Black_Rider.jpg
BK_glass.JPG
black_rider.jpg
black_rider2.jpg
dark_rider_playfield.jpg
dark_rider_backglass.jpg
black_knight_clone.jpg
#1 11 years ago

I know of two clones of this game and wondered if there are any more out there...

One I know is called Cavaleiro Negro and is by Taito (not in Pinside archive... Robin ), the other is a game I actually own called (I think!) Dark Rider (also not in Pinside archive), but I can't remember the manufacturer (part of the reason for starting this topic!). It's way too buried for me to drag it out to satisfy my curiosity and I'm not even 100% sure of it's name, although I have it listed in my 'pinballs I've bought book' as Dark Rider!!

There's a Dark Rider by Geiger (or Komplett) (which IS in the Pinside archive), but this has massively different backglass artwork, and I've no idea what the playfield on this one is like. On the Dark Rider I have it's almost identical to Black Knight, but with stand-up targets instead of drop targets...

I THINK there might also be a clone called Black Rider by someone... (this may actually be the one I have!!?? There is a Black Rider in the Pinside database but with no images (I linked it to the post), and I can't see the IPD from work... so am totally puzzled!!

If someone could even check the IPD for images of Black Rider AND see if there is ANOTHER Dark Rider as well as the one here, and post an image of the backglass for this, then it would help my confused state!!

If anyone can help build a database of clones of Black Knight, I'd be interested!

Name, manufacturer, year built, differences from the original...

Cheers!

#2 11 years ago

Black rider:
http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=3968

Says it's a conversion kit for star trek. Does yours have a 2nd playfield?

Wow! Cavaleiro Negro is nearly an exact clone of black knight
http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=4568&picno=24221
black_knight_clone.jpgblack_knight_clone.jpg

Sounds aren't nearly as good as black knight:

#3 11 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Cavaleiro Negro is nearly an exact clone of black knight

I'd say that's close enough to be an actual clone

I can't get IPDB, so can't see the link you sent...

Any chance you can post a pic here of the Black Rider playfield that you're referring to...?

The one I have is again pretty much an exact clone, but it has stand-up targets where the original AND Cavaleiro Negro both have DTs... The glass in mine is closer to the original because the displays are located about the same...

#4 11 years ago

I can't get IPDB, so can't see the link you sent...

Any chance you can post a pic here of the Black Rider playfield that you're referring to...?

"A conversion kit for Bally's 1979 'Star Trek'.

The backglass artwork is a mirror image copy of a 1973 painting called "The Death Dealer" by the fantasy artist Frank Frazetta.

We previously showed a manufacturer date of 1985 for this game. However, Mr. Geiger has informed us that this kit was made in 1984 and that artist Michele "Mike" Martinelli did all of the Geiger conversion kits. He also provided the production run quantity."

dark_rider_backglass.jpgdark_rider_backglass.jpg dark_rider_playfield.jpgdark_rider_playfield.jpg

#5 11 years ago

Thanks for posting this!

This is nothing like the game I have, but unless I've been extremely dumb in writing the name game down in my 'book' I have another 'Dark Rider' which IS a BK clone... undoubtedly by a different manufacturer... does the IPDB mention another game called Dark Rider?

I may, of course, have been extremely dumb and written Dark Rider when I should have written Black Rider... Any chance someone can post a pic of what the IPDB shows Black Rider as? (Pinside has no pics, but it IS listed on its data-base)...

Toyotaboy: Who is 'we' by the way? Are you connected to the IPDB or another database?

#6 11 years ago

Toyotaboy: Who is 'we' by the way? Are you connected to the IPDB or another database?

No, I was quoting from the site

Yes, you meant black rider:
http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?gid=4085

black_rider2.jpgblack_rider2.jpg black_rider.jpgblack_rider.jpg

Btw, when you say blocked from IPDB, do you mean a filter at work, or you cant access it from your country?

#7 11 years ago

No, I was quoting from the site

Ahh, yes, this makes sense

Thanks for these pics!!

It's really bugging me now... that does look like mine, but then any clone of BK would... What's getting me is that I remember studying the backglass on mine and seeing almost no difference in the artwork at all... I remember finding it hard to see differences, but here this game has massive shields with intricate artwork inside on either side halfway up... I don't think mine had this or I'd remember it...

here's the original BK glass for comparison:

Are you sure the IPDB doesn't have another entry for Dark Rider?

I really wish the game wasn't so burried now so I could dig it out and put an end to this mystery...

Yep, it's a firewall at work that blocks me... and when I'm home I get blocked by my wife/kids from using the net at all

BK_glass.JPGBK_glass.JPG

#8 11 years ago

By the way... Is there a playfield shot of that Black Rider on the IPDB so you can tell if the targets are drop or stand-up? Mine are definitely stand up!

Sorry for asking you to do my IPDB legwork... I really appreciate it!!

#9 11 years ago

Look like stand-up

Black_Rider.jpgBlack_Rider.jpg

#10 11 years ago

Yep, they're standups allright...

Maybe I've got a weird version of this game called Dark Rider, but they had to change the name after running off a few backglasses (and possibly playfields now I can see the name there also) because of the other Dark Rider that was out around that time...

The mystery will just have to be put on hold 'till I get the gamesroom done and can therefore get to stuff!

Expect to see this topic re-surface in approximately 2 years

#11 11 years ago

Why did it take 2 attempts to get this post to be posted, and when the 2nd attempt worked, it then posted the first attempt with it...?

Post edited by pinballslave : Wording changed because it was same as first attempt

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 959.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westjordan, UT
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 53.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vista, CA
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 1,059.00
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-black-knight-clones-exist and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.