• Latest reply 8 years ago by Astropin
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
header8735rf345tgf3465t567.jpg
There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 9 years ago

I have someone coming to pick up my STPRO this weekend. It's a great game and looks amazing but the mode progression is just not for me and it's time to trade it out for something I will play more. I love what Borg has done on his last several releases. I own Tron and TWDLE and just really enjoy how both games play. I'm looking at an XMENLE, METPRO, MET Premium, or IMVE.

Out of those what would you get an why? I've seen several people say that they prefer the PRO metallica over the premium, is this just due to the hammer? I'm leaning towards XMENLE because I think it's a good value game right now with the current prices but my interest in MET has been growing. Which is strange because I'm not a Metallica fan and have said several times that I would not buy that game.

#2 9 years ago

IMVE.

LTG : )™

#3 9 years ago

Iron man or xmen

#5 9 years ago

Met Pro, Met Premium or IMVE
You don't have to be a Metallica fan - you can even change the music if you want.

Both of these games have great fun rulesets - IMO XMen isn't as fun (it is deep though).

#6 9 years ago

Met pro!

#7 9 years ago

I have XMLE, Tron and IMVE

IMO Tron is best and it's a tie between XM and IM but just by a small margin, I could easily say they are a 3 way tie for my favorite Borg games (note have not played much Met or TWD myself).

I like IM mainly because it's so short/quick and I like XMLE mainly because there is a ton of things of do.

I don't have enough time on Met to say one way or the other, but basically I believe you could not possibly go wrong with any of those 3-4 pins you are contemplating.

I prefer the comic super hero pins myself. I have AcDc premium and while at first I was not thinking I'd like it because it's a music pin, now I really love it so maybe Met would be fine as a theme.

I was going to ask a similar question myself if someone would say is Met better or TWD?

#8 9 years ago

Metpro>XMLE>IMVE>METPremium

Met premium is still a good game, I just rank it low because met pro is pretty much the same game for way less.

#9 9 years ago

Jurassic Park and Tales from the Crypt!

I'll also be the only one to answer the Met Pro vs. Premium question - I like the Pro more than the Premium because the hammer does slow the game down a decent amount. The snake's movements do nothing for me. So, the price difference it makes no sense for me to get a machine with a feature I like less than the Pro and another that doesn't interest me one way or another.

Based on what you've said, I'm guessing Met something is for you. IM is brutal. Fun, but also a game that I do not expect to hold it's value much because it's so polarizing - it's my favorite game, but I know a number of people who claim it as one of their least favorites. Metallica seems to be in a high spot for just about everyone.

#10 9 years ago

I find the difficult level just right on Tron and I love all the shots on it. Iron Man is very difficult and very fun, but expect short ball times and it is a one ball game. If you get it all lined up on one ball there is no other pinball machine that match the excitement, but it does not happen often if set up right.

I loved Metallica right after the crank it up update but I got bored again pretty soon. Not sure why, because it has great rules and a lot to shoot for. Maybe it is the ramps. They look great but I found myself only aiming for them when I had to, and a newer game with no ramp fun can get old pretty fast for me. I loved it at first but sold it after a year. I also found it very hard to get to the third crank it up mode, still only halfway to the wizard mode.

Getting to the wizard mode is supposed to be hard but I like to feel that I have a chance to get there one day. That was not gonna happen with Metallica. Even the really hard ones like ac/dc, Lord of the rings, etc. I have a feeling that I could get there on a really good day (even if it will never happen)

X-men is ok. Deep rules but just not fun enough for me. Sold it after 3 months. The callouts got on my nerves after a while.

My vote goes to Tron!

#11 9 years ago

Big Borg fan here. Definitely get Met Pro or IMVE. Met Pro is a little more fun. IM is a little more challenging and addictive. Both are fantastic.

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I was going to ask a similar question myself if someone would say is Met better or TWD?

