(Topic ID: 218125)

What are your thoughts on the Spike II system?

By LoserKid_Pinball

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 566 posts
  • 99 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by PinMonk
  • Topic is favorited by 21 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Node9_Board_blown_transistors (resized).jpeg
20210121_104159 (resized).jpg
IMG_20201228_182653_BURST002 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
324E76F4-9581-44AE-9FDE-61ABED13DFE5 (resized).jpeg
spike (resized).jpg
SAM (resized).jpg
2018-08-03 08-51-03.JPG
Pinball Controller Task Split (resized).PNG
SBC (resized).PNG
lpkf2 (resized).PNG
lpfk (resized).PNG
515-0174-00 (resized).jpg
grommet (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #26 A report from an operator and a life cycle expectation. Posted by xTheBlackKnightx (5 years ago)

Post #215 Things to consider from a senior technician’s perspective. Posted by xTheBlackKnightx (5 years ago)

Post #262 Words of expierence and a warning. Posted by xTheBlackKnightx (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider looprunner.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#468 3 years ago

Looking for help with an issue if any of you have ideas. My Deadpool randomly freezes at different stages. It could just be sitting there in attract mode and the screen will freeze, lights will shutdown, and you can no longer play the game. It happened yesterday while I was adjusting the settings. Sometimes it occurs during game play. The odd thing to note is that I could play for 2-3 days without issue and then it'll randomly occur 9-10 times in one day. I've checked every connection and replaced the SD card twice. I'm looking for suggestions before I replace the board. I'd hate to replace the CPU node board and have it not be the issue.

#470 3 years ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

Reseat the SD card. Did that I see. I had a processor board go out on SW with the same symptoms.

Yep, did that about 10 times. I'm thinking it is the processor as well. Just looking for ideas before we spend money on it.

#478 3 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Go to Stern's site and look up the Spike manual (under Support somewhere). There's LED's on that board for the power supply's status. Check to make sure those are all lit according to the manual when the issue crops up again.

Yep, did that last week and they are all showing fine. At first I thought it was power unit. I'll do it again just to be sure. Thanks.

#480 3 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Don't mean to derail the thread more - but you did this when it was messing up?

Yep, right after it locked up. Sorry to derail the thread. Figured someone in this group might know. I appreciate the help.

#484 3 years ago
Quoted from hocuslocus:

could be the power supply, could be the processor, could be a connection, could be an the SD card, could be something else.
I replaced the Power supply on TNA, because it kept freezing and resetting over and over (sometimes it would go days without issues). I checked the voltages, it was 5.25 one time and went to 4.80 another... not sure why it was fluctuating so bad, but it made it hard to pinpoint. Replaced it and haven't had an issue since.
Spooky and stern both use power supplies from "mean well", I went with the next size up. Cost me $40 bucks from mouser.

Interesting. Might be worth a try. Thanks!

#486 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

A new $15 SD card, reimaged is your cheapest entry point and most-likely culprit, given Stern's history. An RSP-500-48 replacement power supply for Spike is like $90+shipping.

I've tried two different SD cards outside of the original card. I had issues with both of them. That's a cheaper replacement than I expected.

#488 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Were they both class 10? What brand?</blockquot

Were they both class 10? What brand?

The first SanDisk was not. It was around $20. I believe the one in there now is PNY? I would have to check. If you have a particular brand to recommend I could try it again for sure.

#501 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Class 10 is important. If they were not, then they will not work reliably (or maybe at all?).
These are the ones I stocked up on at BF for $9.99:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sandisk-extreme-plus-32gb-sdhc-uhs-i-memory-card/3990822.p?skuId=3990822

Thanks, I will try it. I appreciate your help.

Based on this conversation I assume RSP-500-48 is an equal replacement for the 011-5003-00 power supply in the manual?

#503 3 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Yep.
You can find them for around $90.

Thanks

#515 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Yes, that's just Stern's part number. They can't even be bothered to update the picture in their manual, which is of the 300W power supply they abandoned. RSP-500-48 is the correct OEM number for it.

Thank you!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Machine - For Sale
Waxhaw, NC
$ 30.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pin Modster

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Denver, CO
$ 169.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Grand Rapids, MI
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 3,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 6,999.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider looprunner.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-are-your-thoughts-on-the-spike-ii-system?tu=looprunner and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.