(Topic ID: 82866)

What to do if you think a paypal buyer is about to scam you?

By Amarillopinball

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Miknan
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

If they paid through paypal and you shipped it through NAVL?

Game was sent in perfect working order, now the buyer is saying "received game, looks good, but when I turn it on it blinks and nothing happens"

#2 6 years ago

Crap happens in shipping.

Doesn't sound like a scam. At least yet.

LTG : )™

#3 6 years ago

Lets play devils advocate and say it was actually damaged in transit, what would the recourse be normally? Being retired military I'm pretty familiar with the process of carrier damage/Insurance claim, repair estimate, and repair paid for by the carrier. NAVL is a pretty big line you may want to look at some fine print and see about their damage liability here. If it were really damaged in transit it could be something as simple as a now bad connection in the wiring harness etc now might be worth finding someone nearby to house call on.

#4 6 years ago

I know nothing has happened yet, I just have done lots (lots) of business on ebay, and know how easy it is to get blown, and know what people say when they are trying to take advantage of you.

hopefully a wire came loose and everything else should be fine. anyone ever heard of a machine doing that though? I did a search of that phrase and couldn't find anything, that is another reason I found it fishy

#5 6 years ago

That is Exactly why I will seldom if ever sell a pin like that I wont pay pay-pal their 3% and wait for my $$$$$. If I sell on eBay I stipulate that it is Local pick up only, and to NOT pay pay-pal I want cash in hand and they get the old "as is where is " warranty.
    I had a bro scammed on eBay like that, they took the buyers word for the condition of the pin and he had to settle for $400 less than he should have gotten just to settle the case . he had pictures of the game at time of pick up and all kinds of documentation to prove otherwise and eBay and pay-pal screwed him.

Get ready if the buyer makes a big stink to bend over and touch the floor .

Good luck my friend

Brian Lenker
    Madison hts, MI

#6 6 years ago

my friends call me cash

#7 6 years ago

This is why cash is the way to go for me.

#8 6 years ago

The fact that he said he received the game and it looks good is very positive and doesn't sound like a scam to me. Stuff happens in shipping. I've experienced it firsthand. It's usually not too hard to sort out. Connectors get jiggled or wires come unsoldered. Hope it all turns out good for both parties.

Todd

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from Amarillopinball:

I did a search of that phrase and couldn't find anything, that is another reason I found it fishy

Because someone couldn't accurately describe an issue with the game ? Or know precisely what happened ?

Sounds like they are new to pinball, and may be thinking the same about you right now for selling a defective game.

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Because someone couldn't accurately describe an issue with the game ? Or know precisely what happened ?
    Sounds like they are new to pinball, and may be thinking the same about you right now for selling a defective game.

I searched for "game blinks but nothing happens"

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from Amarillopinball:

I searched for "game blinks but nothing happens"

You are right. Total scam. Once you've said you searched for that you've said it all.

#12 6 years ago

Probably no hit because it is too generic. Like 'car won't start'.

Need to get specifics.. What blinks? The playfield? The displays? The giant arc from the power cord?

Did you have vids showing him it running before it shipped? Pics?

What is the game? What is the location? Is he somewhat savy in fixing machines himself?

#13 6 years ago

You tell the buyer you will have the machine repaired at your cost. If it was working when it left your place, it should not be a major repair problem.

You locate a repair person in the area of the buyer and engage them to repair the machine at your cost. This introduces the buyer to someone who can help them in the future and solves your problem at a cost. Cables come loose during shipping, and sometimes something decides to fail after finding itself in a new home.

Send all emails through eBay, including the name and contact information of the repair person.

This stuff happens and is part of the cost of selling a pinball machine across country to a person new to pinball.

#14 6 years ago

What age machine are we dealing with here? My Williams system 9 games if the memory batteries loose contact or die they just flash on startup. If it was that you could Tell the buyer to open the coin door and cycle the power switch twice fast to boot and ignore the lack of memory. They boot right up with default settings. If the batteries weren't zip tied in they could have jumped out in shipping' especially if it is a fold down back box.

#15 6 years ago

Yes, and if it is an attempted scam, once you offer to have it fixed, if it really isn't broken it may miraculously "start working." What are they going to do, break it so the repair guy will find something to fix?

#16 6 years ago

Learn, and never use pay pal again as a seller.

#17 6 years ago

never take Pay pal, and shoot scammers !

#18 6 years ago

What city did you ship the game to? Maybe a pinsider will go to the buyers house and take a look at it for you. If it is in the SE Michigan area I will (no charge).

Parker

#20 6 years ago

Very,very interesting. Ed

#21 6 years ago

Both used machines I bought worked fine at the sellers house but immediately had problems once at my house. I thought all pins did that.

#22 6 years ago
    Quoted from Miknan:

Both used machines I bought worked fine at the sellers house but immediately had problems once at my house. I thought all pins did that.

How many and what feedback did the buyer have? I'm thinking it's really not working and like others have said, prob a loose or broken wire/connection.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 43.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 19.95
    $ 35.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 89.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 1,000.00
    Playfields
    Pinball Playfields
    $ 3.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 82.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 79.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 259.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods
    Displays
    PinballSolutions.eu
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 139.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 12.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    COINTAKER.COM
    Electronics
    nvram.weebly.com
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Protection
    UpKick Pinball
    € 30.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Creo Pinball
    $ 38.00
    $ 109.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Starcade Amusement
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside