(Topic ID: 218125)

What are your thoughts on the Spike II system?

By LoserKid_Pinball

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 566 posts
  • 99 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by PinMonk
  • Topic is favorited by 21 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Node9_Board_blown_transistors (resized).jpeg
20210121_104159 (resized).jpg
IMG_20201228_182653_BURST002 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
324E76F4-9581-44AE-9FDE-61ABED13DFE5 (resized).jpeg
spike (resized).jpg
SAM (resized).jpg
2018-08-03 08-51-03.JPG
Pinball Controller Task Split (resized).PNG
SBC (resized).PNG
lpkf2 (resized).PNG
lpfk (resized).PNG
515-0174-00 (resized).jpg
grommet (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #26 A report from an operator and a life cycle expectation. Posted by xTheBlackKnightx (5 years ago)

Post #215 Things to consider from a senior technician’s perspective. Posted by xTheBlackKnightx (5 years ago)

Post #262 Words of expierence and a warning. Posted by xTheBlackKnightx (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider YeOldPinPlayer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#83 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I have a huge issue with the design of the Spike system. The fact that a single flakey bulb, intermittent socket, or anything really in the light chain has the ability to screw so much up (pull power form flippers, blown node boards, etc...) shows how poorly this has been engineered.

There should be a programming solution to that. Spike could turn off the affected circuit and put a tech alert on the display.

#136 5 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

They aren’t under warranty? Who was your distributor? $350 for a board is ridiculous.

The warranty period for boards is two months, starting when the game is shipped to the distributor. The DMD boards is nine months. Nothing else is covered.

Interesting they cover a dmd even though the game doesn't have one and they don't cover the display that's in the machine. The Iron Maiden manual hasn't been updated either.

I notice the Iron Maiden manual specifically says "Installation of non-authorized accessories, lamps, LED’s, motors or other devices or modification of electro-mechanical devices may damage the system and will void your warranty."

Screenshot_20180624-190311.pngScreenshot_20180624-190311.png
#144 5 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

I haven’t heard of anyone paying for a node board within the first 12 months and even beyond in some cases.

Quoted from spazzman90:

Just had a node board go out on a Star Wars. Diode broke (likely due to vibration) and looks like it fried a chip or 2. Stern says cough up $350. Ouch for a 10 month old game.

#242 5 years ago
Quoted from mcbPalisade:

Another thing to keep in mind:
Remember that JJP Celeron motherboard I mentioned? You can't get one from JJP or Newegg. So what do you do if that fails?

You replace the motherboard/processor/memory with a modern, available one that will run the WOz Operating system (probably Linux) and program. That's the point of standardized computer parts. You don't have to change every piece of hardware when one piece fails. My netbook from 2011 will still run many flavors of Linux and if I needed to compile my own the information is available.

1 week later
#384 5 years ago
Quoted from mcbPalisade:

...the graphics (like WOZ) and sound can get pretty CPU intensive.

Playing movie clips (even custom designed clips) isn't CPU intensive by today's standards. Think about the graphics on a modern video game with multiple moving elements, all generating their own shadows and other elements. Playing a few dozen frames of a movie takes a fraction of the CPU power, even if you're overlaying other data on top of it.
#lexy is the most CPU intensive pinball I can think of.

#386 5 years ago
Quoted from Bendit:

Today's standard = graphics processing load is handed to the GPU. If there's no GPU, you bet your a$$ the main CPU would be taxed, big time.

Integrated graphics are still common. My 10+ year old CPU isn't taxed at all playing movies, even while doing other things at the same time. Neither are modern CPUs. The computing power available far exceeds the requirements.

2 years later
#465 3 years ago
Quoted from alexanr1:

What I don’t see being discussed is that Surface mount and boards being mounted all over the playfield introduces a lot of mechanical vibrations that the board

That is literally one of the subjects of this discussion.

Quoted from alexanr1:

mechanical vibrations that the board may not be engineered to the tolerance levels needed to withstand this.

What is the failure rate? Things break, and for various reasons. If you’re claiming the failure rate is excessive and/or it’s due to an engineering design flaw please share your data. Was a more robust design considered and rejected due to other considerations? We don’t know.

Quoted from alexanr1:

These machines are designed and marketed predominantly for home use,

What do you mean by “predominantly”? Please share your data supporting that claim.

#500 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Class 10 is important. If they were not, then they will not work reliably (or maybe at all?).

Given that Spike 2 began in 2016 and the UHS-III standard wasn’t released until 2017 I think it’s unlikely a class 10 card is required or beneficial. The UHS-II maximum speed was only 312 MB/s, meaning a class 4 card would be fine.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/SD_card

Do we know what SD host controller the spike 2 boards use? Are they all the same or have the controllers changed as the tech has evolved?

#510 3 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

The primary argument here is about time. Electronics fail faster with more shock and vibration. This is common knowledge. These boards will fail.

What exactly are you claiming as it relates to Spike? How much time to failure compared with other applications? Show your data supporting Spike has more shock and vibration.

You’re making such a vague statement anyone can make it fit their situation. Reminds me of an astrologer.

#517 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Spike 2 debuted in 2017 with Aerosmith.

Incorrect. Batman ‘66 was the first and it was in 2016.

#524 3 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Shock 100% contributes to and speeds up electronics failure. You seriously need data to prove this?

No one claimed otherwise. https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/strawman

Again, state your claim as it relates to Spike II. Are you claiming it has more shock, a different kind of shock, a higher failure rate, a faster failure rate...? And show your data to back up your claims.

If you provide no evidence you’re dismissed with no evidence and no one learns anything. Might as well go shout at the clouds.

2 weeks later
#545 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballplusMN:

Does anyone know of a good sm iron or soldering station for these types of repiars?

terryb covers a bit about hot air stations and SM components in his soldering guide: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/terrybs-soldering-guide-part-1

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 10.95
$ 114.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

8,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Potomac, MD
Machine - For Sale
New Cumberland, PA
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

14,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 12.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.95
Playfield - Plastics
Hookedonpinball.com

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Fort Wayne, IN
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 22.50
$ 169.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 27.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider YeOldPinPlayer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-are-your-thoughts-on-the-spike-ii-system?tu=YeOldPinPlayer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.