8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Atomicboy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 8 years ago

Have 4 pinball machine play fields torn apart at the moment and was thinking of ways to better protect things and to help eliminate "residue" accumulating on the game. Can you clear coat stainless steel ball guides and certain ramps? Will the clear hold up to the beatings the ball gives? Was hoping the layer of clear would keep the metal on metal from happening and eliminating more clean up. Thoughts?

#2 8 years ago

Yes for metal.

Not sure about certain plastics...clear might be too "hot" for the materials used to form ramps.

I wax everything to help offer a layer of protection.

#3 8 years ago

I would imagine that clear on a vertical ball guide would get chewed away fairly quickly.

#4 8 years ago

I agree, it would likely soften or melt many plastics. You also dont want to put it on anything that is flexible because it will crack and peel. Clear coat is not indestructible. On a playfield it serves the purpose of acting as a barrier for the artwork. The clear will still wear but the art will be protected, making it much easier to repair the next time.

#5 8 years ago

I wasn't very clear in my description. I don't want to clear any plastics. Just metal. I was primarily looking at all the horizontal stainless ball "guides" on play fields. Also, maybe the "ring" ramp and sword on my LOTR. Was just curious if this was attempted before and what the end result was. Seemed like a good idea for another layer of protection considering our play fields are cleared.

#6 8 years ago

It would be an interesting experiment, but I would be concerned that the clear would start to wear and then flake off where there is a lot of ball contact/impact. Once 2PAC finish is compromised and it starts to flake, it goes from looking amazingly to a complete disaster pretty quickly. A clear powder coat would be more durable and likely to stand up over time on metal ramps IMO.

-Jay

#7 8 years ago

Polish the metal parts, guides, ramps. The lines/trails don't come back, from what people report, as these "trails" are essentially the ball polishing a line when it makes contact, which can't be polished more in a mirror finish.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-can-you-clear and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.