(Topic ID: 218125)

What are your thoughts on the Spike II system?

By LoserKid_Pinball

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 566 posts
  • 99 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by PinMonk
  • Topic is favorited by 21 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Node9_Board_blown_transistors (resized).jpeg
20210121_104159 (resized).jpg
IMG_20201228_182653_BURST002 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
324E76F4-9581-44AE-9FDE-61ABED13DFE5 (resized).jpeg
spike (resized).jpg
SAM (resized).jpg
2018-08-03 08-51-03.JPG
Pinball Controller Task Split (resized).PNG
SBC (resized).PNG
lpkf2 (resized).PNG
lpfk (resized).PNG
515-0174-00 (resized).jpg
grommet (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #26 A report from an operator and a life cycle expectation. Posted by xTheBlackKnightx (5 years ago)

Post #215 Things to consider from a senior technician’s perspective. Posted by xTheBlackKnightx (5 years ago)

Post #262 Words of expierence and a warning. Posted by xTheBlackKnightx (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Joe_Blasi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#335 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

SEE:Lack of schematics for spike node boards.

and the lack of full restore images / firmware files.

#375 5 years ago
Quoted from hocuslocus:

Your right, and I guess even if the components are cheaper in the end there are a crap ton more of them being used in a smaller area.
But 1k for a cpu board? I've built several PC's for cheaper then that with higher specs. Just wish they did something that was interchangeable, with the mainstream.
I was able used a 2017 parts on my RFM/SWE1 build. Mainly because I wanted to use a smaller form factor mobo to use the original P2k 2000 case.
Ran into a lot of compatibility issues though, since nucore was built on ubuntu 10.1 or something like. think I was able to get away with using ubuntu 15.10, while keeping all the original libs compatible with that version. Lot of fun, learned a lot about Linux.
Think regardless of what they do there is only so many years of software compatibility, unless they update the build with each release.
it's the same reason why a lot of apps stop working after a new IOS release.

that's basically what half the posts on internet forums are. I appreciate when people correct me, it all helps me understand the different viewpoints and aspects of the topic on hand. Then you have the people who get super defensive, and won't hear anything else regardless of how illogical their viewpoint may seem. Think we are all guilty of this to some extent though.

well they should gave root passwords / sudo to logged in user. Now with an old linux distro will get more hardware compatibility with out really needing to do a lot more.

#407 5 years ago
Quoted from gstellenberg:

We don't really suggest any particular processing element over any other. Every pinball manufacturer has different requirements, and the P3-ROC works with any processing element that can master the USB bus. Machines with our boards use processing elements ranging from R-Pis (custom machines with low processing needs) to new Intel motherboards with separate NVidia video cards (P3) and everything in between (Up boards, Intel NUCs, etc). CPU/GPU power, memory size, and cost can scale with the needs of a particular machine.
- Gerry
https://www.multimorphic.com

and with Intel you have AMD to use as well.

#409 5 years ago
Quoted from mcbPalisade:

I don't think the processor is the issue per se, it is the chipset

unless you really cut the kernel down then switching from intel to amd is easy. On linux most USB chipsets are in the basic OS. On windows you may need chipset drives.

Moving Linux vm's from amd / intel or intel / amd is not that big of an issue. On Real hardware nicknames may change / may need to clear out some U-dev stuff. on the server side with fixed ip's. I have Linux on a USB HDD that boots on lot's of differnt systems with it finding wifi nics / enet nicks with no really change to config files needed.

2 years later
#445 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Electronics in the backbox on B/W machines, not on the playfield where vibration is amplified like spike is. Also B/W boards use much more robust through-hole tech with little or no surface-mount tech. Spike is almost all SMD, which is not super strong.
I'm really surprised there's no hard disk-style anti-vibration grommets used for board mounting spike node boards. Pretty cheap and it would isolate at least the vibration issue out of contention.

also the way they macgyvered in the caps on to the power in jacks on the nodes boards seems like we cost cut to much on them. also seeing that as an fix for the shaker motor also seems like they have power draw issues in the system.

3 weeks later
#539 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballwil:

I'am 43 years in the pinball hobby, repaired almost every brand, collected/owned hundred+ pinball machines. Building 3 machine's myself.
And now for the first time bought a Stern spike 2 (JP)
Always was very sceptic about spike because I had a highway FT with a bricked node board (my wife fixed it).
Now with Spike 2 i took the gamble because
Spike is a few years on the market now.
It like it a lot and a spare node cost only 178 dollar if I can't repair it. So 200 buck for a 8k machine isn't a big deal. Cpu is 1300,thats very steep. Maybe they comes cheaper in the future.
System looks mutch robust than I thought.
A old tech like myself can't fix smd so my brain has some resistance for smd pinball machines hahaha. I'am happy with my Stern JP, glad to have it.

Cpu is 1300??? when you get an P-ROC and use an full pc (with more ram / storage / CPU then spike) for the same price or less.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 9.95
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore

5,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Raleigh, NC
$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 18.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 144.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Joe_Blasi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-are-your-thoughts-on-the-spike-ii-system?tu=Joe_Blasi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.