(Topic ID: 175073)

What causes transistor to keep shorting?

By kguenther6

7 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kguenther6.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

I have a Centaur II and the transistor that controls the outhole kicker keeps shorting and the coil locks on. I have replaced the transistor numerous times along with the coil, driving diode, driving resistor, and the U1 driving chip. But the transistor will keep shorting and locking the coil on after about 10 games. It only happens on this one transistor. I have checked to make sure the coil is not shorting against anything. When the transistor shorts out it still tests good with a MM but after replacing the transistor it fixes the issue for about 10 games. Any idea what would cause this?

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I'd check through board and across board continuity. A crack in a trace can drive you nuts.

I'll do that. Thanks for the tip Lloyd. Your always very helpful.

#6 7 years ago

Thanks for the additional tips. And the more I think about Lloyd's answer I don't think a crack in the trace would lock the coil on. I would think that would keep it from energizing and not cause it to lock on. But Lloyd is a lot smarter than me about these things so I'll still check it out along with the other tips. Thanks again.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kguenther6.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-causes-transistor-to-keep-shorting?tu=kguenther6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.