(Topic ID: 293865)

What are your top 3 Williams 70s EMs?

By chuckwurt

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What are your top 3 Williams 70s EMs?”

• Dipsy Doodle 1 vote
    • Straight Flush 5 votes
      2%
    • Solids and Stripes 1 vote
    • Doodle Bug 9 votes
      3%
    • Klondike 10 votes
      3%
    • Olympic Hockey 9 votes
      3%
    • Spanish Eyes 28 votes
      9%
    • Honey 4 votes
      1%
    • Super Star 4 votes
      1%
    • Fan Tas Tic 4 votes
      1%
    • Swinger 2 votes
      1%
    • Travel Time 7 votes
      2%
    • Fun Fest 1 vote
    • Gulf Stream 7 votes
      2%
    • Jubilee 0 votes
    • OXO 18 votes
      6%
    • Darling 1 vote
    • Triple action 8 votes
      2%
    • Dealers choice 7 votes
      2%
    • Sky Lab 9 votes
      3%
    • Strato Flite 9 votes
      3%
    • Star Pool 1 vote
    • Pat Hand 3 votes
      1%
    • Little chief 3 votes
      1%
    • Triple strike 11 votes
      3%
    • Toledo 0 votes
    • Space mission 32 votes
      10%
    • Aztec 18 votes
      6%
    • Grand Prix 60 votes
      18%
    • Blue chip 4 votes
      1%
    • Liberty bell 7 votes
      2%
    • Big Deal 10 votes
      3%
    • Hot Tip 15 votes
      5%
    • Ranchero 5 votes
      2%
    • Argosy 11 votes
      3%
    • 4 aces 2 votes
      1%

(Multiple choice - 326 votes by 116 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

received_1468051940201230 (resized).jpeg
    received_2961192697533304 (resized).jpeg
    P1010797 (resized).JPG
    P1010178 (resized).JPG
    50C65A02-9000-4292-995B-F6D5ADE35F34.gif
    pasted_image (resized).png
    6FA67CE2-6267-472B-A6E8-829FC476EDAF (resized).jpeg
    39174A0F-34B2-4409-9B86-A3F4D2B79672 (resized).jpeg
    443 (resized).jpg
    20210525_210935 (resized).jpg
    F4AD65E6-7F19-4B1D-A97E-322D6F4FCE44 (resized).jpeg
    CCF291B4-F146-4903-BAA3-A9A369CE9EEA (resized).jpeg
    8A851211-C188-4498-9B5A-E6D856FF1EEF (resized).jpeg
    017D71BE-76A0-4945-8191-A7CA77BAC8E5 (resized).jpeg
    phoenix (resized).jpg
    20201223_155122 (resized).jpg
    There are 109 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #52 2 years ago
    Quoted from ataritoday:

I have never heard of or seen argosy before, I love when that happens. Did they make a lot of them ? Why is it in the top 3 ?

It's just fun. It looks like a crap layout when you first look at it, but then you play it and the oddness grabs you immediately - it was in my group at pinburgh ?2012 or so and I'd never played it either. Just a fun little game. Of course, you ignore the 4 bank of drop targets which isn't great either, but it definitely surprised me. I'd buy one given the chance (and the space)

#53 2 years ago

Yeah Argosy is max out your bonus by shooting the spinner (worth 100 or 1000 alternating on/off based on 10pt switches), hitting some advance bonus roll overs, hopefully getting that top center lane for some progress and to open the gate, then the tricky double bonus saucer. Drops aren’t worth going for until you double a max bonus and the spinner is not lit

You can alley pass open the gate in lieu of hitting the top rollover

Solid rules for an EM game

#54 2 years ago

I don’t think spinner advances bonus.

#55 2 years ago

You’re right, it doesn’t advance bonus. But the path from the spinner to the upper left sling goes over advance roll over spinners. I didn’t explain it clearly enough.

#56 2 years ago

Gold Rush, Strato Flite, Hot Tip.

#57 2 years ago

Olympic Hockey is a blast, especially with 2 players.

Space Mission/Odyssey also another good one.

#58 2 years ago
    Quoted from slochar:

Of course, you ignore the 4 bank of drop targets which isn't great either, but it definitely surprised me. I'd buy one given the chance (and the space)

Wait until you max your bonus/double bonus, then go for the targets and the spinner when lit. love the sound when you rip the spinner.

#59 2 years ago
    Quoted from dgAmpGuy:

We like the Christian Marche artwork, but not everybody does.

OXO is a blast and I am a pointy people fan. I often recite this write up of the OXO backglass art to vistors as it is so spot on:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/carnality-as-depicted-in-the-backglass-of-oxo-or-why-oxo-was-misnamed

#60 2 years ago

Hot tip on high tap. The best of the best.

#61 2 years ago
    Quoted from locksmith:

Hot tip on high tap. The best of the best.

1. I know there are a few of us who really like Hot Tip EM. It’s my favorite EM I’ve ever played, and I’m an EM guy. I couldn’t get enough of it two years in a row at ReplayFX, so I searched til I got one. It’s the only EM with drop targets, spinner, and captive ball in the same machine. Also, the consensus seems to be that the EM ruleset is better than the SS version. I actually limit myself playing it for fear of neglecting my other pins.

2. Grand Prix. I don’t know if there’s any better spinner-ripping pin out there from any era.

3. Big Deal. I’ve never actually played one, but I’ve watched enough video to like it already. If I must have played it, it would probably be OXO. I really like the fast pace and the tic-tac-toe aspect.

#62 2 years ago

At one point, I was looking mainly at Gottliebs, and I’m really pleased with the ones I have, but I’ve become more and more of a Williams EM fan. I think the quality of most Williams late EMs shows that they were ready to take over during the SS era when Gottlieb dropped the ball.

BTW, great topic, chuckwurt .

#63 2 years ago

The SS/EM rule differences are subtle on Hot Tip. I believe the differences are most values are 10x on the EM version except some rebound rubbers being 10pt on EM and 500pt on SS, the spinner on the SS advances the bonus every 5 spins, and the max bonus on the SS goes to 19 and not 10. Also the lite over the saucer strobes after a ball is served to the player until a switch is hit.

So the max bonus is higher on the SS but is a bit easier to advance the bonus.

The power is also a bit different. The slings and pop are stronger on the EM version (24VAC that is DC rectified), the SS has slightly stronger flippers (28VDC)

#64 2 years ago

I love the challenge of advancing the bonus on Hot Tip EM. It’s not a guarantee at all like Grand Prix. Have to really go for it. Doesn’t just happen. Makes the captive ball crucial.

#65 2 years ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

The SS/EM rule differences are subtle on Hot Tip. I believe the differences are most values are 10x on the EM version except some rebound rubbers being 10pt on EM and 500pt on SS, the spinner on the SS advances the bonus every 5 spins, and the max bonus on the SS goes to 15 and not 10. Also the lite over the saucer strobes after a ball is served to the player until a switch is hit.
    So the max bonus is higher on the SS but is a bit easier to advance the bonus.
    The power is also a bit different. The slings and pop are stronger on the EM version (24VAC that is DC rectified), the SS has slightly stronger flippers (28VDC)

Two things that make the EM ruleset exciting to me are 1) that all the drops down for the first horseshoe lights the spinner for 1,000 points (not 100), which makes the risk of trying to hit all the drop targets more worthwhile (I really like ripping the spinner for all those points if I can get there), and 2) the top kickout can light the captive ball (which I call the “sucker shot”) for 30,000 (not 3,000), also reducing the risk/reward ratio for that shot.

#66 2 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

I love the challenge of advancing the bonus on Hot Tip EM. It’s not a guarantee at all like Grand Prix. Have to really go for it. Doesn’t just happen. Makes the captive ball crucial.

Yeah, Hot Tip EM is stingy on advancing bonus, which makes trying to go for the drops first more risky.

#67 2 years ago

Getting the captive lit is huge. Then each shot to it is effectively worth 50k. 30k for the target and two bonus advances.

#68 2 years ago
    Quoted from wolverinetuner:

Two things that make the EM ruleset exciting to me are 1) that all the drops down for the first horseshoe lights the spinner for 1,000 points (not 100), which makes the risk of trying to hit all the drop targets more worthwhile (I really like ripping the spinner for all those points if I can get there), and 2) the top kickout can light the captive ball (which I call the “sucker shot”) for 30,000 (not 3,000), also reducing the risk/reward ratio for that shot.

