(Topic ID: 293865)

What are your top 3 Williams 70s EMs?

By chuckwurt

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What are your top 3 Williams 70s EMs?”

• Dipsy Doodle 1 vote
    • Straight Flush 5 votes
      2%
    • Solids and Stripes 1 vote
    • Doodle Bug 9 votes
      3%
    • Klondike 10 votes
      3%
    • Olympic Hockey 9 votes
      3%
    • Spanish Eyes 28 votes
      9%
    • Honey 4 votes
      1%
    • Super Star 4 votes
      1%
    • Fan Tas Tic 4 votes
      1%
    • Swinger 2 votes
      1%
    • Travel Time 7 votes
      2%
    • Fun Fest 1 vote
    • Gulf Stream 7 votes
      2%
    • Jubilee 0 votes
    • OXO 18 votes
      6%
    • Darling 1 vote
    • Triple action 8 votes
      2%
    • Dealers choice 7 votes
      2%
    • Sky Lab 9 votes
      3%
    • Strato Flite 9 votes
      3%
    • Star Pool 1 vote
    • Pat Hand 3 votes
      1%
    • Little chief 3 votes
      1%
    • Triple strike 11 votes
      3%
    • Toledo 0 votes
    • Space mission 32 votes
      10%
    • Aztec 18 votes
      6%
    • Grand Prix 60 votes
      18%
    • Blue chip 4 votes
      1%
    • Liberty bell 7 votes
      2%
    • Big Deal 10 votes
      3%
    • Hot Tip 15 votes
      5%
    • Ranchero 5 votes
      2%
    • Argosy 11 votes
      3%
    • 4 aces 2 votes
      1%

(Multiple choice - 326 votes by 116 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

received_1468051940201230 (resized).jpeg
    received_2961192697533304 (resized).jpeg
    P1010797 (resized).JPG
    P1010178 (resized).JPG
    50C65A02-9000-4292-995B-F6D5ADE35F34.gif
    pasted_image (resized).png
    6FA67CE2-6267-472B-A6E8-829FC476EDAF (resized).jpeg
    39174A0F-34B2-4409-9B86-A3F4D2B79672 (resized).jpeg
    443 (resized).jpg
    20210525_210935 (resized).jpg
    F4AD65E6-7F19-4B1D-A97E-322D6F4FCE44 (resized).jpeg
    CCF291B4-F146-4903-BAA3-A9A369CE9EEA (resized).jpeg
    8A851211-C188-4498-9B5A-E6D856FF1EEF (resized).jpeg
    017D71BE-76A0-4945-8191-A7CA77BAC8E5 (resized).jpeg
    phoenix (resized).jpg
    20201223_155122 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chuckwurt.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

So I own Hot Tip, Grand Prix, and have an Argosy on loan.

I was thinking I haven’t played a better set of Williams games ever.

I owned Dipsy Doodle for years and years and loved it, but I think I’d take all of these over that at this point.

That said, what are your top 3 and why especially if it’s not a common choice?

#5 2 years ago

Some other good ones I forgot about when making the list:

Pat hand
    Spanish Eyes

Love those games.

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

4 Aces isn’t on here! I picked one up because of the magnet feature. Never seen or played another EM with magnets in it!!! Very very cool.

Added! The doodle bug games have a magnet too. I was surprised so many EMs used them.

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Where is the magnet? I couldn’t find a list of EMs that use magnets. At least the IPDB doesn’t denote any others using it.

Under the playfield. It’s the doodle bug feature. A captive ball is in there and once it starts running the magnet makes the ball run up and down scoring 10 or 100 or 1,000 or 10,000 depending on what you’ve accomplished.

#12 2 years ago

I’m tapped on choices! Dammit. Well I tried to grab all the game that were in mass production and clearly missed some. My bad.

#14 2 years ago

Gottliebs are great, but Williams has at least three that are amazing too. Haha

But yeah, more based on gameplay than looks.

#16 2 years ago
    Quoted from radial_head:

Any reason you specifically are looking at 70s?

Those are the ones I like and know the most about. I’ve played some awesome ones from the 60s when I visited VFW, but I’ve probably played less than 10 of them total.

#19 2 years ago
    Quoted from MVCO:

Dealers Choice

Seen a couple for dealers choice. This always looked like hell to me. Gameplay really good then?

#21 2 years ago

Can you go into more details? I’ve never played it.

#23 2 years ago

Found a dealers choice video. Triple bonus is a great feature, but kind of disappointing all the card targets do is light EB/special since I use EMs for tournaments a lot and those features don’t do me much good.

#30 2 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

Satin Doll was another good earner for us but is not on your poll.

Pat hand is.

#31 2 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

Grand Prix is definitely a good tournament game. We've used it many times here in Florida. Aside from being one player, Spanish Eyes is also a popular tournament game.
    To me I think of drop targets when I think of Gottlieb EMs, even though there are some great ones with no drop targets. For Williams I think of spinners, super strong pop bumpers and flippers. The action from the Williams pop bumpers is superb when they are rebuilt and tweaked. Apologies to the people suggesting Space Mission, but the Williams games I really don't like are the ones with the moving center target and the shooter holes in the slings. Those also don't make good tournament games. Further apologies, as I also don't like bowling games with the obligatory ten rollover targets representing pins.
    The other nice thing about Williams EMs is they are much easier to repair and troubleshoot issues than Gottliebs.

Oh yeah. Grand Prix will never leave. Perfect tournament game.

Surprised at the lack of Hot Tip love. Such a good game. The captive ball is so satisfying and the drop targets rules are way better than Grabd Prix.

#33 2 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

Funny I have never seen or played that game. It looks really great. Dang, now I have a game to hunt for!

Hell yeah! That’s my goal with this thread. Get everyone thinking about a Williams EM they didn’t previously think about.

#44 2 years ago

Outside of the games I knew would get the most love, it looks like I need to check out OXO!

#48 2 years ago
    Quoted from ataritoday:

I have never heard of or seen argosy before, I love when that happens. Did they make a lot of them ? Why is it in the top 3 ?

Over 2k made. Last EM by Williams I believe. Great asymmetric layout with decent drop target rules, spinner abs 3 slings.

Very challenging/rewarding single lane up top that’s crucial for scoring big.

#54 2 years ago

I don’t think spinner advances bonus.

#64 2 years ago

I love the challenge of advancing the bonus on Hot Tip EM. It’s not a guarantee at all like Grand Prix. Have to really go for it. Doesn’t just happen. Makes the captive ball crucial.

#67 2 years ago

Getting the captive lit is huge. Then each shot to it is effectively worth 50k. 30k for the target and two bonus advances.

#91 2 years ago

I LED all my EMs. I go warm white everywhere. I think they look great.

#92 2 years ago
    39174A0F-34B2-4409-9B86-A3F4D2B79672 (resized).jpeg39174A0F-34B2-4409-9B86-A3F4D2B79672 (resized).jpeg
    #99 2 years ago

Yeah it’s cool that doodle bug has the possibility of getting to 10k, but it’s basically impossible.

#102 2 years ago
    Quoted from Runbikeskilee:

Not impossible. I could get to 10,000 once or twice/year.

With how much I played, this is what I consider impossible. Haha. I’m sure it’s fun to roll the game in 5 seconds though! I only ever completed 1-4 three times in one ball a couple times in years of owning Dipsy doodle. But my game was restored with a cleared playfield and steep. Crazy fast game.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chuckwurt.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-are-your-top-3-williams-70s-ems?tu=chuckwurt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.