atlantis-1975-f-1.jpg
image.jpg
IMG_1401.JPG
DSCF8994.JPG
DSCF8993.JPG
DSCF8984.JPG
DSCF8982.JPG
image-911.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frg.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#18 9 years ago

hey aurich,

beware! you are about the add one more level of addiction
there is super great stuff in this era of pinball. i quote my post from the above mentioned thread... still valid...

and like kevin also wrote... only ten? ah five?

1. Fathom - "the pride of creation"; two inline drop target banks with a kick out hole to lock balls... and on top they can be remotely "controlled" by another drop target bank. Then there is a spinner, which can give huge points, especially when lit during a two or three ball multiball. Furthermore a "hurry up" extra ball shot after shooting on another drop target bank in 1-2-3 order. One more thing to mention - a very nice "satisfying" combo... left flipper - cave trap drops, upper right flipper lagoon cave drops (or kick out hole)... (now I have to stop )

I am pretty sure that this machine was only possible because of the huge commercial success of machine like Harlem Globetrotters, Kiss, Star Trek, etc. one or two years before - but okay that's another story!

2. Eight Ball Deluxe - maybe the best single ball machine on this planet. Beside the layout there is a nearly perfect ruleset.

3. Centaur - the most unique and innovative pinball of all time (my personal opinion). Self ejecting (up to 5!) multiball, echo board for even improving the super cool sound, captive ball for inline drop targets, magnet which holds the ball, "hurry up" (multiplier) bonus collect shot and some say the best (at least coolest) artwork ever... Only my personal number 3 because of the not perfect ruleset - but still it is very good. I also miss a spinner or playfield multiplier.

4. Flash Gordon - hey, you need skills and a plan to have fun (and points) with this machine. And that's exactly why I love it! The artwork is also very nice - it is a shame, that nearly cabinets are totally faded. It looks great in original red. That's the only multilevel design I really like.

5. Star Gazer - a unique design (in the usual sling area), the best spinners in pinball history. Nice rule integration for the middle spinner and the drop target right beside. I also love the way a lot of early Sterns redirect the ball.

So now it is getting hard to find an order

6. - 9. (alphabetically )

Future Spa - complex layout, nice ruleset, super fun to play

Harlem Globetrotters - one of the best players, a true battle machine in competition but compared to the top 5 it lacks of features

Paragon - which pinball machine has Golden Cliffs, a Valley of Demons, a Beast's Lair and a Waterfall Lane. It must have been a lot of fun to design this pinball. In terms of details and artwork a top 5 machine. And it has one of the toughest shots ever - the kick out hole (5x/extraball) which is protected by a little plastic which denies clear "perfect" shots.

Seawitch - turn it on and you will the sound of waves, how cool is that ? A superfast player, nice integration of the drops!

The 10. place - not sure, so the is an incomplete honor roll for other outstanding pinballs

Frontier - "ugly", but a challenging machine with the best "indirect" bonus collect shot.

Viking - a little bit unbalanced, but the absolutely best bonus collect shot - left flipper to the kick out hole on the top left side... sounds easy, but check out the way the ball has to go

Barracora - as you have seen til now only bally/stern... and there could be even more of them... okay Williams did a great job on this machine - design, layout, multiball - fun! Firepower 2 is also close, especially with the drop target upgade.

Black Hole - such an amazing pinball machine. Gottliebs masterpiece - but still, I do not fall in love with the Gottlieb solid states - can't tell why. Maybe first of all because of the way the ball flows on this impressive Sys80 widebody lineup. A friend of mine has a nearly complete Sys80 lineup. That looks so cool having them in a row - but still no greed to get them.

#51 9 years ago
Quoted from HunchbackHodler:

Out of curiosity, what elements of Centaur's ruleset do you not like?
(other than the lack of playfield multiplier like you stated)

Lack of an extraball (not because of points or as a special replacement),

A spinner instead of the gate (way to the bonus x) would have added a nice scoring option, but maybe that would have been to close to Fathom. The drops behind the captive ball were/are unique, but I find it much more satisfying to go and hit directly the drops.

So the gameplay itself is too much about getting those ORBS target in the right order or get the guardian feature. Ideally you get the first add-a-ball with two shots (OR, BS), then you go for more ORBS and try to get the release target lit (sequence feature).

Don't get me wrong... Centaur is a masterpiece (for any reasons) and as I said the most unique and innovative pinball machine - ever! But the gameplay of Fathom seems more balanced and interesting to me.

image-265.jpgimage-265.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Centaur has a special place in my homeoffice.
I feel blessed with this line up and even though my dmd lineup is also okay, I would rather go for this beauties.

#77 9 years ago
Quoted from bangerjay:

No cosmic gunfight on any of these lists?!!!

Cosmic Gunfight is a great machine - i like the "abc matrix" to get the cosmic ball, but most of the others here mentioned are "slightly" better...

#108 9 years ago
Quoted from Classic_Stern:

I truly believe one of my gems from this era is my mint Stingray. Everyone loves the game and when they play it they cannot believe how sweet it is. I consider it a total sleeper but such a great game.

What a beauty! Congratulations! One of the most beautiful machines ever! Just by taking a look at it, you will be in good spirits...

I had the chance to play a decent one and the gameplay itself is not super great but for sure not disappointing like with other beauties.

1 week later
#131 9 years ago
Quoted from Classic_Stern:

No question. Just finished up my NOS swap on Fathom. Having a perfectly restored example of Seawitch, Fathom and Stingray all look sweet together....Ocean view baby!!!

It's "only" an EM... but an Atlantis would also fit in this line

atlantis-1975-f-1.jpgatlantis-1975-f-1.jpg
Source: http://flyers.arcade-museum.com/?page=thumbs&db=pinballdb&id=508

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 99.00
$ 20.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Freeland, MD
3,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elkhart, IN
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Other
Volcano Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Berkeley Springs, WV
$ 129.99
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 179.00
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frg.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-are-your-top-5-80s-pins?tu=frg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.