(Topic ID: 218125)

What are your thoughts on the Spike II system?

By LoserKid_Pinball

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 566 posts
  • 99 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by PinMonk
  • Topic is favorited by 21 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Node9_Board_blown_transistors (resized).jpeg
20210121_104159 (resized).jpg
IMG_20201228_182653_BURST002 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
324E76F4-9581-44AE-9FDE-61ABED13DFE5 (resized).jpeg
spike (resized).jpg
SAM (resized).jpg
2018-08-03 08-51-03.JPG
Pinball Controller Task Split (resized).PNG
SBC (resized).PNG
lpkf2 (resized).PNG
lpfk (resized).PNG
515-0174-00 (resized).jpg
grommet (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #26 A report from an operator and a life cycle expectation. Posted by xTheBlackKnightx (5 years ago)

Post #215 Things to consider from a senior technician’s perspective. Posted by xTheBlackKnightx (5 years ago)

Post #262 Words of expierence and a warning. Posted by xTheBlackKnightx (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider d-gottlieb.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

Haven’t heard of it happening to anyone else. Not even sure what the problem is still actually but the game was just dead. Only thing that would happen ya power up was the 48v led indicator would come on. They did this is why they thought it was cpu. Will update if replacing that fixes it tomorrow.

Did you check the SD card?

#46 5 years ago

Aware of the shock transmitted to the playfield from the action of the game, I rubber mounted the two node boards that are under the playfield in SW.

2 weeks later
#70 5 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Tssk.
I would think the issue here is a premature failure, which can happen to any system (and apparently covered under warranty in your case, correct?) vs. a long term problem. Don't have the answer regarding that issue, and time will tell. Possible ESD, poor solder joints, etc. - happens to the best and most robust designs out there despite what the engineering standards call out.
Other have mentioned SMD: I've designed using SMD for decades with extremely rough vibration requirements. The low mass of the SMD parts really helps, but I use good parts, not cheap Chinese stuff. Sometimes SMD is easy to replace (i.e. a resistor), others...nope (i.e. a BGA). Of course, a node board could experience vibration issues if mounted under the playfield vs. in the backboard. Are the Stern nodes boards isolated from the PF with bushings or hard mounted?
You can can design anything to last decades...or maybe not that long, depending on what the accounts allow (apologies to the Pinsiders who are money crunchers). Luckily, I don't have that issue.
Hope the new board fixes the problem!

The node boards mounted to the underside of the playfield are mounted on hard plastic bushings. Vibration was my concern and apparently Stern's as well as they started zip tying components together to better withstand the vibration. I rubber mounted the playfield boards,

#72 5 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Hmmm... Might be time for a trip to Home Depot and get a rubber bushing assortment. Despite surface mount technology's benefits - the less vibe, the better on solder joints.
They even did that (bushings) with thru hole parts!
I would hope Stern (others, for that matter too) - did some sort of vibe testing on assembled boards. Not hard to perform. They could have easily made a DIY vibration platform real cheaply.

Yes. I used rubber isolators. Not too difficult.

#84 5 years ago
Quoted from spazzman90:

Just had a node board go out on a Star Wars. Diode broke (likely due to vibration) and looks like it fried a chip or 2. Stern says cough up $350. Ouch for a 10 month old game.

This is the problem.

#109 5 years ago

Attempting to link #star-wars-stern-le to this thread

#137 5 years ago

I can't think of anything that is anywhere near the price and has, in effect, no warranty.

#166 5 years ago

The market for Iron Maiden has been 50-50, according to people I know in the business and their distributors.

#238 5 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Taking a beating? What are you talking about? Stern isn't leaving anyone out to dry with the service and support. New pin buyers are being taken care of well beyond the warranty.

Warranty? Two months is not what I would consider to be a reasonable warranty on something that costs this much. What about the Pinsider that had to spend 350 bucks 10 months into ownership for a replacement node board? It should be at least a year in black and white, with an extended warranty as an option.

#243 5 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

D Gottlieb you are the 2nd person on Pinside who has reported paying for node boards within the first year of ownership. Countless other reports are not consistent with that, including my own with 4 Spike games purchased. Not calling you a liar. I am curious who this pinsider's distro is.

I have not had to obtain a node board yet. I was referring to a previous post that someone else had made.

#264 5 years ago

If Stern no longer produces parts and schematics are not available, then what would you do if you need a board? This is alarming, that it could be as little as three years time until obsolescence.

#266 5 years ago
Quoted from skink91:

And why would this scenario occur? Even if Stern somehow ‘magically’ disappears, if there is a market for it someone buys their IP and makes the boards. Just like every other industry.

