(Topic ID: 56905)

What condition do you find acceptable for a NIB machine?

By Krakatoa

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Mato
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

Wanted to post a question to the group to get others thoughts. When you purchase a NIB machine, what do you expect to be acceptable condition? More specifically, cosmetically, do you expect the cabinet, side rails and lockdown bars to be 100% mint and no scratches, dings, etc..?

Or do you accept dents and blemishes to be ok and part of the purchasing proces? Reason i ask is i have a minor issue with a game that I purchased NIB with dented/ banged up trim. Called them, they sent out new trim, and the new piece is dinged up worse than the first.

I fully expect new machines to need minor mechanical adjustments, and i dont want to be a jackass customer, but I also think the thing should at least look awesome when its new. I can't really fix a dinged and dented lockdown bar myself. Just wondering if I'm being too anal retentive?

#2 10 years ago

I don't think you are being too anal. I bought a new car this year and if it had a dented bumper or a ding in the door I would have been pissed. When you buy a new machine it should look new.

#3 10 years ago

Nib should be in prestine condition but shipping and handling makes it almost impossible because of the size and weight of the box

Still there is a limit in what is acceptable

#4 10 years ago

It should look new . not slightly new . I agree that things will need adjusted but as far as cosmetic wise it should be pristine.

#5 10 years ago

It shouldn't be dented up if it's NIB.

#6 10 years ago

Cool, thanks for the replies. I'll call them back tomorrow and ask for another one.

On a side note, when I asked my wife her opinion and showed her the dents in the replacement lockdown bar that was sent, she looked at me, shrugged, and said " what's the big deal? it's just a toy". Almost puked up the Mountain Dew I was drinking. And she wonders why I don't involve her more...

#7 10 years ago

These are commercial machines. Very minor flaws are acceptable. Less so on the premiums and LE's because of the premium price you pay. It's acceptable to ask for another piece until you get one that is nice.

#8 10 years ago
    Quoted from Phatchit:

It should look new . not slightly new .

Tell that to the guy that installs the T- molding on new Sterns.

#9 10 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Tell that to the guy that installs the T- molding on new Sterns.

I usually peel that gaudy crap off of there and replace it with bumpy black if the game has black armor.
    It makes the games look cheap IMO.
    YMMV.

#10 10 years ago

Cosmetically, it should be 99% pristine. If this is a stern and your having a problem with trim, lockdown bar, etc...they won't have any problems replacing it. They may ask for pics or for you to send the bunk trim back. But they've always supported their product.

#11 10 years ago
    Quoted from Eskaybee:

If this is a stern and your having a problem with trim,

I figure on an LE, It shouldn't look like somebody installed that stuff with a hammer.

#12 10 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I figure on an LE, It shouldn't look like somebody installed that stuff with a hammer.

But it *was* installed with a hammer!

#13 10 years ago

Oh pinside!

#14 10 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

But it *was* installed with a hammer!

Theres got to be a better way, actually it looks like it might have been the end of the roll.
    Ya still want this one Rob?

Never mind, my shaker just arrived! Forget about the trim for now.

#15 10 years ago

Not acceptable at all. When you pay $6000+ for a product it should be perfect. I had problems with both my Tron and XMEN. Tron had a deep scratch on the playfield and bubbling in the clear coat. XMEN was a disaster it didn't even mechanically work. With XMEN I had to send the whole unit back for a new one and they took care of me with Tron too. Stern has crappy QA but top notch customer service. They really do stand behind their product.

Someone explained it to me once that Stern is used to making pinball machines for operators. Operators won't care if there is bubbling in the clear coat or a ding here or there because it is just going on route to be beat up anyway. Stern is not used to making pinball machines for picky home collectors, where it will be going into there basement. Home collectors are much more picky, myself included, Stern is just getting used to this idea. They are taking baby steps towards us home collectors high standards but they are improving in the QA department with every new run though.

#16 10 years ago

they need to take giant steps to rectify the quality problem. in the past when 95% of the games went to operators. now? it has swung polar opposite. When i think of any area where I know of pinballs in the wild I know of 5 times as many games in collectors homes. in the tri cities locally I know of three in the wild and 20 or more in collections? north of here? I only know of pins in private residences. the same applies to my second home in the south. I know of five locations that have a total of 10 games and an additional 50 games (or more) in collections. stern needs to keep up with the market.

#17 10 years ago

I want nothing less than MINTY

are you ok with dents in new cars?

Just my opinion flame on.

#18 10 years ago

perfect. If they didn't design the packing against shipping damage; it's the seller's fault.
    I wouldn't expect a single issue with my NIB machine. Even the code should be "finished" given what they charge

#19 10 years ago

has to be in tip top condition, when you drop x amount on a new machine you should get a new machine without dings, scratches or broken shit!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-condition-do-you-find-acceptable-for-a-nib-machine and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.