(Topic ID: 148482)

What constitutes a "low use" game? How many plays?

By embryonjohn

8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Duff
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Picked up a really clean 1977 Gottlieb Jet Spin today. Went out to the pick expecting the worst and found a game that looked like it was hardly even played. The game count meter (this is one of those JS's with only one meter, not two) shows under 30,000 plays.
That's an average of 750 games per year for nearly 40 years or roughly two plays per day...
My Nip-It has less than 20,000 and is 4 years older.
I'd say that's kinda low.
What would you consider a low use game?

#2 8 years ago

I've seen a few threads about this subject before and they usually end up with everyone agreeing that it doesn't really matter. The most important aspect of the game is the condition. You'll have people say they have games with bazillions of plays that look brand new and others have games with 100 plays and look like beaters. I think they were put in there for ops to determine which games were getting more play or for bookkeeping purposes anyway. I haven't heard of a game with ridiculously low plays increasing the value at all.

#3 8 years ago

The op isn't asking about condition - I think the point is just pondering what people would consider low plays.

I have absolutely no idea.. I have yet to delve into the book keeping on any of mine but I'd be curious especially if some peoples games showed some kind of consistency - as in certain titles tending to have way more plays. I would have to assume that Games like taf and mm statistically would trend higher on plays but I wonder if some newer titles might be slowly catching up.

#4 8 years ago

I think it really depends on era of game.

A Jet Spin with 30,000 plays is pretty damn low in my book. I would consider any EM with less than 50,000 pretty low.

#5 8 years ago

As a former route guy, I can say that trusting the meters on an old EM is not wise. They hardly ever matched the coin box cash when collecting each week. In some EM's, the counters wouldn't even work or they'd stop so we would have to replace them. On the SS games, all you had to do is reset the audits or pull the batteries and there was no way to verify how many games were played on it. All play/coin audits on the SS games were always reset when a game was moved to a new location or sold.

Steve

#6 8 years ago

I have a Gottlieb Pioneer with 26,942 plays on the meter.

#7 8 years ago

Never really understood low plays as an indicator of use. 50 plays from someone who can make it deep into games provides more stress than a couple hundred flail fest from your average Joe. Games are meant to be played and limiting your play to keep value is equally baffling. If you take care of your games it will be noticeable..

Alan

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Lighting
Space Coast Pinball

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-constitutes-a-low-use-game-how-many-plays and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.