(Topic ID: 218125)

What are your thoughts on the Spike II system?

By LoserKid_Pinball

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 566 posts
  • 99 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by PinMonk
  • Topic is favorited by 21 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Node9_Board_blown_transistors (resized).jpeg
20210121_104159 (resized).jpg
IMG_20201228_182653_BURST002 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
324E76F4-9581-44AE-9FDE-61ABED13DFE5 (resized).jpeg
spike (resized).jpg
SAM (resized).jpg
2018-08-03 08-51-03.JPG
Pinball Controller Task Split (resized).PNG
SBC (resized).PNG
lpkf2 (resized).PNG
lpfk (resized).PNG
515-0174-00 (resized).jpg
grommet (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #26 A report from an operator and a life cycle expectation. Posted by xTheBlackKnightx (5 years ago)

Post #215 Things to consider from a senior technician’s perspective. Posted by xTheBlackKnightx (5 years ago)

Post #262 Words of expierence and a warning. Posted by xTheBlackKnightx (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lermods.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#112 5 years ago

I though that shorts in spike games were dealt with internally. That is, a short occurs, the node board shuts down until the short is cleared. I’ve never had a short in a spike game I’ve owned (sw, Gb, maiden) and I do a lot of moddding.

1 week later
#252 5 years ago

I asked George Gomez at pintastic yesterday about schematics for spike so we can fix our games. He indicated they are coming along with tutorials and online training sessions. He seemed very appreciative that many of us like fixing as much as we like playing.

#295 5 years ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

I believe that Stern said that there is short protection built-in to the node board system just to ensure that component replacement would not be needed in case an led were to short out.

This is what I heard too. If a short is detected, the board shuts down. Once the short is cleared it comes back on. I don't think shorts are the issue, though. Im not an EE, but what exactly causes a node board to fail? Is it a power surge, weak components, corruption of files, etc?

2 years later
#437 3 years ago

Thanks for posting, some points are valid and I have my own concerns about the spike system related to ability to diagnose and fix, cost of repair parts and short warranty, but some claims aren’t so valid or are half truths.

For example, he claims the internet is awash with claims of failing spike components, more than other manufacturers. I’d like to see the data on that. The fact is that stern makes multiples of any other manufacturer so of course they will have more reported problems. The true data showing stern has a higher percentage of problems is what’s needed to support that claim. I have owned many games over the years and found spike games to be no less reliable.

He says jjp makes a higher quality game , but I’m not sure that is entirely true. It’s true jjp puts more into their games and some things are better (power supply, for example), but jjp games have many issues too, just look at the potc and woz threads.

Schematics are available, contrary to his claim, though maybe only partially.

Onboard diagnostics do need to be improved. Node board X not found is not helpful.
Warranty is too short, would be great to have something along the lines what CGC has.

Resale value of a new spike game vs a bw game is not relevant. Games still being produced will not climb in value compared to games that are becoming rarer, ridiculous point. Spike games have held their value, but supply is a factor.

Laptop parts cost vs pinball parts cost, not valid. Laptops components are produced by the millions, stern parts by the thousands. economies of scale needs to be considered. That said, it is concerning that node boards are not compatible across games and the cost of the node boards is pretty high, including the CPU.

Personally, I do think stern cares about issues with their games, just like any other manufacturer., and would take steps to correct any that were widespread...how could they not. They have good people working there, but they are running a business and need to do things that makes them money and allows them to grow. Some things do need to be improved.

#439 3 years ago
Quoted from branlon8:

I may have missed some key posts along the way, but my impression was that JJP failures were pretty much always with individual parts of the game such as the phone screen in DI or the trough switches in Wonka or of course all the talk about playfields. I don‘t recall reading about the central hardware system in a JJP game breaking down. It‘s, of course, just a pc, which could break down, but I‘m guessing a pc is more robust than Spike.

Woz light boards have had plenty of issues, but that’s now been addressed in newer games. But you are generally correct on central hardware electronics, pretty reliable. Stern too, they had some node issues on earlier games, more reliable now.

#441 3 years ago
Quoted from PinFever:

i do not think my failed GOT premium node or JP pro Cpu board that the Speakers are controlled from will have been reported but think about it , they sell more than any other pin company ,so of course more reported problems .
But Everything he said in that video seemed truthful to me and agree that Stern is Price Gouging and the product we now get is a Costco Homepin with a coin door. Next the Playfields will be plastic or Formica or if they can pull it off pressed cardboard !!
And the Warranty is funny and the cost to replace stuff not so funny.
i do not want these new Versions anymore which suck because When Jaws is released this next year i will have to Holdout and not buy Inferior Cheap game that will be a ticking time bomb on my Funds ' Also disabled my shakers from spike games / Stern Shaker Ads coming soon !

"" and would take steps to correct any that were widespread...how could they not. "" Been years and the Power supply has not been improved on but yet raised prices . Raise prices to fix stuff !!!! no reason My Buddies Stranger Things sounds like a vacuum cleaner every 4 to 5 minutes when the sheety fan comes on .. How much are power supplies really . had just bought a 850 Gold PSU for my new desktop for 80 dollars . Part of the Led Zep pro price increase could have covered that cost

To be perfectly honest, the fan noise does not bother me and I’d suspect it’s the same for many others. I would, however, like to see a beefier power supply.

I’m not convinced a shaker causes board issues. How many components have failed on Roadshow or Earthshaker specifically due to a shaker motor?

I’m not defending stern, hardly as I’m pretty averse to the spike system for reasons mentioned, just trying to understand what’s really an issue and what’s not. Price increases are likely happening because input prices are rising, but demand is also very strong.

#444 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Electronics in the backbox on B/W machines, not on the playfield where vibration is amplified like spike is. Also B/W boards use much more robust through-hole tech with little or no surface-mount tech. Spike is almost all SMD, which is not super strong.
I'm really surprised there's no hard disk-style anti-vibration grommets used for board mounting spike node boards. Pretty cheap and it would isolate at least the vibration issue out of contention.

That’s true, I was referring to things like eddy sensor or motor boards, but point noted. Agree on the grommets.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 30.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Palm Beach, FL
$ 30.25
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Machine - For Sale
Sadsburyville, PA
$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 7.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 55.00
Playfield - Protection
Tucson Pinball

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 25.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Grand Rapids, MI
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lermods.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-are-your-thoughts-on-the-spike-ii-system?tu=lermods and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.