the life of a pinster?

As we all know, this is not a hobby that's necessarily small or cheap!

As I'm contemplating finishing my basement to house pins....

#2 11 years ago

For me it is both space and money...

#3 11 years ago

I would have to say "yes" to all of them!

#4 11 years ago

I would like to say space, but I always seem to be able to fit one more

#6 11 years ago

WIFE

#7 11 years ago

I think that if I were to resort to pins in the bedroom that I would be having a talk with a divorce lawyer first and then shortly after be moving those pins in.

Probably need to ask yourself... am I approaching HOARD Mode?

#8 11 years ago
    Quoted from EmptyLogic:

I think that if I were to resort to pins in the bedroom that I would be having a talk with a divorce lawyer first and then shortly after be moving those pins in.

but with your wife's stuff gone, you won't need to move them to the bedroom...I would imagine that you would have plenty of room for pins all throughout the house.

#9 11 years ago

I put space but "all of the above" applies.

If it doesn't fit in the basement (with the pool table, TV & sitting area & workout area) then it doesn't fit....period.

I figure I'll max out somewhere around 6.

#10 11 years ago

Actually my wife is the one that suggested putting some in there!

I've spoken with a fellow pinsider who actually openly admitted to crossing the hoarding line

#11 11 years ago

I completely agree with the comments above. Keep them out of the bedroom. That's over the top.

It's interesting how obsessive we seem to get about this hobby (and I am certainly no exception). Other than my wife, the main thing that holds me in check is lack of space. I don't want pins in the dining room, etc., which means that only one place is available, and it is already nearly full. I think the answer for me is going to have to be to rotate machines periodically. I can't hang on to everything and just keep adding more. That seems to be the resolution that a lot of people reach.

#12 11 years ago

I've got 5, going to be 4 once I fix one more issue with one of them. I'd like to stay around 4 for now, after I get everything fixed up the way I want it, there's a MAME project (x2) that I'd like to get to.

I'd also like to finish my basement before I go above 4, then it's all holds barred. My wife pretty much knows and agrees the basement is just going to be an arcade (at least half of it). Pins are much harder to move around if your trying to finish it.

I never want pins out of the basement, scattering them in the rest of the house looks obsessive, plus all my parts/tools are down there. It would just make working on them in other areas of the house more difficult.

#13 11 years ago

Easy... $$$

You can always have more room with money. You can always make your wife happy with more money.

Money controls over 80% of our lives, like it or not.

#14 11 years ago
    Quoted from VisitorQ:

Easy... $$$
    You can always have more room with money. You can always make your wife happy with more money.
    Money controls over 80% of our lives, like it or not.

Not true at all. Some wives want to be in control of your happiness quotient, even when money is not an issue.

#15 11 years ago

Keep them out of the bedroom. That's over the top.

So, you're saying there is something WRONG with this bedroom????

pepsi_room01_web_sm.jpgpepsi_room01_web_sm.jpg

#16 11 years ago

LoL @ the wife being a restriction.
    But yeahI suppose all the above apply to me but mostly room is my issue I have room for only 15 games atm. My biggest issue realy.
    I can have as many as we can fit in the utility area and the kids room but i i tried our bedroom or her study it might end up me becoming single lol.
    But even though i cant keep everything i want i do appreciate the opportunity to restore and have the chance to get to know each pin that rolls through here.
    So if you cant have em all try to work on and spend time with em all

#17 11 years ago

I guess ultimately I have to go with money. As others mentioned money could buy bigger house and more space, and keep the ladies happy all at the same time, well for the most part.

#18 11 years ago

I suppose another one i forgot to mention should be time and finding the unrestored machines for the right price as well is a factor.
    I know buying a house is a solution but see my area is dead atm last major industry in my town just closed so leasing a condo is my only real option atm becouse I have to wait for the kid to turn 18 before I can relocate.
    If this country keeps going to hell I might just relocate to Australia I do have dual citizenship afterall.
    Im a self employed builder and this era being dead its getting hard to keep above water with the business Im offsetting losses with other ventures and currency conversion etc but I dont want to survive I need to thrive.

#19 11 years ago

thats pretty funny tg...hope thats not you bedroom

Its absolutely space for me. I will run out of room on my 5th pin (woz).
    Problem is that i cant get rid of what i have....I wont ...I will not....I have to keep saying that.

#20 11 years ago

My limit: my sanity from working on them.

#21 11 years ago

Wait 'til I post the pictures of my Re-organized space! My wife's deal was "No coin-op above the basement". So I got the whole basement. Now, it's full. Well, I *could* fit one more if I loose the fridge and microwave but, I'm full! And I put a video game in storage so a pin would have space. For me it's been space, but money usually has something to do with it as well.

#22 11 years ago
    Quoted from The_Gorilla:

So, you're saying there is something WRONG with this bedroom???? []

I'll make an exception in this case!

#23 11 years ago

Time investment. I still cannot fathom how people with more than like 10-15 machines can ever have time for anything else. There is always some nagging issue that should be looked at, and it drives me nuts to know it is there. I have more space, and sometimes I might even have the funds(read: currently single), but I am actually fighting with myself to not go any higher than 7. I'm afraid I might lose the fight though.