OK, I know this is an EM thread, but which has better rules or are they basically the same: Hot Tip EM or Hot Tip SS? This game is on my search list officially and I want to know which to look for hardest.

Edit: Sorry I missed Treybo discussion of this very question a few posts above

#69 2 years ago

How about Wizard! ? I played it in my youth, some 40+ years ago and remembered liking it. Anyone play it recently? Feedback? I am keeping an eye out for one and would be interested if it is as good as I remembered. Great topic, thanks!

#70 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mapalot:

How about Wizard! ? I played it in my youth, some 40+ years ago and remembered liking it. Anyone play it recently? Feedback? I am keeping an eye out for one and would be interested if it is as good as I remembered. Great topic, thanks!

It's a Bally, not Williams.
    O.K. game. I'd buy one at the right price.

#71 2 years ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

It's a Bally, not Williams.
    O.K. game. I'd buy one at the right price.

Doh! Sorry about that. I appreciate the feedback though.

#72 2 years ago

Soccer/Super Soccer- one of the few EMs that you can collect your bonus during play, makes for real fun.

#73 2 years ago

My Space Mission

017D71BE-76A0-4945-8191-A7CA77BAC8E5 (resized).jpeg017D71BE-76A0-4945-8191-A7CA77BAC8E5 (resized).jpeg8A851211-C188-4498-9B5A-E6D856FF1EEF (resized).jpeg8A851211-C188-4498-9B5A-E6D856FF1EEF (resized).jpegCCF291B4-F146-4903-BAA3-A9A369CE9EEA (resized).jpegCCF291B4-F146-4903-BAA3-A9A369CE9EEA (resized).jpeg

F4AD65E6-7F19-4B1D-A97E-322D6F4FCE44 (resized).jpegF4AD65E6-7F19-4B1D-A97E-322D6F4FCE44 (resized).jpeg
    #74 2 years ago
    Quoted from Silverstreak02:

My Space Mission
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Wow, that’s really sharp.

#75 2 years ago

My Space Mission
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Holy Cow! Who did that restoration? Unbelievable.

#76 2 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

Holy Cow! Who did that restoration? Unbelievable.

I did. I enjoy the detail.

#78 2 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Where is the magnet? I couldn’t find a list of EMs that use magnets. At least the IPDB doesn’t denote any others using it.

Is this what you were seeking? :

1) List of EM games that have the word "magnet" as a Notable Feature:

https://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?gtype=EM&ft=magnet&sortby=date&searchtype=advanced

Note: This searches for any occurrence of that word. A game may say it has no magnets or uses an anti-magnetic ball.

2) List of EM and SS games identified with a Doodle Bug or similar feature (ignore Klondike):

https://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=doodle.bug&sortby=date&search=Search+Database&searchtype=quick#2238

#79 2 years ago

Damn that looks fantastic. great job

#80 2 years ago

Silverstrwk02 must have the nicest Space Mission/Odyssey on the planet.

My votes go to Klondike, Spanish Eyes, and Super Star. I’ve also owned Argosy and Rancho but sold them. I have owned a Hot Tip for years but Magically Erased a spot on my original playfield. I’ve been too pissed off at myself to finish the restoration after my mistake. Fortunately a friend has volunteered, for a fee, to swap out that playfield. Be careful with those feckin’ Magic Erasers, boys.

#81 2 years ago

It shows. Also, I think I like the yellow pop bumper caps better than my blue ones. They really do pop.

#82 2 years ago

Are Spanish Eyes owners trying to manipulate the market?

#83 2 years ago

Wild Card, fantastic game with multiple strategies

#84 2 years ago
    Quoted from bonzo71:

Are Spanish Eyes owners trying to manipulate the market?

I play it a lot more than the MM that sits next to it and my guests play it a lot compared to my other EMs. Seems to be wild and crazy enough that people who normally turn their noses up on an EM actually play it every time they come over.

20210525_210935 (resized).jpg20210525_210935 (resized).jpg
    #85 2 years ago

I have a Spanish eyes in need of a major overhaul. It has not been shopped out in 35 to 40 years. It has some, what I thing is mold on the playfield. Backglass looks good. Will need to move it to the head of the que if its that good. I played it in a amusement park in Omaha somewhere during the 70's. Remember loving the horseshoe and the pop bumper between the flippers. Found it in a warehouse downtown with several other games. If I remember right they where $100 each. Loved the old days.

