Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 104 posts
  • 94 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by DarkWizard
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Top Three Sterns-GO!”

• SpiderMan 10 votes
      11%
    • Tron Pro/Le 13 votes
      15%
    • AC/DC 15 votes
      17%
    • LOTR 17 votes
      19%
    • TSPP 6 votes
      7%
    • POTC 1 vote
      1%
    • Iron Man 9 votes
      10%
    • Metallica 9 votes
      10%
    • Other not listed 8 votes
      9%

(Multiple choice - 88 votes by 32 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

QBzOYKN.jpg
    th-33.jpeg
    There are 104 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #52 9 years ago

1) Star Trek
    2) TSPP
    3) ACDC premium

I don't get the love affair for Tron. Theme is okay and gameplay is fun but not all that - feels like I am missing something. I played LOTR and Ironman a few times and immediately get why people like those. LOTR has a lot going on and is very interesting to play. Ironman is fast and intense. Look forward to playing those two again but not so with Tron.

#53 9 years ago

1 Tron
    2 Tron
    3 Tron
    4 LOTR/Ironman

#54 9 years ago

LOTR - Best theme integration and incredible rules. Adventure programming at its finest.
    TSPP - So many ways to play. So many goals to achieve (dang that pretzel multiball - I'll get you yet!)
    MET - Great rules, great light show, best art on a modern machine. Best Stern in a long time.

#55 9 years ago

1)Spiderman SR best game IMHO

2)LOTR Defines "depth" quite possibly the best rule set ever

3)AC/DC Motion and flow great rule set

#56 9 years ago

I thought the only thing that happens on pinside is a bunch of stern bashing, that's why they are afraid to post any updates.

#57 9 years ago

OP should add a poll with all of the stern games and allow multiple selections. Then have everyone only select their top 3. Then we can see what the over all pinside average is for the top 3 sterns. Would be interesting to see vs. everyones individual selections.

#58 9 years ago

My order changes depending on my mood.

Iron Man
    AC/DC
    XMen

Disclaimer: Haven't been able to put much time in on most of the newer Sterns because no one around here has them. Hard to judge with only a few plays.

#59 9 years ago

Of those I own...

1) Tron Pro, so long as modded..
    - The light show, ELI's Ramps, Arcade Mod are awesome. The sound is pretty awesome especially with an external sub. Decent shaker integration. Difficult but rewarding when you rock it.

2) IJ4 (surprised?)
    - Great theming, sound and toys. Despite having a bad rep we play the hell out of this game and love it as do guests. Ramps and orbits have good flow, the targets make for good stop and shoot play. Despite the reputation it is difficult to Wizard

3) Star Trek Premium
    - It's like STTNG and Attack from Mars made sweet pin love and put forth onto this earth this wonder. Great callouts, flow, speed. Love the sound and decent shaker integration. Light shows are awesome

I'd probably put AC/DC in place of the IJ4 if I had one. I really don't like the band but the pin was a blast to play.

#60 9 years ago

Metallica - I have a blast playing this game. I still suck at it after playing over 600 games, but I have fun every time I play it. I enjoyed playing it before I bought it, but having at home where I can crank up the sound and turn down the lights to enjoy the lightshow in the game, it is even better.

AC/DC - I think this is the most fun you can have in pinball when you are having a good game. Unfortunately, those good games are really rare for me. I don't enjoy the bad games much. I have rarely played this one since I bought Metallica.

I don't think I have a third favorite. Walking Dead hasn't bee great for me, Mustang wasn't much fun. Star Trek is kinda fun, but I can never find one to play with the sound turned up enough to hear it. LoTR is just too long. I haven't played more than a couple games of the others.

#61 9 years ago

STLE: despite needing a final code update, it's the best flowing game of all time and it's super fun as of today. Worst kickback ever, oh well it can't be perfect.

Tron: Fun music and smooth flow.

TAVLE: Fun game after correcting layout flaws (blocked inserts, ball hangups).

#62 9 years ago

Flight 2000, Quicksilver, Lightning.

#64 9 years ago

1) AC/DC LE/Premium

2) Tron LE

3) Ripley's Believe it or Not

#65 9 years ago

1. ACDC LE - Probably the first game after TOM that I parked myself in front of and forced myself to learn it. It simply feels great to play - with the theme and ruleset, you feel successful when you pull off jackpots and learn the strategies you can put towards it. A solid game I play whenever I can.

