Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Pinbub
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0706FBC1-4C0B-419C-B9B2-2B5F776D1108 (resized).jpeg
    39E37CCD-54A3-40AE-B5D2-8CA14924DC60 (resized).png
    #1 1 year ago

I'm getting back into pinball after 35 years and I'm finding that I love it as much now as I did when I was a kid, if not more so, because of the technological advances. I've been reading through Pinside posts and have seen people talk up the story, speed, flow, layout, coding, mechs, art, music, sound effects, lighting, etc of various pins. I would like to know what characteristics are most important to you all, and which machines, old and new, check most of your boxes. Just looking at the top 100 rankings doesn't give me the full picture because I don't know what makes those pins so special. Thanks in advance.

#2 1 year ago

Whirlwind

#3 1 year ago

Twister

#4 1 year ago

Early 80s Bally games.
    I have an EK Solid State and EM that I just love.
    And I have an original Fathom and new Fathom that I’m so lucky to have.
    The rules are so simple and just the best to play with your friends for dollars because of the short ball times. This is key.

#5 1 year ago

WPC games is what I enjoy the most and what I aim for when buying.

#6 1 year ago
    39E37CCD-54A3-40AE-B5D2-8CA14924DC60 (resized).png39E37CCD-54A3-40AE-B5D2-8CA14924DC60 (resized).png
    #7 1 year ago

Theme, art, sounds and immersion...most of which I'm finding only in my custom games and 80s and 90s pins.

#8 1 year ago

When I end a ball and think "My heart is pounding, I've been holding my breath, what even just happened?" because it was so exhilarating.

#9 1 year ago

If you are talking about pinball "since 1987 (35 years ago)", I'd go with "pinball moments". A pinball moment for me is something neat that happens on the playfield that draws your attention to something whether or not the ball is actually moving. The big ones that come to mind for me are:

Adams' Family "It's Show Time"! The light show that happens when you get multiball or the thing lock.
    Star Trek: The Next Generation (2). Borg Multiball Start with the ship launching he ball back at you and Warp 9.
    Data East Jurassic Park: The T-Rex Eating the Ball
    Avengers Infinity Quest: Hulk Spinner
    Sega Goldeneye: Satellite Jump shot Ramp and catc
    Lord of the Rings Two Towers Multiball: To War!!!
    Godzilla Buidling Destruction Multiball Start"
    Fish Tales Monster Fish Shot

There are a few, but the best games all have one

Edit to add:

I have gotten more "pinball hair blowing back" moments since I started playing in leagues and tournaments. When getting knocked out for the evening is on the line the ball seems to count more. I can always come back next week and try again for $6. You don't even have to be any good to have fun.

#10 1 year ago

The music in Total Nuclear Annihilation.

#11 1 year ago

The thing I enjoy most about this hobby is exploring ALL vintages of pins and
    how they evolved over the years. Also finding derelict machine, most would not
    touch, and restoring them although haven't done much of that lately.

My faves which are the ultimate combination of game play, artwork and
    (evolving) technology are the Gottlieb series 1 & 80 pins like Black Hole,
    Spiderman, Mars:GOW, Sinbad and others.

#12 1 year ago

Taking out Smaug in Hobbit is pretty epic. It's a lot of work. Flippers go dead...and you watch Smaug's death scene from the movie. Great lights and the shaker is going crazy... All the balls drain / then relaunch for victory laps.

#13 1 year ago
    Quoted from DualXaustion:

... I've been reading through Pinside posts and have seen people talk up the story, speed, flow, layout, coding, mechs, art, music, sound effects, lighting, etc of various pins. I would like to know what characteristics are most important to you all, and which machines, old and new, check most of your boxes. ...

All of the above. These all factor into the vibe the game gives you - and it's obviously a subjective (personal) thing. EM's are comparatively simple, but have a charm of their own. Solid states are typically fast and challenging. DMDs and newer games are usually deep in code and audio/visual effects. My favorite games are fun to shoot and have a theme and artwork that I appreciate as well.

Opinions can be great, but you'll soon be overwhelmed with recommendations. What really matters is how much YOU enjoy playing a particular game and the only real way to know that is to play them. Play enough of them and you'll find some hidden jewels that don't make the "Top 100" or "Best this or that" lists, but truly appeal to you.

#14 1 year ago
    0706FBC1-4C0B-419C-B9B2-2B5F776D1108 (resized).jpeg0706FBC1-4C0B-419C-B9B2-2B5F776D1108 (resized).jpeg
    #15 1 year ago

Thanks all. I appreciate the replies. Gives me a good place to start

#16 1 year ago

BK 2000 with the sound cranked up.

#17 1 year ago

I don't have any hair to get blown back...so I guess nothing.

#18 1 year ago
    Quoted from DennisDodel:

This is indeed awesome. Reminds me of TheKorn's tricked out BK2K from Expo '05. That thing was insanely loud. You could hear it *everywhere* in the Wyndham.

#19 1 year ago
    Quoted from DennisDodel:

X2

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-blows-your-hair-back?hl=vipertim and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.