(Topic ID: 218125)

What are your thoughts on the Spike II system?

By LoserKid_Pinball

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 566 posts
  • 99 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by PinMonk
  • Topic is favorited by 21 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Node9_Board_blown_transistors (resized).jpeg
20210121_104159 (resized).jpg
IMG_20201228_182653_BURST002 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
324E76F4-9581-44AE-9FDE-61ABED13DFE5 (resized).jpeg
spike (resized).jpg
SAM (resized).jpg
2018-08-03 08-51-03.JPG
Pinball Controller Task Split (resized).PNG
SBC (resized).PNG
lpkf2 (resized).PNG
lpfk (resized).PNG
515-0174-00 (resized).jpg
grommet (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #26 A report from an operator and a life cycle expectation. Posted by xTheBlackKnightx (5 years ago)

Post #215 Things to consider from a senior technician’s perspective. Posted by xTheBlackKnightx (5 years ago)

Post #262 Words of expierence and a warning. Posted by xTheBlackKnightx (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballplusmn.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#97 5 years ago

Ive posted on this before. As a tech I am refraining working on any Spike 1.or 2 systems for the time being. This includes issues such as a simple thing as a sticky flipper. I tried helping a friend update his software on a pinball and it caused a node board to fail . It was very aggravating to say the least. In the world of home pinball repair things can fail sometimes if you look at them the wrong way Its part of the business. With WPC, Whitestar, and all the other makers its easy for a tech to have redundancy and confidence to repair a new issue.
I just had a Space Station that I did a motor replacement on the station. A few days later the the game is completely dead. He is calling me as I was the last to work on the game. Anyone who works on pinballs knows this is not uncommon. In short it was a bad cmos ram on the cpu board., I replaced and he has been happy ever since. I didn't charge him for the labor. This happens quite often as its impossible to predict what will fail next on a pinball. The good news with older games they are generally inexpensive to repair at a pcb component level. The boards are through hole and easy to repair. Replacements are pretty reasonable if needed.
I cringe at the thought in the future of working on a GB with a bad flipper and getting a call a few days later that the game is dead. I know its nothing I did but the customer does not and assumes otherwise. How do I explain to the customer that he know needs to spend $800+ on a cpu board a week after I worked on it?
Currently its not worth the stress and aggravation for me to work on the newer spike systems.I want to maintain a good reputation with my customers. If in the future schematics are provided and the boards are sold or exchanged for a reasonable cost I may reconsider. But for now no thanks.

1 week later
#287 5 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

Those that were around during the 1980s for the earliest days is SS conversion should remember remember the parts shortfalls of boards once Bally/WMS moved forward to more advanced systems in 1985 and the games were abandoned. Earlier SS games sat in warehouses untouched for decades.
Those that experienced the shortfalls and parting out of WPC boardsets after WMS closed in the 2000s, experienced the same. Many games were stripped, as the boards were worth more than the games themselves.
It took an average of 10-15 years for replacement boards, and the designs for backwards engineering were available, although many boards today for certain systems still remain NLA, such as 6803 Bally. Hence, part of the time design factor of consideration beyond stress testing of components.
Best of fortune with SPIKE games, which are already moving quickly forward.
If Stern stops producing replacement boards which they already have for WWE and KISS (less than three years later), owners will have a 285 lb paperweights, as some boards are unrepairable even with those with proper SMT workstations and correct experience with microscopes. We are not talking replacing LED boards here. There have been no indications to my operator who operates 1400+ games that anything Stern offers in training classes will provide the necessary experience to repair these boards and they require much more experience, and Stern outsources production, they do not do such actions presently.
Our senior board repair techician with over 30+ years experience dealing with every type of board repair since 1976, cannot presently fix these node or master MPU SPIKE boards for reasons mentioned predominantly to lack of availability of schematics, and size of traces in the MPUs and certain ICs (some of which are not easily commercially available at cheap cost). He is not an "enthusiast".
Those that deny the danger are being short sighted of past pinball history and experience, and most were not around to see it. Relying on promises by manufacturers of the future is just as dangerous. George Gomez does not control the direction of the company's future he manages production and remains an engineer and designer, not an electronics techician. Those former choices are not in his hands, as they are controlled by others.
Good luck.

True, I remember being able to buy system 1 games all day long for 25 to 75 dollars non working. This was in the late 80,s before replacement boards came along.

#363 5 years ago

I uncrated a starwars pro today as my son is a big fan. The game had a bumper that was machine gunning constantly. I was surprised that the software would allow this to continue. On even system 3 Gottlieb pinballs from the 90,s if a sling or bumper was gapped too close it would shut off when a machine gunning scenario started.
I hope stern can address this in the future because a burnt coil and transistor on this new system could be a disaster.
I would also like to see plywood bottoms rather than artificial wood that is highly susceptible to moisture.
Overall happy but this will be my last nib Stern until documentation and theory of operation regarding nodeboards, CPU is provided.

#373 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Surely, there is a great counter-measure to this. It's called removing the lockdown bar, removing the glass, lifting the playfield and adjusting a switch. It requires zero dollars and 5 minutes of time.
A pinball machine is never going to be a toaster. Nobody should ever be shocked if a pinball game requires slight adjustments out of the box, it's been that way for 80 years or so.

I surely understand as I can do the adjustment. But many new people are entering the hobby and may not do this or this could develop on location .
Typical scenerio is a ball gets stuck. Kid walks away and bumper fires repeatedly until things heat up.
I'm not bashing stern just pointing out observations.

2 years later
#544 3 years ago

Does anyone know of a good sm iron or soldering station for these types of repiars?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 19.95
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 132.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 19.95
$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 34.99
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 30.25
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
Machine - For Sale
Corbin, KY
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballplusmn.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-are-your-thoughts-on-the-spike-ii-system?tu=pinballplusmn and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.