2. WPT - If there's any place WPT suffers where ACDC doesn't, it's just too much to do. Don't get me wrong - it's not awful to have a lot of ways to play, but it can be intimidating to newer players. On the flip side, there's so many avenues to pursue for points - chip tricks, drop target poker, playing hands - nothing feels overtly weak in terms of progression. Oh yeah, the backglass is also ugly as hell, but that's common knowledge at this point.

3. LOTR - Yeah, another deep ruleset game. LOTR is sadly more defined by it's progression than WPT - a newbie can bust out a song or two on ACDC or win a hand on WPT with a bit of effort, but starting a movie multiball on LOTR can feel difficult and unfulfilling starting out. On the flip side, LOTR's overall theme wins out - once the game finally gets going, it feels epic and that there's always Valinor to reach for. Only other con I'd have for LOTR is that an untuned game can feel a bit janky and unfair after awhile - being unable to make a well aimed Ring shot because of weak flippers is awful - especially if you've been progressing for a long time.

#66 9 years ago

Hard to pick only three, but here it goes:

1) Tron LE - I like the theme, music, dots, layout, rules, artwork....just about everything I like
    1a) Tron Pro - if I hadn't preordered an LE, I would have been 100% happy owning a Pro
    2) RBION - I like the hand drawn artwork and the quirky theme. Rules and shots are well done too
    3) Avatar - there's something about this game that I continue to enjoy even after years of playing it. I got this as a preorder as well and its been in constant use. The soothing music, the colors, I like the simplicity of the layout.

runner up) ACDC Luci - awesome soundtrack and one of my favorite bands. I like the lighting, the shots, the multiballs. Cannon is cool, I love all the other extras on the playfield (including the cross ramp). Lower playfield is different in a game nowadays.

#67 9 years ago

LOTR or TSPP, depends on day. Long, deep, tasty epicness. Made for the home user. I truly believe the two best sterns made by far, though I get some people like the quick and dirties such as Tron.

3rd... ACDC Prem or WPT, not sure. More initial fun with ACDC for sure, and the music makes this pin, but again the song modes, although different, and great scoring rules, do feel the same after a while. I feel this machine still needs an update to truly make it great.

WPT is tough to get into for the first bit, but really opens up, and I love the Keefer journey rules. So many ways to use the MB's, especially AITH. AFM open and rear PF meets a shite load of drops - brilliant combination. One of the best PF designs in a long time, once you remove the rear left gate blocking the orbit.

I have all four.

Interesting... most are a LOTR/SM/TSPP/ACDC or a Tron/IM - depth vs quick and dirty.

#68 9 years ago

I can't pick just 3 so here's 5

Family Guy - One of Lawlor's best designs, one of Keith's best rulesets, one of Stern's best builds....i still feel like FGY is the most "Williams" feeling Stern. It's a great mix of flow and randomness - still keeps me on my toes 8 years later. Also it's the only Stern "comedy" theme on the SAM system...excellent music, sound FX and tons of custom callouts. Stewie Mini-Pinball is one of the best original pinball toys ever.

Tron LE - Addicting as f*ck, fast and buttery smooth, amazing lights and sounds. I'm a big Daft Punk and Jeff Bridges fan - the whole package got me past my indifference to the theme. The way the spinning disc whips the ball at you and "attacks" is just killer fun!

AC/DC Prem - The only game that makes me hop around and dance while I play. Fast and intense gameplay, love the music, love the lights, love the rules...you can play it casual or hardcore - it's always fun no matter what.

LOTR - The best "adventure" in pinball. All other deep wannabes can't hold a candle to this game. It's constantly engaging, epic and fun even if you're in a 45 min game marathon. Even though it's on Whitestar, the music is awesome.

Metallica LE - This one, like FGY, also feels Williamsy. From the art to unique toys to the butter smooth metal ramps (they feel like MB, IMO), this game has it all. The most amazing color changing GI FX on any game to date, Stern's best original art package to date, interesting nuance and unique mode-starts, the risk/reward of the Crank-It-Up modes, Stern's best DMD dots to date, and awesome music!

Shit, I almost can't even just pick 5.

Strong runners up...TSPP and IM. Incredible games, but I suppose they didn't make the cut cuz if I really really had to choose...I'd keep Tron over IM (similar games) and LOTR over TSPP (similar depth)

Picking favorites is hard. Wah.