#24 11 years ago

I'm going to say money, but it's more along the lines of "I'm not willing to pay what's being asked for the games that I've found for sale." If the right deal popped up on a game I want, I'd buy it. Then, I'd be out of space. Well, actually, then I'd be rearranging things.

#25 11 years ago

For me it's definitely option #3 "Understanding and patience from others". I probably have room for another 50 pins in my basement. I have an agreement with my wife, however, that I will not let the collection grow beyond the allotted space. This limits me to about 13 games at any given time.

#26 11 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

My limit: my sanity from working on them.

Aw come on J stay with it

#27 11 years ago

Right now it's space for me

#28 11 years ago
    Quoted from The_Gorilla:

Nice bedroom!!! Are you a big Pepsi drinker like me?

#29 11 years ago

I ran out of money before buying my first!

#30 11 years ago

Space is an issue, but one that can be overcome. Even if I have to have a pin folded up for a short while or residing in the off-site gameroom (aka my studio at work) it's not a big deal.
    I'd have to say money is the only real limiting factor.

#31 11 years ago

Space mostly. We are about to have 4 in our tiny little condo, and my wife would probably let me get away with getting a Tron if I could figure out how to pay for it.

#32 11 years ago

I ran out of space, built a garage. wife wont allow them in the house anymore. she also told me that if i buy another pin she will destroy it. so that was my limiting factor. I am allowed to trade however..

something about my kids future and not spending money on her projects blah blah.. no no no honey, this was a free pinball they were throwing out - they didnt want it any more.. seriously!

#33 11 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Space mostly. We are about to have 4 in our tiny little condo, and my wife would probably let me get away with getting a Tron if I could figure out how to pay for it.

Tron'll go in the bedroom. Buying a NIB would make it the cleanest without any effort!

#34 11 years ago

For me it's cash. I can probably come up with enough to by a NIB LE a year....alhtough this year I was able to scrape up a bit more. I have a 2100SQ basement that's begging to be loaded up =)

#35 11 years ago
    Quoted from Quiddity:

Tron'll go in the bedroom. Buying a NIB would make it the cleanest without any effort!

Woman speak truth.

#37 11 years ago
    Quoted from The_Gorilla:

Yes, pin should be Rollergames.

1 week later
    #38 11 years ago
    Quoted from EmptyLogic:

That is if YOU get the house. :-0

Ken

#39 11 years ago

Interesting
    I talked to a guy I bought a game from few years ago
    he bought a fixer upper home didn't furnish it but filled it with about 100 + pins
    I guess it was cheaper then renting a few units at the lackland center ?

#40 11 years ago

I answered the poll per the poll question, and went w/ ....space.
    Space is what I ran out of 1st.

Based on thread topic question, I would say that money dictates how many pins I have.

To me the two questions are slightly different.

NJGecko really put it nicely with the wording in the 3rd choice.
    Some other Pinsiders probably would have worded that choice a bit less friendly.

#42 11 years ago

Mainly space, but also a feeling that one more is just too much from a sanity viewpoint... life is limited in time, and there comes a point when one more would mean that the chance of fixing it up in the time I've got left on this planet is reduced to the point where getting it makes no sense... of course if it was something special that would go to the front of the queue, then I'd get it!

#43 11 years ago

Only Money. For now anyways. I will soon run out of space. Problem is my GF is going to start buying some titles also.

#44 11 years ago

Shoot_Again,
    Not quite sure how that's a problem. Just put a pin or two at your buddies place temporarily.
    Most of us pinheads would like to have your problem, especially if your g/f has great taste in pins and buys some cool machines. What are some of the titles she is leaning toward getting?
    Cheers!

#45 11 years ago

Anything with monsters usually. She pre ordered WOZLE.

Games she likes TAF, MB, Pinbot, IJ, Haunted House.

She has excellent taste obviously.... She is with me

It is really only money that is the issue. Just too many other things going on right now to get every title we would both want.

She likes to play some head to head arcade games more than pins most of the time but she does get the pin bug.

#46 11 years ago

Basement, perfect place, wife never goes there. By using about 50 % of space I could keep 39 pins.

#47 11 years ago

If you think about it, space can never really be the problem, just money and sanity... If you run out of space and have enough money, simply buy another house with enough land to build the gamesroom you want and then build it... or pay someone else to build it... Space can always be bought if you have the money... so money and/or preserving a sense of sanity on the thing can be the only two real limiting factors... Oh yes, and considering the wishes of life-partners...

#48 11 years ago

My wife wouldn't be the limiting factor in this case. I personally wouldn't put a pin in our bedroom, that seems like a little much, not to mention tacky as hell.

#49 11 years ago
    Quoted from NJGecko:

Is it room, money, or understanding from people who share the life of a pinster?

Hey, how did I get dragged into this!?

#50 11 years ago

There's one choice missing from the list... the feeling that you simply have enough and therefore don't want any more!

There are 101 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-dictates-how-many-pins-you-have and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.