(Topic ID: 51867)

What causes insert lamp holders to light weakly?

By RudeDogg1

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Crash
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

I have 2 44 holders that seem to light a lot weaker than the others. I replaced one lastnight it's a tiny bit better but not much. Any ideas what's causing this?

Rudi

#2 10 years ago

Do you mean the holder is dim no matter where you put it, or the position of the lamp is dim no matter what you put in it. On the first it's probably that the contacts are weak and not holding the lamp properly or the ends that touch the board and lamp are verdigris. Try giving them a clean or scrape up with a screwdriver and squeezing them up to grip the lamp better.

If it's the second, then look for bad solder joints on the board where the connectors go on, this is a fairly common cause.

#3 10 years ago

I'm not on about the plastic on board screw in holders I mean the metal angled ones. They seem to be under powered one above it is really bright. I've tried swapping bulbs over and still does it so I replaced the holder and its only improved a tiny bit

#4 10 years ago

This is what I'm talking about

[IMG]http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr20/RUDERUDI/0CAB1460-DEAD-470C-98C3-234E48714507-5766-00000518A0BEC98C.mp4[/IMG]

#5 10 years ago

Aha, I see it all now! Better get out the test meter. If these are on a circuit with other lights, then trace back to the previous one in the circuit and check for voltage drop, continuity and earth between them. If these are on a circuit on their own, then trace back to the board and check first for connector problems or pin solder problems on the board, then for the correct earth and voltage at the board with the connector off, one final check of the loom to the lights from the connector in case of short to earth somewhere, or finally for a driver on the board for this lighting circuit.

Good job it's a bank holiday, think of all that spare time you have now to solve the fault.

Good luck there.

#6 10 years ago

I've got a few other faults to sort as well but awaiting parts luckily I have next week off

#7 10 years ago

If it was a prob in the chain wouldn't the holder after the weak one be weak also? Which it's not :0/

#8 10 years ago
    Quoted from RudeDogg1:

If it was a prob in the chain wouldn't the holder after the weak one be weak also? Which it's not :0/

Some of them, especially on the earth side are wired as a loop, so the ones after the fault can be ok still. It might be worth removing all the lamps except one of the duff ones and seeing if it's ok then. If so, check one of the working lamps hasn't shorted itself robbing the current from the others.

#9 10 years ago

Looks like you're seeing typical ghosting on that LED. It's normal, but doesn't explain why it isn't coming on like all the others. Do those LEDs work in game?

#10 10 years ago

Dont think it's ghosting its ment to be on isn't go hosting when there ment to be off. Dunno about in game it's still in pieces

#11 10 years ago

Kind of hard to tell in the video, maybe the dim light I was seeing is a reflection.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-causes-insert-lamp-holders-to-light-weakly and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.