(Topic ID: 126949)

What categories of licensed pins are there?

By Nokoro

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Law
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 8 years ago

This is what I have so far:

Movies (multiple)
    TV shows (multiple)
    Bands (multiple)
    Motor Vehicles (e.g., Mustang, Corvette, Harley Davidson)
    Musicals (e.g., The Who's Tommy)
    Magazines (e.g., Playboy)
    Game shows (e.g., Wheel of Fortune)
    Comics (e.g., X-Men)
    Board Games (e.g., Monopoly)
    Celebrities (e.g., Elvira)
    Video Games (e.g., Roller Coaster Tycoon)

Then, there are some for which I don't know what category to throw them in, like Ripley's Believe it or Not.

What else am I missing? Has anyone done a licensed pin based on a book, without a related movie or tv show?

#2 8 years ago

Generic brand? No Fear would fall into that.

There are also quite a few sports-franchise themed machines of all varieties. Specific event and team-related.

#3 8 years ago

WWF Royal Rumble / WWE Wrestlemania, sports entertainment pay per views!
    Do you need a license for F-14 Tomcat?

#4 8 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

What else am I missing? Has anyone done a licensed pin based on a book, without a related movie or tv show?

Phantom of the opera was based on the book,not the play...but I don't believe it was licensed due to the book being public domain now...

#5 8 years ago

i think ripleys would fall in the tv show category. even though it has been in many other formats, the tv show was going on when the pin was made.

#6 8 years ago

mayfair was based on my fair lady i believe

#7 8 years ago

theres an old PM machine i cant recall that was based on the chicago worlds fair.

#8 8 years ago

then theres monster bash which is a character license, not any specific movie.

#9 8 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

Then, there are some for which I don't know what category to throw them in, like Ripley's Believe It or Not.

Multi-Media. Ripleys had a TV show, Books, Newspaper space, and a Museum.

#10 8 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

Phantom of the Opera was based on the book,not the play...but I don't believe it was licensed due to the book being public domain now...

I don't think I've ever played Phantom of the Opera. I guess I always assumed it was based on the musical.

Quoted from Darcy:

Multi-Media. Ripleys had a TV show, Books, Newspaper space, and a Museum.

Fair enough. Multi-media it is.

Quoted from Law:

There are also quite a few sports-franchise themed machines of all varieties. Specific event and team-related.

Quoted from DefaultGen:

WWF Royal Rumble / WWE Wrestlemania, sports entertainment pay per views!

Yep, I missed the sports category, but that certainly includes NBA Fast Break, WWE, etc.

#11 8 years ago

Not sure movies and musicals need their own category, since both Tommy and WoZ are both. Call them movies.

#12 8 years ago
    Quoted from TunaSled:

Not sure movies and musicals need their own category, since both Tommy and WoZ are both. Call them movies.

I thought Tommy was directly based on the musical given the art work in the pin. Kind of like LOTR is directly based on the movies, not the books.

#13 8 years ago

Sports:
    Events: worlds fair, Spirit of 76
    Some can fall in multiple categories. WCS94 would fit in both of the above categories though sports is a better fit.
    War: Special Force
    Space: Blackout and many othes.
    Fantasy: Farfalla, Gorgar

#14 8 years ago
    Quoted from stainedundies:

i think ripleys would fall in the tv show category. even though it has been in many other formats, the tv show was going on when the pin was made.

There have been three incarnations of the show. Robert L. Ripley died making the first one. There was also a radio show. This is in addition to the original cartoons. The game does not appear to take from any of them specifically.

#15 8 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

Sports:
    Events: worlds fair, Spirit of 76
    Some can fall in multiple categories. WCS94 would fit in both of the above categories though sports is a better fit.
    War: Special Force
    Space: Blackout and many othes.
    Fantasy: Farfalla, Gorgar

Those are definitely categories but not categories of licensed pins, except perhaps for WCS94.

#16 8 years ago

Two categories; good and shitty.

#17 8 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Two categories; good and shitty.

Caught off guard with that one. Very Funny.

#18 8 years ago

Stern Dracula would be based on the book without a movie tie-in. Not sure about when it came out, it may or may not have been public domain in 1979.

Also, not sure if I stated this correctly before: No Fear was a clothing brand/lifestyle thing in the 90s. They also produced energy drinks and maybe put on concerts and stuff. It's not actually a sports franchise.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-categories-of-licensed-pins-are-there and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.