#86 2 years ago

I don’t own it, but Spanish Eyes is a wholly unique and addicting game. Every time I see it I have to play it. Artwork is marmite but I happen to like it. I’ll round out my picks with Argosy and Big Deal, but Grand Prix and Hot Tip are fun as well. Truth be told, most of these pins are a lot of fun to play.

#87 2 years ago

Your Spanish Eyes game is beautiful, but they need sunglasses with those LEDs.

#88 2 years ago

As said before Olympic Hockey is an absolute blast to play with 2 players head to head. Scoring goals and hearing the buzzer makes it feel like an actual 'game'. I mean... have you ever heard friends and family cheer when a goal is scored in pinball??

This will always be my favorite though...
    443 (resized).jpg443 (resized).jpg

-Paul

#89 2 years ago
    Quoted from TwinDavid:

Your Spanish Eyes game is beautiful, but they need sunglasses with those LEDs.

Camera makes it look brighter than it is in person. Those are Comet Sunlight LEDs which has a nice semi warm color and zero flicker or strobing. Usually I don't do full LED on any of my EMs, but made an exception on this one to keep the heat down because it has a playfield protector. All of my other EMs don't have LEDs in the GI lights. This game does play great in a fully dark room and as mentioned above, it draws in people who don't normally play any EMs the whole time they are here.

#90 2 years ago

It's just a matter of time before the #44 and #47 suffer the same fate as the 455's.

#91 2 years ago

I LED all my EMs. I go warm white everywhere. I think they look great.

#92 2 years ago
    39174A0F-34B2-4409-9B86-A3F4D2B79672 (resized).jpeg39174A0F-34B2-4409-9B86-A3F4D2B79672 (resized).jpeg
    #93 2 years ago

Nice. I once got an EM with cool white LEDs already in the head and I replaced them with #47s because the reflection made it harder to see the playfield (I’m probably concerned about reflection more than most). Warm whites would probably have worked just as well. (I put the cool whites in my Jet Spin playfield, I think they look great there).

#94 2 years ago
    Quoted from wolverinetuner:

Nice. I once got an EM with cool white LEDs already in the head and I replaced them with #47s because the reflection made it harder to see the playfield (I’m probably concerned about reflection more than most). Warm whites would probably have worked just as well. (I put the cool whites in my Jet Spin playfield, I think they look great there).

Comet Retro LEDs are a lot less bright; about as bright as a regular bulb. They work great behind a normal backglass to keep the heat down without adding reflection. For BGResto backglasses, they are not as transparent as the OEM backglasses, so you can use a regular 1SMD LED behind them without creating reflection off the playfield glass.

#95 2 years ago

6FA67CE2-6267-472B-A6E8-829FC476EDAF (resized).jpeg6FA67CE2-6267-472B-A6E8-829FC476EDAF (resized).jpeg

Warm white LED club

#96 2 years ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

[quoted image]
    Warm white LED club

Same, Comet warm white retros.

If anything I have been reducing the brightness in my games backboxes by running the dimmest LED's I can find and in some cases removing bulbs all together in strategic areas.

#97 2 years ago

my holy trinity are klondike, doodle bug and spanish eyes.

have always thought that doodle bug/love bug are the hardest pinball machines to complete the sequence - lighting to the highest payoff on the 'doodle bug' - then keeping it there, while not being able to trap the ball.

notable mentions go to super star and blue chip

#98 2 years ago
    Quoted from illawarra92:

have always thought that doodle bug/love bug are the hardest pinball machines to complete the sequence - lighting to the highest payoff on the 'doodle bug' - then keeping it there, while not being able to trap the ball.

Exactly why Doodle bug was on my WMS EM 70s top 3 list. Along with Aztec and Honey.
    I think I only got to a bonus of 1000s once,
    and was not able to capitalize on it.
    10,000 bonus, no way, only in my dreams.

also love the five pops up top.
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#99 2 years ago

Yeah it’s cool that doodle bug has the possibility of getting to 10k, but it’s basically impossible.

#100 2 years ago

Always liked "Granada". Aside from the artwork, it's completely different from "Spanish Eyes" which is also a great player. Williams made so many games which were great players, but not terribly attractive looking. "Super Star"/"Big Star" is a great example.

There are 109 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-are-your-top-3-williams-70s-ems/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.