You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

before (resized).jpg
after (resized).jpg
20200718_163802 (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

Greetings, there's a patch of some sort of damage on my PF... I... *think* it's to the clear coat and not the playfield underneath, but I'm not certain...

What kind of damage causes a pattern like this, and is there a way to repair it?

My first thought was one of the harsher Novus products, but I'm worked that I'll scratch down into the artwork underneath before I see any improvement...

20200718_163802 (resized).jpg20200718_163802 (resized).jpg
#2 3 years ago

Ball swirls, magic eraser and alcohol

#3 3 years ago

I'll leave the solution and the details to more experienced pinheads, but those look like textbook "ball swirl" marks to me. I believe it comes from a dirty playfield and/or worn balls.

#4 3 years ago

Interesting... Thanks kindly, both!

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from jonnyqtrek:

Greetings, there's a patch of some sort of damage on my PF... I... *think* it's to the clear coat and not the playfield underneath, but I'm not certain...
What kind of damage causes a pattern like this, and is there a way to repair it?
My first thought was one of the harsher Novus products, but I'm worked that I'll scratch down into the artwork underneath before I see any improvement...
[quoted image]

Can confirm, ball swirls and unfortunately the magic eraser is basically extremely fine sandpaper. I’ve tried but that really is the only solution. Use the ME to sand down the clear coat till you get them out and then wax it frequently to protect the artwork

#6 3 years ago

If that's the only location, try to polish out with novus 3 then 2. That should help diminish them but won't remove the swirls fully. If it still bothers you then the magic eraser is still an option. The key with magic eraser is to go slow and gentle.

#7 3 years ago

Thanks kindly, all...

Regarding ME, this is a fairly lengthy process, yes? Being somewhat gentle, here is a before picture:
beforebefore

...and with Magic Eraser + 91% IsoOH, 30 minutes later...
T+30 minutesT+30 minutes

I do see a slight improvement so far, I should continue, yes? (Just want to make sure I'm not doing it wrong, or somehow making it worse due to ineptitude.)

(It still looks like someone was using a beard trimmer while the clearcoat was being put on.)

#8 3 years ago

better off to leave it, just damaging it more with the magic eraser, no way to remove them completely!

#9 3 years ago

Hmm... Better safe than sorry, I suppose, cheers. Alrighty, will give it a quick wipe with a tad of Novus2 and rewax... Thanks kindly!

#10 3 years ago

Get new balls ASAP

#11 3 years ago

Give us a little background on the game. Was is routed? Any idea how many plays. If you are into it for $3800 just keep on playing. If it was sold to you at a high price HUO then I would view it differently. part of the solution is knowing what we are dealing with.

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

Get new balls ASAP

Oh, agreed, that was the first thing I did when I brought the pin home. (This is all inherited damage.) The balls it came with were so worn they looked like pitted brushed nickel...

RustyLizard I bought this a few weeks back from Modern Pinball NYC which just closed down; it looks like I was the last sale they made before they closed (though they're still selling off through this weekend I believe...) So it was in nearly continuous use for several years. I bought it, though, because I had a nostalgic connection to their particular machine. (It was the first game that got me interested in pinball, and my kids played on this machine many times on weekend Pinball-and-dinner nights.) So, at this point it's been me (newbie) trying to make it shine as much as I can... (New plastics, protectors, some decals, bulbs, and reflectors so far... Cliffy's are in production, some replacement stand up targets are en route... just trying to treat this ole' machine right with my limited experience.)

#13 3 years ago

How are you using the ME? Don't think it was mentioned above, but you need to cut the ME into small pieces. Thin, one inch square pieces will work. Cuts easily with scissors.

Soak a piece with alcohol, then work a small area using a circular motion. Maybe a two inch diameter circle. Wipe with a microfiber cloth after. Pieces will quickly wear away as will the swirls, hopefully. Small pieces of ME working small areas on the playfield. I would start in the yellow area as that will tell you quicker if it's working than the darker areas will. ME just about always works on swirls, but that game is not that old for that many swirls.

For an older game, I would advise to watch for paint coming up on the ME. You shouldn't have that problem, but just in case someone else sees this and tries it on a older game, WATCH FOR PAINT!

#14 3 years ago

Use novus 3. If that doesn’t work use Flitz metal polish. Rub in with your finger tips, let it dry for about 30 seconds then rub it hard with a soft cloth. You will have to go in very small sections and rub hard with your thumb / cloth. They will come out. ME is too abrasive. Flitz is slightly more costic than novus so wash your hands afterward.

Thanks
Dougram69

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Inclusive GameWerks

5,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monument, CO
Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 55.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-caused-this-and-is-it-fixable and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.