(Topic ID: 278317)

What causes "Vaporized" traces on SD board?

By mkdud

4 months ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by barakandl
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20200928_010352 (resized).jpg
20200928_010245 (resized).jpg
20200928_010322 (resized).jpg

#1 4 months ago

I have on older stern SD board in my Bally Flash Gordon. It is working well, and I have performed all the Vid upgrades. I did have to repair several "vaporized" traces on the board, and wondered what caused them. Insufficient ground? transistors failing?

The traces were this way before I began servicing and restoring the board. They have not happened since I restored it.

20200928_010245 (resized).jpg20200928_010322 (resized).jpg20200928_010352 (resized).jpg
#2 4 months ago

I would think in general the cause is due to a few possible overheating factors: power surge, short, etc. Could be a variety of upstream components that cause/allow this to occur. Also, could just be a result of heat as a result of decades of use. Who knows what specifications these boards were built to, but I doubt that working for 30-50 years was ever considered when being engineered.

#3 4 months ago

an excessive amount of current (over what it was originally intended to accommodate) can burn up a trace, especially the finer ones. if the solder mask is removed or flakes off, this can lead to oxidation of the traces which can also lead to putting a strain on them and more current equals a trace that burn up.

#4 3 months ago

Probably had a shorted diode on a flipper coil.

#5 3 months ago

Burnt or evaporated traces are from too much current or a dead short down the line from the trace. In this case on the SDB, it was probably a locked on coil.

#6 3 months ago

The reason the traces around the relay burn up is because the flipper end of stroke is not adjusted right and both Bally / Stern made those traces too small on many SDB versions. Apparently those traces are weaker than the 5a fuse before the bridge. Misadjusted EOS, someone does lots of flipper holding, and those traces vaporize.

The traces going to the collector of the power transistor burn up because the coil locked on and the playfield fuse is the wrong value.

Bally / Stern also made a mistake by not fusing the DC side of the cabinet and head coils. If the knocker in the head or the chime box in the cabinet has a coil lock on, there is no DC side fuse like what is under the PF near the flippers. Coil locks, fuse does not blow, trace vaporizes.

I fused the chime box and knocker in my Mata Hari and is good idea to do to all Bally / Stern games.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
6,495 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Olney, MD
$ 96.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside