• Latest reply 3 years ago by Bumper
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
#1 3 years ago

Does an open TIP102 cause the coil to short or does a shorted coil the TIP102 to go open?

My hypothesis is that the open TIP102 causes the coil to get hot so the insulation of the windings burn off, which causes a short, which causes the fuse to blow. Am I correct?

#2 3 years ago

Usually transistor goes first, locking on the coil and melting it.

LTG : )

#3 3 years ago

An open TIP102 will do nothing , the coil will not find a ground. A shorted TIP102 will supply a ground even when not commanded and will lock the coil on until the current either blows the fuse or melts the coil.

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from generalgman:

An open TIP102 will do nothing , the coil will not find a ground. A shorted TIP102 will supply a ground even when not commanded and will lock the coil on until the current either blows the fuse or melts the coil.

...and at some point the windings of the melted coil with short and burn the TIP102 which will eventually become an open unless a fuse prevents it ... You don't what to know how I know this

Edit: After thoughts ... you can get a pretty good burn from the plunger of a melted coil if you take this apart while its still smoking

#5 3 years ago

Does it matter? Replace them both. Seriously it is usually the transistor first...usually.

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from freeplay3:

Does it matter? Replace them both.

Trust me when I say this ... some people shouldn't even try to replace these transistors.

You could end up with a board that looks like this:

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

The person that removed this transistor broke FIVE circuit traces ... impressive for a 3 leg transistor. One of them was the ground leg for all 8 TIPs on the board, this crippled the entire board.

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

Trust me when I say this ... some people shouldn't even try to replace these transistors.

After selling pinballs in a retail store for many years, I agree. People would buy a game and ask "If it breaks can I fix it?' My response was always the same, you can fix it yourself but it will probably cost double when I need to come fix the original problem and clean up anything you broke.

#8 3 years ago

The transistor shorts collector to emitter and the coil locks on. If the fuse does not blow the tip102, PCB and the coil burn up. If not the fuse, eventually either the coil burns open or the transistor does.

Why the transistors go bad is bigger mystery question. Specially when there was no catastrophic specific fail mode like the EMF eating diode broke loose from the coil or when something else in the driver circuit kept the transistor turned on too long.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.95
$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 85.00
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 63.95
$ 64.99
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-burned-first-tip102-or-the-coil?hl=freeplay3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.