(Topic ID: 218125)

What are your thoughts on the Spike II system?

By LoserKid_Pinball

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 566 posts
  • 99 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by PinMonk
  • Topic is favorited by 21 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Node9_Board_blown_transistors (resized).jpeg
20210121_104159 (resized).jpg
IMG_20201228_182653_BURST002 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
324E76F4-9581-44AE-9FDE-61ABED13DFE5 (resized).jpeg
spike (resized).jpg
SAM (resized).jpg
2018-08-03 08-51-03.JPG
Pinball Controller Task Split (resized).PNG
SBC (resized).PNG
lpkf2 (resized).PNG
lpfk (resized).PNG
515-0174-00 (resized).jpg
grommet (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #26 A report from an operator and a life cycle expectation. Posted by xTheBlackKnightx (5 years ago)

Post #215 Things to consider from a senior technician’s perspective. Posted by xTheBlackKnightx (5 years ago)

Post #262 Words of expierence and a warning. Posted by xTheBlackKnightx (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Wolfmarsh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#103 5 years ago

I have enough confidence in stern and my ability to repair smd that I have no problem buying a Spike game and just bought GotG pro.

#117 5 years ago
Quoted from hocuslocus:

What happens when your warranty expires?
I don't think they do SMD repair at Stern (I could be wrong).

Then I'll figure it out. Same as I would figure it out with any of our cars, or appliances, or anything really.

I'll admit I have a lot of experience with surface mount, and have the proper tools to diagnose and repair boards like the stern node boards, so that doesn't frighten me. Not having their help (schematics, etc..) makes it more difficult, but if I'm looking at a high dollar replacement I'm going to try a repair first.

#120 5 years ago
Quoted from hocuslocus:

When they release the schematics, then there is hope that people will be able to do repairs.

I do know that the schematics are coming, which will make it much easier. Surface mount isn't that bad.

All that aside, I put my money where my mouth is because Stern does make the best pinball machines out there today, IMO. Spike 2 included.

#130 5 years ago

On Spike II games Node 8 is interchangeable on any game, as is Node 9. The 8/9 boards with letters after them like 8a, 8b, are game specific boards.

#162 5 years ago

The magnifiers like wayout and mbwalker reference are a must, at least for me.

#168 5 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

$3K-$6K depending on model. ouch
definitely not geared for home use

You can get a decent rig on ebay for $200 - $400 depending on features. The better ones have a small screen on them and HDMI out so you can also hook them up to any monitor/tv you want.

If you aren't going to use a display screen, you definitely want to stick to at least a stereoscopic microscope, in my opinion.

#193 5 years ago

I've gotten to tinker around with Spike II over the past couple of days and I still think it's a fantastic system. With the schematics coming and some more explanation of the theory of operation, I think people will change their minds about it.

The sheer number of games using Spike II speaks volumes. There is quality engineering in what Stern have produced here.

#200 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

am I crazy? or did at one time Stern state that they would be offering tech classes to OPs on the new system?

Never heard that, but that would be neat, even if it were recorded youtube videos explaining things.

This is a bit like when telco guys were asked to start working on DSL lines, and their whole reliable concept of "if there's a ringtone it works" went out the window. They were required to learn new tools and techniques to be able to continue the pace with the constantly changing technology.

Pinball in general has been behind the technological curve significantly for the past decade or two, but Spike II appears to be a really good leap forward.

#211 5 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I agree with your entire post but not sure I understand the last part of the above sentence. How is it a leap forward? What does Spike II do better than SAM? Pardon my ignorance on the question, the difference in specs is above my technical grade so all I see are the extra costs in replacing them when they fail (which at least seems to be more frequently than on SAM).

Just a couple of the reasons why I personally feel like it's a leap forward from SAM:

- They now use a bus for communication between nodes, it's what makes the system more modular. If some new technology or mech comes out, they aren't constrained to flipping transistors on and off or scanning a switch matrix, they can use their existing CPU hardware and node boards and just introduce a new type of node board. It doesn't require a re-release of the core hardware to do that. Even if Stern decided to upgrade to a more powerful CPU (Node 0), none of the other nodes have to change. Conversely, if a common node design like Node 8 gets updated, prior games that use Node 8 could potentially use the upgraded node. The bus protocol provides a nice layer of separation between devices.