So who is producing boards for the aforementioned games, WWE and KISS, if Stern is not any longer?

#269 5 years ago
Quoted from skink91:

If Stern wants/needs to print boards, they will send out and have them printed. Is someone ‘actually’ claiming they have this problem, or are you whipping yourselves into a frenzy over conjecture?

I am referring to post #262. He states that Stern has stopped production of boards for those games, or did I read it wrong?

#294 5 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Nope. LEDs are driven by SMD mosfets. Short an LED and that blows.

I believe that Stern said that there is short protection built-in to the node board system just to ensure that component replacement would not be needed in case an led were to short out.

#303 5 years ago

This is why you don't secure electronic hardware to a pinball playfield.

#312 5 years ago

It's not as if Stern is hurting for cash as the pinball market is taking off. Very puzzling that Stern would make decisions based on cost alone to make a quick buck in the short term when successful business models plan for for the longer term. The reasonable conclusion is planned obsolescence.

#322 5 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Hmmm.... Are the node boards isolated (vibration) from the PF?
So if the diode fails, does the regulator the spit out 48V instead of Vcc?

They aren't. That's why I went ahead and rubber mounted them.

#328 5 years ago

I used elastic isolation mounts specific to electronic components used in drones. They are designed for this. In addition, the cables connected to the board dampen out any lower frequency vibrations.

#330 5 years ago
Quoted from mcbPalisade:

I feel your mods could either help or hurt, flip of a coin.
If there are part leads that are hanging out then giving them mechanical support (silicon?) would help.

The lightweight nature of the parts susceptible to the lead fracture have vibration moments in tune with the shocks transmitted through the playfield during play. While the boards in my spike machine have the zip tie securement from the factory, I took an extra step that I feel will prevent any potential vibration damage to the other transistors and components.

#331 5 years ago

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06ZXT21DX/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00

They screw right into the holes left by the screws. Then I used some half inch long machine screws through the plastic standoffs.

#334 5 years ago

The components that concern me are the ones elevated off the board on leads, not the smds. The diode that has been identified as a possible trouble spot is next to a row of transistors and Stern's fix is to zip tie the diode to the nearest transistor. The diode has 2 leads while the transistor has 3 and has more ability to survive vibration. Placing silicone on the components is a problem because airflow is needed to keep them cool.

3 weeks later
#423 5 years ago

Agreed that the TNA has excellent sound compared to Stern pins. Love the bass at ball launch. Good to know that the amp setup helps.

Where is it available? The amp appears to be model #ZYDZ060 but Amazon doesn't have a new one.

#427 5 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Because it's a knock-off / counterfeit of Lepai, the famous Japanese audio brand. Amazon have been purging stuff like that recently.
The Lepai LP-168AH tends to be what they're copying / emulating. That's widely available, and of guaranteed quality. Buy that.
Edit: Maybe they're not Japanese. Forget what they are.

OK, just disconnect the factory subwoofer leads and hook everything to this?

#428 5 years ago

I see that the Lepai amp is for use with 8 ohm speakers. I just bought some Kicker 4 ohm cabinet speakers...

#430 5 years ago

While I had the backglass off doing an update to SWP, I noticed the the cpu heat sink to be rather warm to the touch. While I am sure the the operating temps are well within limits, my computer building geek experience took over and I installed a fan on the heat sink. MUCH cooler to the touch. This can't be bad. I ran the wires from the accessory plug and mounted the fan from the backbox cable tie bolts so the whole thing doesn't touch the cooler at all. PS- The fan is very quiet and inaudible with the glass on.

2018-08-03 08-51-03.JPG2018-08-03 08-51-03.JPG

3 weeks later
#433 5 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

My Lepai LP-168HA (used in Houdini) is rated for 2-8 ohms, per the Lepai manual.

Thanks, I just was going what little info I could find.

#434 5 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

My Lepai LP-168HA (used in Houdini) is rated for 2-8 ohms, per the Lepai manual.

So, yeah, you are correct, I don't know why I didn't see that before.

When connecting this unit to the machine, what do you do with the stock subwoofer out leads?

2 years later
#446 3 years ago

Add the grommets. I did early on.

#469 3 years ago

Reseat the SD card. Did that I see. I had a processor board go out on SW with the same symptoms.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Merrimack, NH
8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
St. Charles, IL
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 30.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

15,699 (OBO)
$ 12.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 80.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pin Modster

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 12.75
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Sadsburyville, PA
$ 969.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Mödley Crüe

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.00
Playfield - Other
Space Coast Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider d-gottlieb.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-are-your-thoughts-on-the-spike-ii-system?tu=d-gottlieb and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.