To soon to tell on TWD. My initial impressions is it has a chance to be great. Cool layout, lots of modes, great artwork, fun to play but very tough. If the code progresses I think it has a really good chance to be a top 10 game. It already has pretty good code compared to the the previous stern releases, time will tell.

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Big Borg fan here. Definitely get Met Pro or IMVE. Met Pro is a little more fun. IM is a little more challenging and addictive. Both are fantastic.

^^^^this exactly...I own both

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

I'm looking at an XMENLE, METPRO, MET Premium, or IMVE.

I have all 3 of these... probably my top 3 favorites. IM is different than the other two because the games are short and I really like having that in a collection. While XM and MET both have deeper rulesets, all 3 seem to be equally tough to master. For you it may boil down to theme, or a need for short vs long ball time, but I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

#15 9 years ago

MSF is a gem that I kept over IM. For less than half the price the game is fun and challenging. IM got old in a few months not enough there . If you got to go Stern- Met Pro.

#16 9 years ago

Iron man VE. But if you dont like the shorter ball times on IM and like the music of Metallica, Met pro is super fun as well.

I had a xmenle. The only reason I sold it was because of the super long games. 15-20 Min average.
It was not fun anymore. Everything was obtainable. I could reach or beat danger room pretty much every game. After only owning it for 3 months.
And Dark Pheonix about 1/10 games.

It is still good, ramps, dots etc. but it became a chore to play. The challenge was gone.

#17 9 years ago

I'm leaning towards the XMEN-LE just because I think they have lost most of the value that they are going to and I can get a great HUO one. Thinking about also moving my LOTR so maybe I'll end up with e MET also. The used Met Premiums are just starting to show up for sale below 6K so I'm thinking if I hold off for 6 months or so on them they may drop to around 5.5K.

#18 9 years ago

1. Move to columbia
2. We buy a warehouse and convert it to a barcade
3. We buy all the games mentioned above
4. We drink beer and play pinball

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from Rockytop:

1. Move to columbia
2. We buy a warehouse and convert it to a barcade
3. We buy all the games mentioned above
4. We drink beer and play pinball

You sir, are a very bad influence on my bank account!!!

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

I have someone coming to pick up my STPRO this weekend. It's a great game and looks amazing but the mode progression is just not for me and it's time to trade it out for something I will play more. I love what Borg has done on his last several releases. I own Tron and TWDLE and just really enjoy how both games play. I'm looking at an XMENLE, METPRO, MET Premium, or IMVE.
Out of those what would you get an why? I've seen several people say that they prefer the PRO Metallica over the premium, is this just due to the hammer? I'm leaning towards XMENLE because I think it's a good value game right now with the current prices but my interest in MET has been growing. Which is strange because I'm not a Metallica fan and have said several times that I would not buy that game.

Met Premium/LE is UNBELIEVABLE. The hammer is awesome, it's earlier issues have been taken care of with the recent updates. The light show is INSANE, with crazy moody colorful GI color change and fade FX that the Pro does not have. Snake jaw is great, rising grave market is cool. Since you've already got Tron, Met Prem/LE is the next best Borg. If you didn't like ST, I don't think you'd like X-Men. Similar 'billion modes to get thru' progression...but I think ST is coded better, physically designed better, and has better voices/sound/music, too. IM is awesome but since you have Tron already, it might feel a little too similar if you want variety....however, if you just can't stand Metallica (not sure what "not a fan" entails) - go IM.

#22 9 years ago

The light show on the Met premium is amazing.

#23 9 years ago

Metallica is one of the best games ever created. It feels like an original theme the way it's done. The artwork is great. The pro is a decent machine also. I couldn't recommend getting metallica more. If I thin my collection down to two games, metallica is staying. This is some of the best pinball software I've ever seen. The strategy is so huge as there's always multiple things you are working for. The premium is great with captive ball mod. The pro is great with proper led mods.

Xmen is really good now also. The LE is the way to go on that one. Night crawlers are too well integrated to get a pro. The artwork is fantastic. There are tons of shots and modes. The software is really good now. You can get a cheap HUO deal on an LE.

