(Topic ID: 261706)

What causes this sort of clear checking?

By desiArnez

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 2 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by guitarded
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

55C51D2D-6492-42E9-A413-CDF978778BB3 (resized).jpeg
FEE04A5B-D264-4F0C-8FB7-CFBA5BB1DC34 (resized).jpeg
#1 4 years ago

As a learning experience (I always took my toys apart) I’m tearing this down.

What causes the clear to check like this? It’s very brittle and the paint is shedding like mad.

Unless I can find a surrogate PF, I’m going to shave it and rework the art. A lot of fun could be had with that.

But if it’s a moisture thing and the issue will manifest itself down the line.... well, I’d need to know. See pic.

Thanks in advance.
Check out my pinball Instagram @pinball.by.xtn

55C51D2D-6492-42E9-A413-CDF978778BB3 (resized).jpeg55C51D2D-6492-42E9-A413-CDF978778BB3 (resized).jpegFEE04A5B-D264-4F0C-8FB7-CFBA5BB1DC34 (resized).jpegFEE04A5B-D264-4F0C-8FB7-CFBA5BB1DC34 (resized).jpeg
#2 4 years ago

Checking is caused when the substrate/wood moves excessively.

Usually due to moisture content gained and/or lost quickly. Sometimes shock can cause it as well. But that is usually more cracking than checking.

This is mostly based on experience with instument finishes.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Pinson, AL
Machine - For Sale
Rhinelander, WI
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-causes-this-sort-of-clear-checking and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.