(Topic ID: 218125)

What are your thoughts on the Spike II system?

By LoserKid_Pinball

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 566 posts
  • 99 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by PinMonk
  • Topic is favorited by 21 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Node9_Board_blown_transistors (resized).jpeg
20210121_104159 (resized).jpg
IMG_20201228_182653_BURST002 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
324E76F4-9581-44AE-9FDE-61ABED13DFE5 (resized).jpeg
spike (resized).jpg
SAM (resized).jpg
2018-08-03 08-51-03.JPG
Pinball Controller Task Split (resized).PNG
SBC (resized).PNG
lpkf2 (resized).PNG
lpfk (resized).PNG
515-0174-00 (resized).jpg
grommet (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #26 A report from an operator and a life cycle expectation. Posted by xTheBlackKnightx (5 years ago)

Post #215 Things to consider from a senior technician’s perspective. Posted by xTheBlackKnightx (5 years ago)

Post #262 Words of expierence and a warning. Posted by xTheBlackKnightx (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider branlon8.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#28 5 years ago

I’ve been holding off getting a Stern game to a fair extent because I haven’t yet developed the confidence in their long term repairability.

I don’t have the impression Stern is doing much to assuage such concerns. I find no mention of node board availability or prices on their homepage. The online retailers in my area at least don’t seem to sell them.

The JJP concept of using a Linux PC with a dedicated driver board, multiple graphic cards and a flash drive seems to me to be the better strategy (even if a few of the parts are yesterdays technologies and not so easy to find).

I can imagine the time on the assembly line hooking up wires could be reduced significantly with a bus system which appears to be the spike strategy. For repairability, however, a plethora of wires seems the better way.

I’m particularly intrigued by GB Pro. This being Spike 1 and older makes me even more nervous.

1 week later
#59 5 years ago

well, I for one am going to hold strong and not buy a new Stern game until Pinside tells me it’s ok.

1 week later
#104 5 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

A lot of folks dropped out of repairing autos as another example

that's not a good comparison as automobile companies guarantee spare parts availably for 10+ years. It's usually much longer in practice. You also have a vast availability of dealer repair garages and independents. Pinball is nothing like this.

Quoted from wayout440:

Modern electronics is less and less a playground for amateurs as well.

No issue, but most electronic products cost nowhere near what a pinball game costs and when these other consumer electronic products do fail, it is usually time to step up to the next generation of products anyway. With pinball this is completely different.

#140 5 years ago
Quoted from hocuslocus:

Yeah, I finally purchased one of those magnifying glasses with the lights that folds down, man that thing is great.

I’m always on the lookout for new and useful tools. I have a great led lamp with a large magnifying glass, but what do mean with lights that fold down? - could you share a photo?

#213 5 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

Being "behind" in technology has its reasons, as part of the requirements are having to be able to fix what you own.

thanks for saying this because this the point that keeps going through my mind. To what extent should the repairability of a game be considered during it’s design even if it means some fancy features have to be omitted or done differently ? In my mind great innovation in design needs to include repairability as a key feature. With its prices, immobility and expected longevity, pinball shouldn’t be going in the direction of most other consumer electronic gadgets.

And in general the home pinball enthusiast needs a certain skill set to keep his or her games running. I think the easier a game is to diagnose and repair, the more pleasure the game will provide long term.

2 years later
#438 3 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

He says jjp makes a higher quality game , but I’m not sure that is entirely true. It’s true jjp puts more into their games and some things are better (power supply, for example), but jjp games have many issues too, just look at the potc and woz threads.

I may have missed some key posts along the way, but my impression was that JJP failures were pretty much always with individual parts of the game such as the phone screen in DI or the trough switches in Wonka or of course all the talk about playfields. I don‘t recall reading about the central hardware system in a JJP game breaking down. It‘s, of course, just a pc, which could break down, but I‘m guessing a pc is more robust than Spike.

#525 3 years ago

the hypothesis is that components (such as node boards) on the underside of the playfield will experience more shock/vibrations, etc., than those in the backbox. Seems reasonable to me, but sure, one could measure freqencies, amplitudes as a function of time, game status, etc. MIt might provide additional insight.

And any repair data is going to be anecdotal because only the manufacturer will have a full set, if at all. They have no need or motivation to share this. Therefore, insisting on being shown data is rather pointless. I don’t imagine distributors of pins will provide data either. Further up in this thread are comments of folks who I assume are operators or repair technicians regarding Spike 2‘s reliability. This is probably the best available source of data, but it will, of course, always be colored by their perceptions and individual experiences.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 55.00
Playfield - Protection
Tucson Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 10.95
Machine - For Sale
New Cumberland, PA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Richfield, MI
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

6,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Murrieta, CA
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 18.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider branlon8.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-are-your-thoughts-on-the-spike-ii-system?tu=branlon8 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.