Ironman is fun but can be frustrating. The ramps are nowhere near as smooth as say metallica or walking dead. It's a very short ball time game like walking dead with average to good software. I loved it for a while but bored of it quickly (a year). Of three you mention, this is the last Id recommend.

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from erak:

I had a xmenle. The only reason I sold it was because of the super long games. 15-20 Min average.It was not fun anymore. Everything was obtainable. I could reach or beat danger room pretty much every game. After only owning it for 3 months.And Dark Pheonix about 1/10 games.
It is still good, ramps, dots etc. but it became a chore to play. The challenge was gone.

Odd, your outlane posts were set as easy as possible when I bought it from you, you must've changed 'em right before I bought it eh?

Just joshing you, I'm glad you got sick of XMLE - I am loving it. Almost made DP for the first time yesterday, your score is still number 1 though.

Totally understand what you are saying, once a game becomes that easy to complete frequently, it's time to move on.

1 week later
#25 9 years ago

Borg game?

header8735rf345tgf3465t567.jpgheader8735rf345tgf3465t567.jpg

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from erak:

Iron Man VE. But if you dont like the shorter ball times on IM and like the music of Metallica, Met pro is super fun as well.
I had a xmenle. The only reason I sold it was because of the super long games. 15-20 Min average.
It was not fun anymore. Everything was obtainable. I could reach or beat danger room pretty much every game. After only owning it for 3 months.
And Dark Pheonix about 1/10 games.

I'm glad you wrote this. The depth of this game has raised my head a few times, but I had heard the wizard modes were not as hard to reach all in all as other deep sterns. I was sort of thinking of this machine at some point, but I think I will pass now.

#27 9 years ago

Met Pre for sure. I did end up selling mine as the game times became very long and the gameplay became boring but that can happen with any pin. You have the best two out of three now so Met Pre is the one, don't get the pro the lighting show in Met Pre is worth it by itself, plus the extra toy's are great. IM is a good game but in my opinion can't hold up against STLE, TWDLE and Met Pre. Good Luck

5 months later
#28 8 years ago

Looping back around to this post. I ended up adding some older B/W games to my collection instead at the time. Looking at adding either an XMENLE or a MET pro with the upgraded speaker panel and LED's. Any changes in thoughts since 5 months ago? I like both games a lot. I'm a little worried that MET pro will feel to much like tron or TWD as far as it being a make a shot try to recover type game. XMENLE seems like more of a shooters game with deep code and lots of shots. Would XMENLE be a better compliment in my collection or is MET pro just that good of a game that is should be bought anyway?

#29 8 years ago

Iron Man is Borg's best game.

#30 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

If we're just talking about layout, I disagree. I think MET is just as good. What's cool is that what makes the layouts different makes them play very differently. MET is more stop-and-go with the dead-end, scoop and snake. IM is relentless because the IRONMAN targets keep the ball moving nonstop. I like both styles of play, so I own both games.

#31 8 years ago

but from your list, go with IM

#32 8 years ago

Same opinion as before - toss-up between Met and IM

FYI - if you look at the playfield layouts for Met and IM, they are almost exactly the same - like 90%. They play differently because of the rules, and Monger popping up in the middle, but I put them in the "very similar" playing category.

#34 8 years ago
Quoted from T7:

FYI - if you look at the playfield layouts for Met and IM, they are almost exactly the same - like 90%.

The ramps, pops and orbits are pretty much identical, but everything else is different. So maybe 50%? I like having both.

#35 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

If we're just talking about layout, I disagree. I think MET is just as good. What's cool is that what makes the layouts different makes them play very differently. MET is more stop-and-go with the dead-end, scoop and snake. IM is relentless because the IRONMAN targets keep the ball moving nonstop. I like both styles of play, so I own both games.

But I'm *not* just talking layout. There's a lot more to a pin than just it's layout.

MET has too much bashing for my tastes.

#36 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

This....or maybe this and Tron roughly tied. Met isn't bad either. I was a pre-order X-Men LE guy and it financially devastated me, (even after the final code update) so I'm probably not a fair voice of reason when it comes to X-Men.