- The node boards themselves have some advanced features on them. You can tell that even though all the features on the node boards may not be exposed or known about yet, the ones I've seen are pretty good. For example, the node boards have overcurrent detection and protection on them, and are able to smartly disable themselves as a line of defense. I think as we learn more about the system and Stern starts exposing that data through the display and error messages, we will really appreciate some of those features being born into the hardware.

I think as Spike II ages and platform goodies are taken more advantage of, it will be known as a really solid, long-term system.

Buying a NIB game for me is a once a decade thing probably, and I saved a while to buy GotG Pro. I wouldn't have risked that kind of money if I thought there was any chance of me ending up with a brick in a few years. Just my 2 cents.

#245 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

The product was made to be platform agnostic. If it becomes a problem, JJP (or in another life.. someone else) can rework the kernel drivers and recompile if needed.

Luckily the security dongle JJP uses is easily hackable.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#255 5 years ago
Quoted from mario_1_up:

well I just put my new node board in and looks like I will have to order 4 new light board. And the best part is I have no idea what caused this failure. I really fucking hate this system!

Did your node board have the secured diode fix?

When that diode fails, it can send high voltage down to the light boards.

#325 5 years ago

I don't think it was the solder breaking in these instances. The actual leg on the package breaks from what I understand.

I would also be cautious using rubber to try and dampen the vibration. Because of the type of vibration this is, rubber could actually amplify it.

#327 5 years ago
Quoted from Bendit:

Wha? Could you elaborate?

I don't really have any information to back that up with regards to Spike II. Just from my own past experience, depending on a lot of factors, certain types of lower frequency forced vibration can actually be amplified by a rubber mount. I would guess the vibrations that the diode are experiencing are not high frequency vibrations.

Without spending too long on google:

https://earglobal.com/media/9885/basicsvibrationisolationelastomericmaterials.pdf

"Isolation mounts reduce the transmission of energy from one body to another by providing a resilient connection between them. Selecting an improper mount for an application, however, can actually make the problem worse. The incorrect mount may reduce the high frequency vibration, but resonant conditions at lower frequencies can actually amplify the induced vibration. During an impact, the mount deflects and returns some of the energy by rebounding. Preventing this energy return can extend product life"

My point being, I would follow the Stern service bulletin exactly to prevent the diode from breaking, and not try to get creative beyond that.

#387 5 years ago
Quoted from Bendit:

Pinball machines (so far) do not have to render anything, it's all pre-recorded clips.

I don't think this is correct.

#413 5 years ago

Have any of the other current manufacturers posted schematics of their hardware?

2 years later
#499 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I'm quoting mouser/digikey/jameco numbers. The small TNA aux power supply is cheap. The main power supply in Spooky machines is a SE-600-48 is not. It's about $80-$90. In the last post, I was thinking about the American Pinball power supply which was close to $200 before they changed it for a no-name cheap one.
Spike power supply RSP-500-48 is almost a hundred bucks.

The SE line from Meanwell is one of their economy lines.

The RSP line is a decent upgrade from the SE.

#502 3 years ago
Quoted from Looprunner:

Based on this conversation I assume RSP-500-48 is an equal replacement for the 011-5003-00 power supply in the manual?

Yep.

You can find them for around $90.

#523 3 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Consumers will suffer, primarily because they will not release schematics, something every other pin company does. If we could repair spike 2 boards (which will fail, whether you like it or not), I'd be content.

They have released schematics, and there are those that can repair them already. Are you content?

#537 3 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

My point was and always will be that the components will eventually fail and that Stern should provide detailed schematics. If they have, like someone suggested, is love to see them.

https://sternpinball.com/support/

Right here.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Lighting - Other
The MOD Couple

$ 24.95
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 29.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Corbin, KY
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Wolfmarsh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-are-your-thoughts-on-the-spike-ii-system?tu=Wolfmarsh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.