atlantis-1975-f-1.jpg
image.jpg
IMG_1401.JPG
DSCF8994.JPG
DSCF8993.JPG
DSCF8984.JPG
DSCF8982.JPG
image-911.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aurich.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

I was playing at league tonight, and had the pleasure of playing a nice row of 80s games (thanks Jim!). Not pictured here is the Stargazer to the right:

image.jpgimage.jpg

It was a nice change of pace, I've really only been playing either modern games or EMs lately. Metallica or Abra Ca Dabra, Star Trek or Royal Flush. It was cool to sort of get a middle ground from what I'm used to playing. They really bridged the worlds, would round out my collection.

I thought might sell my Scared Stiff, pick up a fun 80s game, and put the difference into my Big Lewboski pre-order. Or maybe a trade + cash, whatever comes up. Or just buy one and keep Scared Stiff for now! See how it goes. That gives me a pretty flexible budget, so I can afford a nice example or a restored one if the right game comes along. Not up for doing another restore right now, I don't have the bandwidth.

I still need to find a Medusa to play, and Fathom. Centaur is of course great, Flash Gordon was a lot of fun too. Mystic was cool, maybe slightly less interesting in theme and presentation, but the gameplay was pretty solid. I dunno that I really want a widebody, but I do like Scorpion.

I'd love to hear what other people like. It doesn't have to be five, or in any order, people just seem to like making lists, so I figured it was the right way to ask.

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

You're sort of talking early 80s pins there I guess. So discounting Sys11 (86 upwards...)

Yeah, I should have made that more clear, thanks for pointing that out, edited the title. I have an EATPM, definitely talking early 80s, not System 11.

#8 9 years ago

I'd consider late 70s too I guess, no point in being too arbitrary about the decade.

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from Squeakman:

Sorcerer is a pretty damn fun 80's game.

It's a fun game, and beautiful art and theme, I wish the sound didn't grate on me so much. Not a big fan of that looping background sound.

Quoted from Squeakman:

Flash Gordon is the best of the bunch that you are talking about. I love my Centaur, but I am about ready to part with it, Great art, and game, but the lastability isn't really there with me.

I really enjoyed Flash Gordon, it was fast and fun, and the multilevel part was cool. I like that mini flipper shot up top, you've really got to pay attention and be ready to take advantage of it.

I'd definitely put it on the list. With these old games it's usually about what you find, not what you want, so you never know.

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from txx3ddq442:

No way would I part with a Scared Stiff for it though.

Heh. I love my Scared Stiff, but I'm close to running out of space. I haven't actually hit the point where I'm ready to give it up, but if the right pin came along I might. I really like having a variety of styles, don't want a collection that's all the same kinds of games.

Problem is nice examples of the pins everyone is listing here (thanks, big help for narrowing things down) don't show up too often. I'll have to keep my network's eyes open I guess. See what pops up.

#38 9 years ago

I really need to find a Medusa to play. I love the look of it, but some people say the rules are just too shallow for long term fun, nothing but shoot to the upper playfield and hit the targets, rinse and repeat.

#62 9 years ago

I'd really like to play a Fathom, haven't had the chance yet. I'll keep my 80s game radar more active now.

#74 9 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Aurich did say he would consider late 70's games too. Meteor is a fantastic game if it's set up properly.

Yeah, for sure. The date isn't important, it's the vibe. 80/81 seems to be the sweet spot though for sure for what I'm looking for.

#90 9 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

You "need" to play Fathom. It has a few unique features that work well together in a beautiful package.

Yeah, I watched Bowen's (excellent as always) tutorial the other day. I'll keep my eye out for one for sure.

#101 9 years ago
Quoted from BumperMcBaulhogh:

Medusa is way deeper than this thread is giving it credit for.

I'd definitely love to find one to play, the theme is killer for me. I grew up loving Clash of the Titans, came out when I was a kid, and Medusa was awesome in that.

#109 9 years ago
Quoted from Strange:

P.S~ OP don't sell Scared Stiff. It's the best game in your collection IMO.

Haha. I love it, it's an awesome game, I wanted one every since I got into collecting and was super happy when I got it. But I just don't play it much anymore. It's not even about the money, it's about space. If I can hold onto it I probably will, I don't actually want to sell it, but I'd rather have games that I'm enjoying playing, not just "owning".

We'll see, I'm in no rush. If a collector's quality early 80's Bally comes along then I can make a call then. I can afford to be picky and wait for a nice game, don't want a ton of playfield wear and no time to tackle a restoration right now.

1 week later
#118 9 years ago

It's a pity Fathom has suddenly become so hot, expensive, and hard to obtain, because I'm becoming attracted to it.

1 year later
#159 8 years ago

I saw this thread title and went "ooh, I want to read that one!"

Then I realized it was my thread.

I had a Fathom on loan, great game. I currently have Medusa, Flash Gordon, Eight Ball Deluxe, and Mystic.

I'd still like to own a Centaur some day. Those Bally games just hit the right spot for me.

#188 8 years ago

I'd sell my EBD before my Flash Gordon.

#190 8 years ago

I'm definitely not talking about games from '85 in terms of what I was thinking of with the spirit of this thread. 1980-83 really. Once you hit '84 things start to change. Bally games cheaped out for instance.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 69.00
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 99.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elkhart, IN
$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 20.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

2,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Freeland, MD
$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aurich.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-are-your-top-5-80s-pins?tu=aurich and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.