(Topic ID: 165188)

What causes a ball to jump off the playfield?

By EvanDickson

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by zacaj
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

I'm finding with my Mousin' Around that the ball jumps off the playfield and ends up back in the shooter lane. A lot. Like at least once or twice per game. What would cause a ball to get airborne so often?

#2 7 years ago

what's it hitting? Standups may need new foam behind them. Make sure your flipper rubbers are on perfectly.

#3 7 years ago

Force applied to the ball in a direction away from the playfield.

Examples: a drop target that leans way back. A solid hit and the forward velocity of the ball hits the target and changes direction to upwards, smacking the glass.
A ramp transition that has a bump in it. Ball hits bump, goes airborne.
A post that isn't vertical anymore. Less likely to go airborne but still possible.
Any bump on the playfield. Raised insert?

#4 7 years ago

Anti-gravity

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Force applied to the ball in a direction away from the playfield.
Examples: a drop target that leans way back. A solid hit and the forward velocity of the ball hits the target and changes direction to upwards, smacking the glass.
A ramp transition that has a bump in it. Ball hits bump, goes airborne.
A post that isn't vertical anymore. Less likely to go airborne but still possible.
Any bump on the playfield. Raised insert?

There are air bubbles under the mylar over a couple inserts, but it seems to always be off the left flipper only. Posts are all good. I'll have a closer look at drop targets for lean, and they don't have foam behind them, I'll try adding that.

Quoted from zacaj:

what's it hitting? Standups may need new foam behind them. Make sure your flipper rubbers are on perfectly.

I'll do this too... what constitutes perfect? I usually try to get the bottom of the rubber flush with the shoulder on the flipper, is there anything else required when installing flipper rubber?

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from EvanDickson:

I usually try to get the bottom of the rubber flush with the shoulder on the flipper, is there anything else required when installing flipper rubber?

Yep, that's about all I know. Just make sure it actually is flush all the way around. Could have slipped or something

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
3,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Gainesville, GA
$ 23.95
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Sterling, VA
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Camarillo, CA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-causes-a-ball-to-jump-off-the-playfield and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.