Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by ssbodyman
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2099.JPG
    #1 11 years ago

Ok, another clear coat question. I'm getting ready to shoot CC on my PF and I want to know what brand of CC do you use? DuPont ChromaClear? Something else? The supplier near me has the ChromaClear @ $85 a quart with the hardner. He says alot of shops use Nasan clear coat, also made by DuPont and it's half the price.

Thanks,

John

#2 11 years ago

DuPont chromo clear is what I use.

#3 11 years ago

I use PPG. This specifically - and shoot it out of an HVLP.

IMG_2099.JPGIMG_2099.JPG

#4 11 years ago

I use ChromaClear. We know it's good. I can't comment on Nasan since I've never heard of it. If you're going to do the work it would be a shame to get stuck with poor results by cheaping out on an unknown product. It's definately not worth saving a couple bucks if the end result isn't good. Let someone else be the guinea pig with an unknown.

#5 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballmike217:

I use ChromaClear. We know it's good. I can't comment on Nasan since I've never heard of it. If you're going to do the work it would be a shame to get stuck with poor results by cheaping out on an unknown product. It's definately not worth saving a couple bucks if the end result isn't good. Let someone else be the guinea pig with an unknown.

Completely agree with this statement. And it's exactly why I use this product. PPG is good stuff. Never used the Dupont Chroma Clear, but think I want to try it for my next job since it's received some good recommendations on here. Anyone know what it runs a quart? Just trying to compare to the ppg product.

#6 11 years ago
    Quoted from toro1966:

Completely agree with this statement. And it's exactly why I use this product. PPG is good stuff. Never used the Dupont Chroma Clear, but think I want to try it for my next job since it's received some good recommendations on here. Anyone know what it runs a quart? Just trying to compare to the ppg product.

I think Chroma Clear was $65 a quart last time I bought it. The problem is you always need pre-paint cleaner, reducers, strainers, sandpaper, etc, etc. I can't get out of the supply house for under $200.

#7 11 years ago

I use Sikkens autoclear III or U-tech 4.0 high solids clear both nice akzonobel products . U-tech is easier to use and about 1/4 the cost of sikkens .

#8 11 years ago

go with the dupont, nason is crap IMO

#9 11 years ago

I use PPG DCU 2035 on stuff that I want really nice but all DCU clears are great. They also have a couple of "economy" options -shopline and omni that I have used that have held up good going on 2 years now. I hate Dupont products personally but that is mainly due to there base-coat being crap I don't have much experience with their clears.

3 weeks later
    #10 11 years ago

Does any one have a recommended amount to load the gun up with so that you can at least do 2 medium wet coats? At almost $100 for a set I want to be as conservative (less waste) as possible. Thanks !

#11 11 years ago

4-6 oz should be enough for 2-3 coats

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-brand-auto-clear-coat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.