(Topic ID: 218125)

What are your thoughts on the Spike II system?

By LoserKid_Pinball

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 566 posts
  • 99 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by PinMonk
  • Topic is favorited by 21 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Node9_Board_blown_transistors (resized).jpeg
20210121_104159 (resized).jpg
IMG_20201228_182653_BURST002 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
324E76F4-9581-44AE-9FDE-61ABED13DFE5 (resized).jpeg
spike (resized).jpg
SAM (resized).jpg
2018-08-03 08-51-03.JPG
Pinball Controller Task Split (resized).PNG
SBC (resized).PNG
lpkf2 (resized).PNG
lpfk (resized).PNG
515-0174-00 (resized).jpg
grommet (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #26 A report from an operator and a life cycle expectation. Posted by xTheBlackKnightx (5 years ago)

Post #215 Things to consider from a senior technician’s perspective. Posted by xTheBlackKnightx (5 years ago)

Post #262 Words of expierence and a warning. Posted by xTheBlackKnightx (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider JoshODBrown.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#416 5 years ago

I noticed this with my Star Wars about a month ago and thought it was a problem with the CPU board. The sound from the cabinet speaker on the bottom of the game was slightly distorted compared to the audio coming from the backbox speakers. We ran the audio to a different speaker to verify that it wasn't just a case of crappy stock speaker, but the distortion was still there. When we routed the backbox sound to the cabinet speaker it was crisp and clear, so no issues with the speakers. I was sent a replacement CPU board on warranty and swapped it out, but the distorted sound problem still persisted. I ended up going back to a really early version of the code (0.91) and the distortion was gone!! I then upgraded back to 1.03 and as I expected the sound problem returned.

We verified with another collector who tested his Star Wars and he also had the distortion from the bottom cabinet speaker. It's not really noticeable standing up playing normally, but if you crouch down to the bottom of the game and listen to the music and callouts, you can tell its fuzzy. I had another person check their Batman 66, Star Wars, and Aerosmith and they all had similar distortion coming from the bottom cabinet speaker. I think when Stern redid the plumbing on the Spike II sound system earlier this year with the ability to adjust speaker bass/treble independently, they may have inadvertently messed something up here.

I think they are mixing the Stereo sound to mono for the cabinet speaker, but they are not applying Pan Law when they do this (reduce each channel gain by -3dB before mixing to mono) so the audio is ending up distorted or clipping.

I'm curious if anyone else here has noticed this. I did mention this on the Star Wars thread, but it got missed in the sea of posts about hyper loops and escape gates not working, or was written off as a speaker issue by folks who didn't fully read my posts on the issue.

As far as I am aware, this could potentially be an issue on all Spike II games that have the underlying system updates for the audio adjustments from around the Feb-April 2018 time frame.

Edit: Also, I have emailed Stern about this observation a week ago, but hadn't gotten any sort of confirmation or response they have read and understood it.

#418 5 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

Did you send it to their "bugs" email address? I've read quite a few posts saying that they go through those and take pretty good notes.

I sent to the "software" address and it didn't bounce back, but it appears that the proper one to send to is "bug.report", so I have just resent it and we'll see what happens.

#419 5 years ago

The bug report folks responded right away and they are aware of the issue and currently investigating.

2 weeks later
#425 5 years ago

Just an update, but Stern has started releasing code updates that fix the sound issue on a few Spike II games in the last week. Star Wars sounds good again on my end with 1.05 code.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Machine - For Sale
Daytona Beach, FL
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

$ 144.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple

$ 34.99
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

17,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Carmel Hamlet, NY
$ 18.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider JoshODBrown.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-are-your-thoughts-on-the-spike-ii-system?tu=JoshODBrown and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.