New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 120288)

What color LED in Getaway Yellow/orange inserts?

By Geocab

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Isjack
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20150303_162826.jpg

#1 5 years ago

Hi there, quick question, I'm trying to put a list together of LEDs for my Getaway, but I can't decide what I should put in the orangeish/yellow inserts. I figured the theme is red, yellow, green like a traffic light, but the inserts look more orange to me.

Stick with warm white? Yellow?

Advice is appreciated.

#2 5 years ago

Use warm white. I tried color matching and natural white in my Getaway but did not look as good.

#3 5 years ago

If I remember correctly, purple looked really good in orange inserts when Herg was playing around with his a couple years ago.

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

If I remember correctly, purple looked really good in orange inserts when Herg was playing around with his a couple years ago.

That sounds like it would make brown light lol... going to have to try it now.

#5 5 years ago

Warm White if a 5050 1 SMD "Super"

You can color match with yellow and orange in a Twin 2835 frosted....They are bright enough.

Also 4 SMD, or 2 SMD faceted in yellow and Orange, but I prefer the Twins.....

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

f I remember correctly, purple looked really good in orange inserts

That was actually pink under orange, and the original recommendation came from markmon, I think. It's kinda hard to wrap your head around, but think of the insert as a filter rather than thinking about mixing the colors. If there's light in the orange range, the orange plastic does a nice job of filtering out the other wavelengths that are in there. Most of the time, if I want orange, I'll use a nice bright orange bulb like an Op-Max.

In HS2, I used warm white under those stoplights. I'm not sure why those were orange-yellow to begin with, but the warm white came out looking like a nice yellow light.

Where it gets really tricky is if you want yellow, orange-yellow, and orange to all look different. My brother's Funhouse was a real challenge because of this.

#7 5 years ago

You can use Frosted Orange or Frosted Yellow SMD leds from Cointaker (brighter) or Comet.

#8 5 years ago

I used warm white in the yellow inserts and orange in the orange inserts.

#9 5 years ago

Pink or warm white should work nicely.

#10 5 years ago

I used warm white under the yellow and a pink led under the orange extra ball insert. I was very happy with how it looked. Plan on getting a fair amount of non-ghosting lights. Almost all the inserts on mine ghosted badly.

#11 5 years ago

I've ordered an LED OCD board for the nice fading, plus no ghosting worries.

#12 5 years ago

After reading these comments again, all of my inserts look the same color to me (I'm referring to the orange/yellow ones). So I'm confused by the suggestions of warm white in yellow and pink or orange in orange. Are my inserts supposed to be different? Or are you guys just saying I can choose what style I want and make them different?

Also, for the stop light, is there a good choice of LED that will only light up the insert and not the yellow plastic? I've seen the stop lights with color matched LEDs and it looked funny when the whole yellow cover turned green and red with those lights. I'll probably stick with a warm white for those if there isn't a way to block or aim the light only straight ahead.

#13 5 years ago

Inserts look the same to me...20150303_162826.jpg

#14 5 years ago

I color matched all the White, red, green inserts but used yellow in the orange inserts all LED's were frosted.

#15 5 years ago

I ordered LEDs yesterday. I went with warm white for the inserts. A couple of pinks as well.

#16 5 years ago

Waaaaaaaiiiiting is the hardest paaaaaaart...

#17 5 years ago

Pink under orange gives a nice dark peach color. I like it.

#18 5 years ago

I ordered a couple of pinks to try them out. I look forward to seeing them under orange.

#19 5 years ago

I wouldn't get yellow LEDs for anything. I haven't seen a yellow led that I like yet. Way too dim and just look bad. I say if it's not red green or blue, don't color match inserts and just get some nice warm whites. I think that looks great.

#20 5 years ago

tl;dr: Finding the best LEDs (colored or "white") for colored inserts in pinball machines is always going to take a lot of luck and/or trial and error unless you have some pretty expensive scientific equipment.

Scientifically, there is a lot going on when using LEDs with colored inserts. LEDs are narrow-spectrum light sources. For example, a "white" LED is made up of 3 narrow wavelength LEDs: Red, Green, and Blue. The red, green, and blue cones in your eye are each stimulated the right amount, so your brain thinks the light is white. But really it's just R (~700nm), G (~530nm), and B (~470nm). So if you have a yellow insert with a "white" LED, it might look dimmer than it does with an equivalent brightness incandescent light because it's going to filter out a lot of the R, G, and B, while the incandescent is actually producing light at the yellow wavelength. Conversely, you can make a yellow LED that outputs "true" (~580nm) yellow (which I think is how most yellow LEDs are made), which might appear brighter through a yellow insert.

But that said, the "yellow" insert may well be colored by a combination of red and green dye instead of a pure yellow dye. In which case the R and the G may come through the yellow insert just fine and you'll get a brighter yellow with a "white" (really RGB) LED than with a true yellow LED. This may explain chuckwurt's experience with yellow LEDs.

So, depending on how your LED is constructed (1 "exact" wavelength vs 2 or more to create the appearance of different wavelengths), how your inserts are colored (same deal - one wavelength or a combination), and the exact wavelengths used in each ("green" is 495nm to 570nm, so a 520nm LED with a 530nm green insert is going to pass a lot more light than the equivalent brightness 500nm LED through a 550nm filter), you can get wildly varying results. You also have to consider the shape (transparency vs wavelength) of the filtering done by the inserts.

#21 5 years ago

Thanks for that info, it's cool to learn background info like that.

#22 5 years ago

I like warm whites too in inserts.

Matching the color is a bit overkill. Warm white looks good with colored inserts.

#23 5 years ago

Generally I use the following:

Green/Blue/Purple = match, typically frosted / flex if needed
Everything else = warm white/pink, typically frosted / flex if needed

Yes, there are exceptions, but it's a start.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
€ 95.00
Lighting - Led
FlipperLED

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside