Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Atomicboy
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

kind of an 'out there' question, but after Williams bought Bally, what determined if it was labelled as a "B" or "W"? Random, design team, or amount of each(or something else)?

#2 10 years ago

I think they alternated brands as the games were released. Not sure but that's my understanding.

#3 10 years ago

kinda what I thought, but seems to be more "W", maybe an ex employee? anyone?

#4 10 years ago

good question for some debat/speculation

#5 10 years ago

They didn't alternate.

And Pat Lawlor pins were usually B.

LTG : )

#6 10 years ago

From Ask Uncle Willy #15, June 4, 1998:

Question: How do you decide which game is manufactured under the Bally
    label or which one under the Williams label?

Answer: This has been one of the industry's most closely guarded secrets.
    Unfortunately Pat Lawlor let his guard down at the last PinballExpo,
    and revealed the precise formula: "First we make a
    Williams. Then we make a Bally. Then we make a Williams. Then
    we make a Bally..."

Uncle Willy can't think of any way to explain it better than that!

#7 10 years ago

Don't forget Midway also
    Attack from mars and Medieval madness were same design teams and not same brand?

#8 10 years ago

My understanding is that licensed games were under Bally, and unlicensed/original themes were Williams. Haven't run through the games to see if that holds true.....

#9 10 years ago
    Quoted from aztarac:

My understanding is that licensed games were under Bally, and unlicensed/original themes were Williams. Haven't run through the games to see if that holds true.....

Nope. Safe Cracker was Bally and unlicensed.

#10 10 years ago

Congo was a Williams game also.

#11 10 years ago

Monster bash was a licensed Horror (Williams)

#12 10 years ago

....and Theatre of Magic was Bally unlicensed. Maybe design teams' choice then with a certain ratio set by Williams? Or just very random, just seems to be more Williams (naturally I suppose)

#13 10 years ago

Coin flip??

#14 10 years ago

It's strange they kept both. Branding is so important, and although they were both powerful names in pinball history, you think they would have wanted to decide on one and really ride that name and brand.

#15 10 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

It's strange they kept both. Branding is so important, and although they were both powerful names in pinball history, you think they would have wanted to decide on one and really ride that name and brand.

and that's exactly why they didn't. There are people loyal to both names, don't offend any of the customer base.

#16 10 years ago
    Quoted from volkdrive:

....and Theatre of Magic was Bally unlicensed. Maybe design teams' choice then with a certain ratio set by Williams? Or just very random, just seems to be more Williams (naturally I suppose)

Theatre of Magic was released as un-licensed, but was a licensed theme for most of its development. It was originally planned to be called "The Magic of David Copperfield".

#17 10 years ago

I thought it had something to do with the Bally games being made with Bally parts, Williams with Willams parts, etc.

#18 10 years ago
    Quoted from RawleyD:

I thought it had something to do with the Bally games being made with Bally parts, Williams with Willams parts, etc.

Except there are all Williams parts in there. From 90 some suppliers.

#19 10 years ago

They are the GM of pinball. whether it be chev or gmc.....they are all GM vehicles with the same parts. Just like all the wpc machines....williams or bally, same thing and same parts etc..No difference...just the name..
    But they are all WMS games.
    They made one williams and one bally then williams then bally. rinse and repeat.. Bally only parts were used up during the system 11 era..

#20 10 years ago
    Quoted from Hawk007:

They made one williams and one bally then williams then bally. rinse and repeat..

That theory doesn't hold either.

#21 10 years ago

yea but close enough..it was something like that. there are licensed and non licensed for each. They probably put out games under B or W to keep fans or clients/ops happy.

#22 10 years ago
    Quoted from Hawk007:

They probably put out games under B or W to keep fans or clients/ops happy.

I wonder if it was internal ? Separate divisions, run games down one or the other to cook the books.

#23 10 years ago

good call ........I also think the bally had more of the b**bie games and the more adult themed games.... both elviras are bally, cftbl, champ pub, judge dredd etc ... Williams titled games seem to be more teen geared or family friendly....roadshow, funhouse,fishtales etc
    but there are always exceptions as Dracula was williams...So I think you may have nailed it LTG
    Cheers and have a great Christmas!!
    Hawk

#24 10 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I wonder if it was internal ? Separate divisions, run games down one or the other to cook the books.

that makes the most sense of all. I work for a company that does much the same thing. Basicly the same product, two different names, most parts interchange. And for the most part it is random, no set order.

#25 10 years ago
    Quoted from Hawk007:

Williams titled games seem to be more teen geared or family friendly....roadshow, funhouse,fishtales etc
    but there are always exceptions as Dracula was williams...So I think you may have nailed it LTG

ummm MB probably the dirtiest non-swear/adult rom'd game ever made.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-determined-b-or-w and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.