#37 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

But I'm *not* just talking layout. There's a lot more to a pin than just it's layout.

You must really hate TWDLE then. Bash this, bash that, bash them all again. You have the prison doors, 3 zombies, and a drop target.

#38 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Quoted from RobT:

I guess you're talking about the captive ball and Sparky, and the # of times you have to hit these to get their multiballs. I never get tired of hitting the captive ball. The inlane timer for doubling the # of hits is nice, and bouncing off the captive ball into the Snake scoop is awesome. Sparky can get a little old, but if you only shoot him to complete a "lane" you can build up Sparky MB and Seek & Destroy at the same time.

And needless to say, the rules on MET are far deeper than on IM. That makes it play very differently. Whereas, Avatar did feel too much like IM, and led me to sell it.

#39 8 years ago

Twister!

#40 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I guess you're talking about the captive ball and Sparky, and the # of times you have to hit these to get their multiballs.

Every MB on MET involves "bashing". Bash Sparky, bash the hammer, bash the snake, bash the inline targets.

Quoted from jgentry:

You must really hate TWDLE then.

I never once used the word "hate". You know why? Because I don't hate MET by a long shot. It's a good pin that I thoroughly enjoyed when I owned it for a year. But the bashing did get a bit old for me.

Doesn't mean I "hate" it.

#41 8 years ago
#42 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

[...]bash the snake, bash the inline targets.

bash - verb
1.strike hard and violently.
"bash a mosquito with a newspaper"

I would not say that aiming a ball at a small target and hitting it is "bashing". If you think it is, then everything in IM involves bashing: bash the stationary targets, bash the Monger, bash the War Machine kicker...

#43 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

bash - verb
I would not say that aiming a ball at a small target and hitting it is "bashing".

But I would. Especially the snake.

Doesn't matter to me at all whether you agree or not.

#44 8 years ago

It looks like you dropped Iron Man from the choices this time around. If that was intentional, definitely just get a Metallica. None of the responses recommended XMen over Metallica. So it seems you have a consensus.

#45 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I would not say that aiming a ball at a small target and hitting it is "bashing". If you think it is, then everything in IM involves bashing: bash the stationary targets, bash the Monger, bash the War Machine kicker...

Quoted from RobT:

But I would. Especially the snake.
Doesn't matter to me at all whether you agree or not.

Likewise. Enjoy bashing your ramps.

#46 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

bash - verb

Funny, talking aboot this in response to the bashing in another thread

Quoted from TheLaw:

Bash Whiplash for multiball
Bash War Machine multiball
Bash the Iron Man targets
Bash the Iron Monger etc

#47 8 years ago

I reserve the word "bash" for something wider than a standard target, like Iron Monger, Wolverine, Balrog, etc. I thought that was the accepted use.

#48 8 years ago

I see Rob's point, but it just doesn't bother me. Whether I have to shoot a ramp to light lock or a captive ball is cool. I just can;t get behind calling a drop a "bash target."

#49 8 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I see Rob's point, but it just doesn't bother me. Whether I have to shoot a ramp to light lock or a captive ball is cool. I just can;t get behind calling a drop a "bash target."

Yep, and like I said above, I have no problem with that disagreement on the drop target.

And of course it doesn't really technically matter anyway, it's merely an issue of whether it "bothers you" as you state above.

Remove the word "bash" and you still have a lot of repetitive/monotonous shots to start every MB on MET *in my opinion*.

Again, I am not bashing the pin! I like it quite a bit. Just not a keeper for me, mostly because of repetitive nature of starting those MB's.

#50 8 years ago

Rob, did you sell your MET before the new code came out? I don't go for multiballs anymore unless I'm competing; there's just so much other cool stuff to do now. For recreational play it's all about Crank It Up for me.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
11,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lubbock, TX
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clinton, OH
7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elgin, OK
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.50
$ 4.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 78.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-borg-game-to-add-next and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.