1 week later
    #69 9 years ago

LOTR, ACDC, MET

TRON likely bumps MET if I ever get to own one. Bottom line is Stern has some fantastic titles to choose from.

#70 9 years ago

1) Tron Great sound and music great light show Eli’s Ramps and Arcade Cabinet 3.1 one of the best pinball machines ever made.
    2) AC/DC love the music I always wanted them to make this one.
    3) TWD the theme Is sooo good. very challenging game play
    4) MET is so fun to play I just can’t get past the band.(I am not a fan at all)

My Top 3 picks all have Lyman codding them very important me. He will actually finish the code.

#71 9 years ago

1. LOTR This would be a perfect game if it wasn't for the crap sound. Gameplay and rules are perfect.
    2. TSPP Perfect art package along with best integration of a theme. Love the call outs.
    3a. STLE Flat out love this game. Fast and fun.
    3b. Spiderman Great shots with great modes. J.K. Simmons adds so much.

Shocked me when I look at my history that I've had 10 other Sterns come and go. I know TWDLE won't be around for ever but I like it for now.

#72 9 years ago

Modern Stern:

LOTR
    Metallica
    Oddly Enough World Poker Tour. Very neat game that doesn't get much love.

Classic Stern:

Flight 2000
    Meteor
    Stars
    (Any Early space themed Stern, I have a thing for space themes)
    Lightning

#73 9 years ago

metallica, spiderman and tron because they are the most fun to play

#74 9 years ago

ACDC BIBLE - Absolutely ruthless, forces you to be dead accurate on shots and has a risk/reward built into the ruleset. #1 Stern of All Time it may be #1 machine of all time... (Best Gameplay)

Tron LE - It is simple but satisfying, I hope to own one of theses one day, it has a great theme, sound package and thou it is quite shallow just a fun machine to play. (Best Sound)

STLE - All depending on code update this machine can move up on the list, it just has a great theme has 18 modes to give it a depth, it has great flow and it just a fun game to play overall, and the light show just put this machine over the top... (Best Theme, Art Package and Look)

Honorable Mentions:

Metallica - Always have a fun time playing this game with crack it up modes and 4x scoring oppotuntiy along with being able to stack multiball makes it a very fun game overall, theme and music for me is a let down in this title and probably why it falls out of the top 3...

Ironman - My kind of game, fast, tough and brutal. If it were something else other than Ironman maybe it would be higher just not my kind of theme...

Others:

RBION, LOTR, SM, WOF, WPT, TSPP, TWD, Mustang,

#75 9 years ago
    Quoted from DylanFan71:

1. LOTR This would be a perfect game if it wasn't for the crap sound.

You can improve the sound using a 100k 1/4 watt pot on R106 (back box speakers) and if anal another one also on R110 (Cab speaker). The issue is the DAC works best when the signal level is high and gets static/crackly when the level is low. I did some tests and even like the pot adjustment better then using a L-PAD system like Flipper Fidelity or Pinball Pro.

#76 9 years ago

Ripleys
    Lotr
    Simpsons

#77 9 years ago

Tron

AC/DC

IM

LOTR

#78 9 years ago

you count funny.

#79 9 years ago

TSPP - theme integration, deep rules, interesting layout, reverse flippers and real actor callouts. My desert island game that is tons of fun.

LOTR - theme integration, deep rules, good flow, long ball times and and real actor callouts. This game really is the complete package.

SM - theme integration, easy to understand rules, good flow and nice multiballs.

There are many other Stern titles that are fantastic like ... Tron, ACDC, MET, Family Guy/Shrek & ST, but as good as these are, they aren't in the same class.

#80 9 years ago

LoTR: theme, sounds, call outs, code, journey
    STLE: theme, sounds, call outs, engulfed play experience, flow/shots/gameplay. This one moves up above LoTR on my list pending final code revision.
    FGY: theme, sounds, call outs, code, overall comedy & fun

#81 9 years ago

I have not played every Stern game so will only rate the ones I have.

1) Metallica
    2) tron
    3) POTC
    4) AC/DC
    5) Mustang
    6) IM
    7) BDK
    8) XMEN
    9) ST

If ac/dc didnt have Angus face on playfield but can not look at that long!!

#82 9 years ago

Austin Powers, Big Buck Hunter, and The Rolling Stones, because I'm contrarian.

#83 9 years ago

1) Mustang premium - it's a great game and (unlike a lot of people) I love the theme
    2) Playboy - unless your wife would make you swap in the inserts with the girls all in bikinis
    3) Tron (either an LE or a pro with the EL-wire mod)

LOTR is a great game but the "artwork" is disappointing
    STLE watching the fantastic light show in attract mode alone almost makes you want it

And I know both games are well regarded, but I don't like any songs by AC/DC or Metallica (and it wouldn't seem right to sub in something like Huey Lewis and the News or Fleetwood Mac on them)

#84 9 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

Austin Powers, Big Buck Hunter, and The Rolling Stones, because I'm contrarian.

I don't think anyone believes you, because you own Metallica and Iron Man (and Tron and Spiderman are on your "want" list).

#85 9 years ago
    Quoted from littlecammi:

I don't like any songs by AC/DC or Metallica (and it wouldn't seem right to sub in something like Huey Lewis and the News or Fleetwood Mac on them)

Well, that explains a lot!

#86 9 years ago

My top three Sterns or the last to leave...

X-MEN LE
    ST LE
    Tron

The ones getting played the most currently...

Metallica
    ST LE
    T3

#87 9 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

I really like the flow and feel of Austin Powers too. It shocked me how good it was.

same here. for me, massively underrated.

not top 3, but not far away.

LOTR
    SM
    TSPP

honorable mentions ACDC, 24

#88 9 years ago

X-Men LE - took a long time to get the software on that level. Maybe the best layout out there, even though I can understand the complains about Wolverine.

AC/DC Premium/LE - one of the most simple layout in modern pinball history, but maybe the best (and best balanced) rulesheet ever.

Those two are really outstanding, all of the others have some minor or major weaknesses, I am not willing to ignore

Potential candidates for the third spot... Tron, SM - Mustang is going to be tested within the next two weeks...

Top 10... TSPP, LOTR, Metallica Premium/LE, Sopranos... maybe ST once it will get an update.

#89 9 years ago

1) Iron Man - it's rules are kind of a throwback to the system 11 days. It has the typical multi ball jackpots but it also has a couple jackpots that take a lot of work to get. (Shot after defeating Iron Monger & Do or Die). If you miss out, too bad, start over. Making that kind of a jackpot shot is a real rush because it doesn't happen every game. Reminds me of TAXI.

2) TRON - great sound, exciting rule set. I love getting everything going at once.

3) Spider-Man - great flow, a lot of available shots from each flipper. I give SM the edge over Star Trek which would be my #4 based upon Spider-Man's modes. They feel more varied then ST's current code.

#90 9 years ago

Spider-man: Ritchie and Sheets! Sweetness

LOTR: great theme and good layout

NBA: because F*@k you , that's why! (That's a favorite Mis quote of a movie). Anyone know the movie without Google?

#91 9 years ago

WPT because it's pretty much the only Stern I can afford being 23 and in college and all. It's really deep, almost to the point of being intimidating. I learn something new about it almost every game.

#92 9 years ago

Tron
    X-Men
    TSPP

#93 9 years ago

Subject to change but I'll go with:

ST
    IM
    Tron

#94 9 years ago

Ac/Dc
    LOTR
    Tspp
    I haven't played walking dead le

#96 9 years ago

MET - Flow rules and theme are just top notch. I really think this is Sterns best game they've ever produced.

Xmen PRO (not the LE) - Combos are just amazing in this game. The Cyclops Rogue combo is one of my favorite shots to do on a pin. It's a hard game but very rewarding.

TSPP - So many modes and such a well integrated theme. To me this game really trumps LOTR since it's both deep and fun.

#97 9 years ago

Xmen
    metallica
    AC/DC

#98 9 years ago

Bible
    Metallica LE
    STLE
    Honourable mention SM

#99 9 years ago

For me:

STLE - Very impressed with the overall package here. Soon to be in my collection.
    IM - When it gets going, there's nothing like it. Fast and furious. My 2nd Stern
    AC/DC Premium - Just an awesome pin. My first Stern. It broke the B/W stronghold on my collection.

#100 9 years ago
    Quoted from Nevus:

NBA: because F*@k you , that's why! (That's a favorite Mis quote of a movie). Anyone know the movie without Google?

I assume it's Alec Baldwin in Glengarry Glen Ross. That movie is easily in my top three of all time. Have you ever seen the SNL parody of that scene? So funny ...

There are 104 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-are-your-top-3-sterns-and-why/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.