(Topic ID: 257731)

What "bad" game would turn into a "great" game with better rules?

By JodyG

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 100 posts
  • 64 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by TRAMD
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tenor (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider JodyG.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

@chuckwurt mentioned in another thread that Monopoly would be a much better game if it were not for the wood choppy rules. What games have a fun layout, but terrible rule set? Can you turn any layout into a great game as long as the rules are fun?

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from greenhorn1:

I don't know if you could make it great but Stern IJ could go from being a truly awful game to at least fun with a complete software overhaul. Game layout isn't great but it's at least serviceable.

This is one that comes up in my own mind. We had one on location nearby recently, and I couldn't even find a gameplay guide for it anywhere on the internet. Such a shame they had such a great license and pissed it away.

#34 4 years ago
    Quoted from PantherCityPins:

Earthshaker. Great idea, cool intergration of the shaker motor, nice layout. Bad rules make the center ramp exploitable and really no reason to do much else unless you don’t care about score.

Most System 11 games seem to have the same "middle ramp, million point" exploit. Even worse is the point stealing option for the last player on Police Force. That's a game breaking flaw, IMO.

#46 4 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

I always thought the System 80B games were pretty okay. Simple, but ok.
    It’s not until you get to System 3 where things turn messy. Random awards, spammable shots, catch-up, Etc. They tried too much too fast and didn’t take the time to refine what would otherwise be cool idea implementation. People love to hate on them, but a lot of their decks are really fun to shoot otherwise.

Gottlieb seemed to get into the format of shooting a set series of shots in order around the playfield to advance the game as opposed to chopping wood around one shot like many others. Not all Gottlieb games were like this by any means....but Victory stands out as an 80B game in this format, then with System 3 games, you have Operation Thunder, Teed off, etc. Waterworld actually had some fairly deep rules that most people didn't understand, as well as the nifty window award grid...but the theme spiked most peoples interest right off the bat.

#48 4 years ago
    Quoted from cait001:

Every Gottlieb/Premier game deserves a deep ruleset. Some of the most novel playfields. Someone please do a 2.0 version of Gold Wings.

I keep thinking I will sell my Goldwings, but then I think about it and realize how much I like the game for what it is. I actually did a full rebuild on it including clearcoating the playfield. The layout is unique and the half million shot is hard as hell (usually make it by accident). Although, I wish it was more based on making certain shots in order like Operation Thunder. As it stands, the best way to high scores on Gold Wings is increasing the bonus multiplier up to the moon and then scoring the half million shot during multiball.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider JodyG.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-bad-game-would-turn-into-a-great-game-with-better-rules?tu=JodyG and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.