(Topic ID: 8755)

What causes a DMD to lose some "dots" on just one end?

By dmacy

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by dmacy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DMD_missing_parts.jpg
#1 12 years ago

Would the board controlling the DMD or that actual display?

#2 12 years ago

Pic of what I'm curious of:

DMD_missing_parts.jpgDMD_missing_parts.jpg

#3 12 years ago

What game? Is it an entire column, or just a few dots out of the column?

#4 12 years ago

Have you tried reseating the ribbon cable on the DMD board?

#5 12 years ago

Its not mine but one I'm looking at. Just trying to figure out what costs would be. Looks like $200 if its a DMD and $100 if its the board controlling it.

Obviously I will be trying that and if I look at this game I may take my HS2 DMD with me to see if that's the issue.

#6 12 years ago

John, it looks like just the few at the end middle from I'm told.

#7 12 years ago
Quoted from dmacy:

Obviously I will be trying that and if I look at this game I may take my HS2 DMD with me to see if that's the issue.

That's the first thing I would do.

#8 12 years ago

If it's the last row of the display, it could be a broken pin. Earlier DMDs have pins like old tube displays - newer ones use ribbon cables. The pins sometimes break where they enter the glass. But, that would only be the case with an entire row, not a partial row.

Perhaps you could have the seller do a display test, and verify whether it's the entire row, or a partial row.

The display test also checks the display RAM at the end of the test.

Display RAM and a socket are $5, if you have the tools/experience to change it.
Broken display pin sometimes is fixable, sometimes isn't. Depends at how patient you are and how good you are at it. I've had poor luck with that myself, but know many collectors who had just fine luck doing it.

#9 12 years ago

Thanks again all. Its only a few middle in the last row John. I'm not good at soldering myself yet so I'm just a parts swapper at this point. I have people that can help with the soldering if need but don't generally have good luck with fixes being simple!

#10 12 years ago

Sometimes you can get lucky and just re-flow the solder at that pin controlling the row.

Hit and miss like John said.

#11 12 years ago

Ok, thanks. If I look at the game, I'll try the obvious stuff and swap my DMD out to confirm too. The joys (Not so much!) of the hunt!

#12 12 years ago

It is outgassing.

If an entire row or column is out then the it is a broken pin and can be fixed.

This is a partially lit row and is a classic sign of outgassing. New display from pinball life should run you less then 150 if you get the machine.

There is a chance you can try it in another game and it may look fine. It all depends on the condition of the hv section. Some are stronger then others which may supply enough voltage to light the dim areas, but I would not count on it.

#13 12 years ago

Very likely to be connectors. To me if the display were outgassing the other dots wouldn't be so fresh and bright.

#14 12 years ago

Thanks all again. I'm going to take mine out of HS2 and take with me to verify since its a decent drive away. They are plug and play correct? <Fingers crossed!>

#15 12 years ago

Thanks all. Update: I picked up the game and verified it is the entire last row and my HS2 DMD worked fine (all rows working) so I'll see if its an easy fix.

#16 12 years ago

If it is the entire last row look to see if the dmd uses ribbons or pin style for the connection.

If it is pin style it is probably broken off at the glass. Go to nappa (autozone and oreilly dont carry it). Ask for a defroster repair kit. Make sure it has the conductive paint inside it. Sand the display where the broken pin is. Just a light scraping to expose the pin in the glass. Put the paint on. Make sure it is only touching that pin as if you join pins you will get lines going on when they shouldn't.

Press the other end of the pin against the paint. I recommend testing it in a game first to makes ure it has a good connection. If so superglue it in place.

If it is ribbon you can use paper to press the ribbon against the contact. There is also a conductive tape that 3m makes. I have never used it, but Borygard told me about it at the ohio show.

Quoted from Crash:

Very likely to be connectors. To me if the display were outgassing the other dots wouldn't be so fresh and bright.

It has no bearing. I have had several that the displays look perfect, but on certain screens a few dots won't light or flicker. The rest of the display looks brand new. Right now my nascar does it, but unless you really pay attention or know what screens exhibit it you would never know.

#17 12 years ago

Thanks dung; I ended up getting a new DMD. May be worth me trying to fix the DMD, but maybe someone would be able to use it here. Its the entire last row. Its not the ribbon (It does have ribbon connector) as my HS2 display worked in the CFTBL as well as the new one.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 24.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Chicago, IL
$ 280.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 24.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 549.00
Playfield - Other
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 45.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

€ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 29.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 150.00
Lighting - Interactive
UpKick Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Portland, ME
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-causes-a-dmd-to-lose-some-dots-on-just-one-end and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.