(Topic ID: 197551)

What could cause no coils to fire besides flippers?

By megalo17

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 49 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Quench
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Stars Stern Electronics, 1978

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0781 (resized).JPG
IMG_1414.gif
IMG_1402c.jpg
Alltek-SDB.jpg
IMG_5725 (resized).PNG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CrazyLevi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

100% guarantee it's the 1A fuse under the playfield between the flippers that is blown.
Make sure you replace it with a 1A slow blow fuse, don't substitute in 2A or 3A or 5A. These will sometimes just go bad from flipper vibration as that's where it's located. If it blows immediately after installing, then you have other issues.

I have this exact problem on STARS but it's not the 1A fuse, OR any continuity. No breaks in the daisy chain. It's driving me insane. I even tried jumping over the fuse holder, and jumping power directly from the flipper coils to the other coils. I've also repinned most (but not all) connectors, I'll get the rest this weekend.

Flippers and lock out coil works, nothing else. getting only 17 volts at the flippers (which work perfectly!) and 17 volts at all coils. Can't get them to fire. It's really driving me crazy.

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from Thrillhouse:

Have you checked your rectifier board? Had a similar issue with my meteor, some of the coils ground connection is on there and not on the SDB.

How did you fix this? Rebuilding the connectors? Or were there rectifier board issues?

Me and the OP are trying to figure out the same issue on the same game.

#29 6 years ago

I have the exact same problem on the exact same game and I'm also following this thread. Thanks!

I suspect connection error between the boards.

Or maybe it's just a Stars thing and an alltek defect. I've used TWO different alltek MPUs and SDBs so it's likely not defective boards.

#33 6 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

What's changed on your machine between it working and now not working?

It was never working. Project game. Wouldn't boot when I got it, I have now gotten it to the same spot as the OP.

#34 6 years ago
Quoted from wdennie:

I might of missed it but did you do a switch test?
I had a stern melody lane that did the same thing ended up being a tilt switch closed.

That's interesting. I have a couple non-working switches which are maybe stuck closed? Wasn't bothering tracking down the switch issues till I figured out the bigger solenoid issue. Will look into that.

#45 6 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

If the solenoid diagnostic LEDs don't flash for the momentary solenoids, then it probably means there's a communication issue between the MPU board and the SDB. The flipper enable relay and coin lockout coil are considered "continuous coils" and use different signals from the MPU board.
Check that you have proper continuity between MPU connector J4 pin 10 and SDB connector J4 pin 7. A poor connection on this solenoid enable signal can cause none of the momentary solenoids to activate.

Are you sure this is correct?

I have no wire at mpu j4 pin 10. The mustard and red wire that is at j47 on the sdb is at mpu j4 pin 9.

There is indeed continuity. But if it's pinned one off at the mpu that would certainly explain my issue.

#46 6 years ago

That was indeed the issue.

Two happy Stars owners in this thread now.

Thanks for the help everyone especially quench!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 69.00
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 169.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
St. Louis, MO
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Boards
Troxel Repair

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
$ 199.95
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CrazyLevi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-could-cause-no-coils-to-fire-besides-flippers?tu=CrazyLevi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.