(Topic ID: 175073)

What causes transistor to keep shorting?

By kguenther6

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by kguenther6
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kguenther6.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

I have a Centaur II and the transistor that controls the outhole kicker keeps shorting and the coil locks on. I have replaced the transistor numerous times along with the coil, driving diode, driving resistor, and the U1 driving chip. But the transistor will keep shorting and locking the coil on after about 10 games. It only happens on this one transistor. I have checked to make sure the coil is not shorting against anything. When the transistor shorts out it still tests good with a MM but after replacing the transistor it fixes the issue for about 10 games. Any idea what would cause this?

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I'd check through board and across board continuity. A crack in a trace can drive you nuts.

I'll do that. Thanks for the tip Lloyd. Your always very helpful.

#6 3 years ago

Thanks for the additional tips. And the more I think about Lloyd's answer I don't think a crack in the trace would lock the coil on. I would think that would keep it from energizing and not cause it to lock on. But Lloyd is a lot smarter than me about these things so I'll still check it out along with the other tips. Thanks again.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 69.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kguenther6.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside