(Topic ID: 158743)

what can I do if machine is not as described?

By i_b_flippin

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 184 posts
  • 97 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Xerico
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

MTE5NDg0MDU1MjIyNTg0ODQ3_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
DSCN1013_(resized).JPG
DSCN1012_(resized).JPG
DSCN1011_(resized).JPG
DSCN1010_(resized).JPG
DSCN1009_(resized).JPG
DSCN1008_(resized).JPG
DSCN1007_(resized).JPG
DSCN1006_(resized).JPG
DSCN1005_(resized).JPG
DSCN1003_(resized).JPG
IMG_0975_(resized).jpg
IMG_0974_(resized).jpg
IMG_0972_(resized).jpg
IMG_0969_(resized).jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 184 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
#151 7 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

ps I bought a shadow from barry white in NY so I feel your pain.

LOVE that guy...

MTE5NDg0MDU1MjIyNTg0ODQ3_(resized).jpgMTE5NDg0MDU1MjIyNTg0ODQ3_(resized).jpg

#152 7 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

Maxi? Haha is that the technical term? That's a new one to me

i love incorporating maxi into compound words. doesn't get used nearly enough. it fits perfectly into discussions on pinball machines with mini playfields. can you think of any other applications where maxi is part of the compound word or phrase? (slowly backs out of room)

#153 7 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

Maxi? Haha is that the technical term? That's a new one to me

I tend to call it the main playfield.

#154 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I tend to call it the main playfield.

#155 7 years ago

If you like the game and can live with the cab dings, just get some money back to fix it up a bit. It cost about $400 to ship, so if they sent $500 refund, would that be better?

#156 7 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

If you like the game and can live with the cab dings, just get some money back to fix it up a bit. It cost about $400 to ship, so if they sent $500 refund, would that be better?

exactly. its more important to get playing it sooner as it is an unbelievably cool and original game

#157 7 years ago

How many holes does a blind Spaniard have to drill to attach a fiscal license?

Apparently, 20

#158 7 years ago

A picture of the holes???

#159 7 years ago

OP: There are two routes you can take here.

1. Contact Rob however you did in the first place and work out a return/refund. You'd be out nothing, which is rare in this hobby

2. Keep the game, work out a partial refund. Reseat ribbon cables, or pay for a tech to come fix the game.

I probably wouldn't want to be $3600 into a Shadow with some cabinet damage, but having a nice playfield is rare on this title. Depending on what sort of discount you can work out, you may still end up with a great game at a reasonable (retail) price

#160 7 years ago
Quoted from Collin:

OP: There are two routes you can take here.
1. Contact Rob however you did in the first place and work out a return/refund. You'd be out nothing, which is rare in this hobby
2. Keep the game, work out a partial refund. Reseat ribbon cables, or pay for a tech to come fix the game.
I probably wouldn't want to be $3600 into a Shadow with some cabinet damage, but having a nice playfield is rare on this title. Depending on what sort of discount you can work out, you may still end up with a great game at a reasonable (retail) price

Play field sanctum looks better than most but theres a hole and checking ? Also looks like lots broken /missing plastics , ramp has what looks to be rivets holding it together from a fix? ! Cab is rough and the board hacks need fixed. Id take the offer and send it back bc you can get a really nice one with alt translight/speaker panel, color dmd and other mods for under 3400 if u look around.

#161 7 years ago

no way a $3200 shadow. missing hardware on left ramp, on top of the other issues. i would be scared to shop this, probably lots more surpises when its torn down for a shop job.

#162 7 years ago

So you paid $3600 total?? are u kidding me? send that crap back where it came from and get a refund. That hacked board is a joke. At least send the machine with all the leg levelers jeez. Did he at least tell you that the machine was a re-import? I'm guessing he didn't which is also messed up. Sorry, this is your first impression of pinball community but there are good people here that will help. I always checked out Rob's ads but i doubt I will buy anything from him in the future now. At least he's offering to ship it back and refund you the money. Keep us posted on how this goes.

#163 7 years ago

No excuse, seller knew about all the hacks.

#164 7 years ago

I am a small business owner that has developed several revenue streams to support my business. I started by selling golf clubs on eBay, back before they got greedy with their fees, took that money and bought a golf course. In addition to my on-line business and the physical golf course, I have a cart rental/sale business and a mower sharpening business.

In the eBay world, it can be a challenge working with a buyer that does not have any common sense. While it's rare for me to make a mistake (I have 100% feedback rating with more than 40,000 transactions), it does happen occasionally. All I would ever want the buyer to do is to contact me if he has a problem. If it's a legitimate problem, and the buyer isn't being unreasonable or trying to pull something on me, I will bend over backwards to make things right for him. And in the end, I think that's all a buyer really wants.

In reading through this, in my opinion the buyer could have handled this differently. Nothing should have been posted on this site until he had talked to the seller first. There is no reason to trash a seller until he has demonstrated that he's not going to try and find out what the problem is. But posting before even trying to contact the seller, that's bad form.

Rob did exactly what I would have done. If someone is that unhappy, and it is obvious that a mistake was made, offer a full refund, including the shipping both ways. Or, I'd ask the buyer what he thinks is a fair way to resolve the situation. Either way, outside of a little inconvenience and some frustration, the buyer isn't out anything in the end, as long as he's a reasonable person.

If Rob were a new retailer and didn't have the good reputation that he does, the buyer could have (unfairly) done irreparable damage to his business, which would not have been fair UNLESS Rob didn't offer to make things right. Fortunately, Rob has been in the business, has a reputation as a stand-up guy, and he is doing the right thing. Now it's time for the buyer to make a decision and move on. He's LUCKY to be dealing with a good seller. A lot of places would have told him to go pound sand.

#165 7 years ago
Quoted from Dooskie:

I am a small business owner that has developed several revenue streams to support my business. I started by selling golf clubs on eBay, back before they got greedy with their fees, took that money and bought a golf course. In addition to my on-line business and the physical golf course, I have a cart rental/sale business and a mower sharpening business.
In the eBay world, it can be a challenge working with a buyer that does not have any common sense. While it's rare for me to make a mistake (I have 100% feedback rating with more than 40,000 transactions), it does happen occasionally. All I would ever want the buyer to do is to contact me if he has a problem. If it's a legitimate problem, and the buyer isn't being unreasonable or trying to pull something on me, I will bend over backwards to make things right for him. And in the end, I think that's all a buyer really wants.
In reading through this, in my opinion the buyer could have handled this differently. Nothing should have been posted on this site until he had talked to the seller first. There is no reason to trash a seller until he has demonstrated that he's not going to try and find out what the problem is. But posting before even trying to contact the seller, that's bad form.
Rob did exactly what I would have done. If someone is that unhappy, and it is obvious that a mistake was made, offer a full refund, including the shipping both ways. Or, I'd ask the buyer what he thinks is a fair way to resolve the situation. Either way, outside of a little inconvenience and some frustration, the buyer isn't out anything in the end, as long as he's a reasonable person.
If Rob were a new retailer and didn't have the good reputation that he does, the buyer could have (unfairly) done irreparable damage to his business, which would not have been fair UNLESS Rob didn't offer to make things right. Fortunately, Rob has been in the business, has a reputation as a stand-up guy, and he is doing the right thing. Now it's time for the buyer to make a decision and move on. He's LUCKY to be dealing with a good seller. A lot of places would have told him to go pound sand.

You make it sound like OP just came out and started trashing his company or his reputation. He came on explained his side of story and asked us for advice on how to handle this situation. There is a difference between the two.

#166 7 years ago
Quoted from V4Vendetta:

You make it sound like OP just came out and started trashing his company or his reputation. He came on explained his side of story and asked us for advice on how to handle this situation. There is a difference between the two.

He had not contacted the seller before he posted on this site. He should have done that before posting anything. Then if he wants/needs to share his experience, for good or bad, this is the place to do it. He put the cart before the horse. You should always give the seller a chance first, imho.

#167 7 years ago

He could have asked the Pinside community how to proceed without having contacted the seller first. I don't have a problem with that, especially if he's a noob. I wouldn't have called out the seller by name until I heard back from him and wasn't satisfied with the response. Either way the OP has a great option for a refund, and Rob seemingly keeps his reputation fairly intact.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#168 7 years ago
Quoted from V4Vendetta:

Maybe - maybe not - You can "explain" one side of a story, extremely to one side and still trash a company. It seems to be what has occurred here judging by the reactions. Roughly half the opinions look like "I would never buy from this seller". BTW - All the price opinions that say the price was way too high are NOT familiar with retail pricing. You can't compare retail pricing to home/collector pricing which is very different. A business has to charge more or they will not be able to stay in business. I haven't seen any legitimate pinball businesses with an actual store front that would have priced this game any differently (unless it was for more).

#169 7 years ago
Quoted from T7:

Maybe - maybe not - You can "explain" one side of a story, extremely to one side and still trash a company. It seems to be what has occurred here judging by the reactions. Roughly half the opinions look like "I would never buy from this seller". BTW - All the price opinions that say the price was way too high are NOT familiar with retail pricing. You can't compare retail pricing to home/collector pricing which is very different. A business has to charge more or they will not be able to stay in business. I haven't seen any legitimate pinball businesses with an actual store front that would have priced this game any differently (unless it was for more).

^^^ This. You don't trash until you are unhappy with the response from the company. Businesses need to make a profit to survive. Everything costs money and you pay a premium for satisfaction. Anyone else, you'd NEVER get any $$$ back. EVER.

#170 7 years ago

Since this thread keeps coming to the top, I just went through and really looked at the pictures, I do not think 500 would cover what this game needs, a new plastic set is clearly needed, that is 160-200, a new left ramp for sure, I just noticed the JB weld job on the far left of the ramp and the rivets on the ramp, and willing to bet the other ramp needs to be replaced as well, so that is another 200, 100 for new head decals, then factor the cost of a tech if the OP cannot repair the issues of the soldered on pins, now if the mini playfiled needs work, the wall drop target needs work... Probably looking at close to 800 total if a tech is involved, give or take, and you still have the cabinet issues.

Take Rob's offer to take it back and issue a refund, you would end up close to 5K and still have a hole in the playfield and rough cabinet. At the very least you bought from a solid seller that offered to make it right, a lot of us had the same thing happen, and were not lucky enough to get that kind of offer from the original seller..

#171 7 years ago
Quoted from balboarules:

Take Rob's offer to take it back and issue a refund, you would end up close to 5K and still have a hole in the playfield and rough cabinet. At the very least you bought from a solid seller that offered to make it right, a lot of us had the same thing happen, and were not lucky enough to get that kind of offer from the original seller..

Tell me about it. I bought a WCS once that didn't have cracked plastics and a decent playfield. Until it got home and was missing the speaker panel, came with 70's bally's legs, had cracked ramps, some missing plastics and some riveted plastic with foil plates holding the things together. Burned connectors, electrical tape holding stuff together.

But rest assured you only make that mistake once in your pinhead life.

#172 7 years ago
Quoted from balboarules:

a new plastic set is clearly needed

He was told it needed plastics

Quoted from i_b_flippin:

but few plastics were broken

#173 7 years ago
Quoted from herbertbsharp:

He was told it needed plastics

It was also mentioned he should ask for 500 to make the game right, I was just going though the pictures and doing some quick math on what it would cost to get it to a better level, 500 is not enough.

#174 7 years ago

Ok...it was said he is a noob and came here for advice. Ok, the advice is before you post here, call the seller and try to work it all out. If he tells you to go fuck yourself...then you come here.

#175 7 years ago
Quoted from balboarules:

It was also mentioned he should ask for 500 to make the game right, I was just going though the pictures and doing some quick math on what it would cost to get it to a better level, 500 is not enough.

I get your point, but my point is that he should not receive compensation for things he knew he was getting when he agreed to a price.

#176 7 years ago
Quoted from herbertbsharp:

I get your point, but my point is that he should not receive compensation for things he knew he was getting when he agreed to a price.

I would not argue that point Herb, I was just reviewing everything involved in getting that game to a better level than it is, and advising the seller that he would be better off to take the return option, then to ask for 500 back, Just trying to help based on what I can tell by the pictures. And I agree Ted, seller of course should have been contacted BEFORE this post was even started.

#177 7 years ago
Quoted from balboarules:

I would not argue that point Herb, I was just reviewing everything involved in getting that game to a better level than it is, and advising the seller that he would be better off to take the return option, then to ask for 500 back, Just trying to help based on what I can tell by the pictures. And I agree Ted, seller of course should have been contacted BEFORE this post was even started.

Gotcha, makes sense to me

#178 7 years ago

I don't think the buyer came on here and trashed anyone, he clearly stated his situation and asked for advice how to handle it. Rob came on and said hed take the game back. The buyer should have gone to the seller first to resolve it, but he was clearly upset and didn't, not the worst thing in the world. I think maybe he could have left names off his original post, but I also don't think that's a big deal either.

All that should happen now is for the buyer to report back that he spoke to the seller and provide the solution that was agreed. Hopefully, it all ends well for both sides.

#179 7 years ago

As long as we've got the torches and axes out, I say someone needs to part that thing out. We know there's an immediate demand for the gun and 1 of the phurba daggers.

With all the missing, impossible to find, and screwed up parts, there is no way anybody is going to fix it up and turn a profit. I'm pretty sure it's worth more in parts. That playfield would be a very good candidate for restore and clearcoat. Somebody is going to want it. Doing a playfield swap all at once would be much more desireable than having a pin all apart for a month or 2.

#180 7 years ago
Quoted from Starwriter:

As long as we've got the torches and axes out, I say someone needs to part that thing out. We know there's an immediate demand for the gun and 1 of the phurba daggers.
With all the missing and screwed up parts, there is no way anybody is going to fix it up and turn a profit. I'm pretty sure it's worth more in parts. That playfield would be a very good candidate for restore and clearcoat. Somebody is going to want it. Doing a playfield swap all at once would be much more desireable than having a pin all apart for a month or 2.

Is this serious?

#181 7 years ago

I hope not... looking for the little yellow face at the end, not seeing it though.

#182 7 years ago

I wasn't expecting that reaction. I guess some peoples mission is to bring every turd back from the septic tank. Sorry i ruffled a few feathers.

#183 7 years ago
Quoted from Starwriter:

I wasn't expecting that reaction. I guess some peoples mission is to bring every turd back from the septic tank. Sorry i ruffled a few feathers.

Your comments certainly seem like a joke. I assume this post is further trolling? If not, you'd probably also part out at least half of the vintage pinball machines that are still around as "turds" since they have imperfect cabinets and visible damage on the playfield. As you are no doubt aware, you won't find a lot of support for that sentiment here.

#184 7 years ago

Since both sides have responded in this thread, we are closing it. Once the OP has an update, we'll update the thread.

Marcus

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.
Toys/Add-ons
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
€ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods
Toys/Add-ons
€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals
Flipper parts
$ 37.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
5,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tucson, AZ
$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
Decals
$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits
Electronics
€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals
Flipper parts
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Aurora, IL
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
5,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
Machine - For Sale
Buffalo, NY
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
Decorations
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 184 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-can-i-do-if-machine-is-as-described/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.