(Topic ID: 232156)

What cheating would these plates prevent?

By BlackCatBone

5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2018-12-19 at 6.18.51 PM (resized).png
    #1 5 years ago

The elevated plates on this Key West front rail are part of the game's body armor. I've been wondering what form of cheating the after-market plates were designed to stymie. I can't see how they are adding any anti-cheat value that wouldn't already be provided by the standard front rail plates they replaced, unless they are just supposed to look "bad." Anyone know why operators would go to the trouble of installing these?

Screen Shot 2018-12-19 at 6.18.51 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2018-12-19 at 6.18.51 PM (resized).png
    #2 5 years ago

My guess is that it's harder to fish a coat hanger or other wire inside. Just a guess though.

#3 5 years ago

I like the word "stymie."

1 month later
    #4 5 years ago

The frames around the buttons discouraged pounding on them.
    I don't know about the raised coin drop.

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from yzfguy:

I like the word "stymie."

Dude was in the Our Gang comedies.

#6 5 years ago

When I was a kid, I would watch the "older" guys
    pound the s --- out of the buttons, believing that doing
    that helped obtain a feature or two.
    The first bingo I can remember seeing was a United
    South Seas.
    Terry K

#7 5 years ago

After seeing that I no longer have the urge to chase the housekeeper around....so I guess the plates worked.

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from RayW:

The frames around the buttons discouraged pounding on them.
    I don't know about the raised coin drop.

Now it makes sense. Thanks.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-cheating-would-these-plates-prevent?hl=phat_jay and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.