What are your thoughts on the Spike II system?

(Topic ID: 218125)

What are your thoughts on the Spike II system?

By LoserKid3

46 days ago

Topic Stats

• 414 posts
  • 80 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by mcbPalisade
  • Topic is favorited by 18 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 17 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Pinball Controller Task Split (resized).PNG
SBC (resized).PNG
lpkf2 (resized).PNG
lpfk (resized).PNG
515-0174-00 (resized).jpg
grommet (resized).png
20180702_192610 (resized).jpg
PP4_06_CPU_800x600 (resized).jpg
WOZ_CPU (resized).PNG
scared (resized).jpg
Microchip Details (resized).jpg
eScope (resized).PNG
resistors-on-match-head (resized).jpg
images1 (resized).jpg
images (resized).jpg
51t+8VJEz5L._SL1040_ (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 415 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 9.
#401 3 days ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Had no idea you were involved with AP, too. Interesting.

We are running Linux like some other companies, and we worked with Jimmy who has created a very trimmed down Linux OS. I also gave hime a few other things to do for us, since we are thinly staffed and it was areas where he has expertise. To some degree we have partnered with both him and spooky around things like code updating since there is no reason for things like that for us all to re-invent the wheel. In fact we are testing out a few enhancements to that, and owners of Houdini, TNA, and ACNC will all benefit.

#402 3 days ago

Yes, so lets be clear. As far as everything at AP that is awesome about the game, Josh is the man. As far as the boring OS level crap, that's me.

#403 3 days ago
Quoted from Compy:

As one of the system architects at Multimorphic, and the primary system architect at Valley-Dynamo, Spooky, Circus Maximus Games and primary OS guy at American Pinball, we all have slightly different requirements depending on the game implementation.

What's the deal with the screen tearing on Houdini? Can't you lock the video updates to vblank to eliminate it? It's most noticeable when the curtains open and close, and it's relatively minor, but it drives me crazy because it should be easy to fix.

#404 3 days ago
Quoted from vireland:

What's the deal with the screen tearing on Houdini? Can't you lock the video updates to vblank to eliminate it? It's most noticeable when the curtains open and close, and it's relatively minor, but it drives me crazy because it should be easy to fix.

Hmm, I'll look into it! Thank you for bringing it to my attention!

#405 3 days ago

Slightly off subject, but this is the type of info I like to see about technology families. A "Good Until" date.

Nice processor, think that P3ROC suggests this one.

SBC (resized).PNG
#406 3 days ago
Quoted from mcbPalisade:

think that P3ROC suggests this one.

We don't really suggest any particular processing element over any other. Every pinball manufacturer has different requirements, and the P3-ROC works with any processing element that can master the USB bus. Machines with our boards use processing elements ranging from R-Pis (custom machines with low processing needs) to new Intel motherboards with separate NVidia video cards (P3) and everything in between (Up boards, Intel NUCs, etc). CPU/GPU power, memory size, and cost can scale with the needs of a particular machine.

- Gerry
https://www.multimorphic.com

#407 3 days ago
Quoted from gstellenberg:

We don't really suggest any particular processing element over any other. Every pinball manufacturer has different requirements, and the P3-ROC works with any processing element that can master the USB bus. Machines with our boards use processing elements ranging from R-Pis (custom machines with low processing needs) to new Intel motherboards with separate NVidia video cards (P3) and everything in between (Up boards, Intel NUCs, etc). CPU/GPU power, memory size, and cost can scale with the needs of a particular machine.
- Gerry
https://www.multimorphic.com

and with Intel you have AMD to use as well.

#408 3 days ago
Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

and with Intel you have AMD to use as well.

I don't think the processor is the issue per se, it is the chipset

#409 3 days ago
Quoted from mcbPalisade:

I don't think the processor is the issue per se, it is the chipset

unless you really cut the kernel down then switching from intel to amd is easy. On linux most USB chipsets are in the basic OS. On windows you may need chipset drives.

Moving Linux vm's from amd / intel or intel / amd is not that big of an issue. On Real hardware nicknames may change / may need to clear out some U-dev stuff. on the server side with fixed ip's. I have Linux on a USB HDD that boots on lot's of differnt systems with it finding wifi nics / enet nicks with no really change to config files needed.

#410 3 days ago
Quoted from gstellenberg:

We don't really suggest any particular processing element over any other.

Since your abstraction layer is USB - of course. Port a USB driver to VAX/VMS and use that.

My point is for the other things that comprise a pinball machine the user community needs products with legs. Ones that can be around for as long as these things live which appears to be Methuselah's age ( - :

Did find this picture today which talks about a logical division of tasks. I'm talking about the Media Controller (right/red) part:

Pinball Controller Task Split (resized).PNG
#411 3 days ago
Quoted from Compy:

Hmm, I'll look into it! Thank you for bringing it to my attention!

While you're at it, I *think* this is more Rosh's department, but the scroll rate on the credits in attract mode has a similar problem, but I think it's less about not using vblank and more about using a scroll speed that doesn't take into account the refresh rate of the monitor. When it's scrolling, you can see it stutter quickly about every 1/3 of the screen it moves up. Adjusting the scroll speed will fix this.

#412 2 days ago
Quoted from mcbPalisade:

Since your abstraction layer is USB - of course. Port a USB driver to VAX/VMS and use that.
My point is for the other things that comprise a pinball machine the user community needs products with legs. Ones that can be around for as long as these things live which appears to be Methuselah's age ( - :
Did find this picture today which talks about a logical division of tasks. I'm talking about the Media Controller (right/red) part:

When running Mission Pinball, you will get two windows when you launch "mpf both". The game engine runs the code and at least used to display the log file in real time. The media controller window is your "display" and shows the scores and whatever you have set up on the screen. The media controller also plays sounds, but I haven't got that far in my game yet.

#413 2 days ago

Have any of the other current manufacturers posted schematics of their hardware?

#414 2 days ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Have any of the other current manufacturers posted schematics of their hardware?

JJP does, I don’t know about the others. It sounds like P3-ROC is a fairly commonly utilized 3rd party platform by others.

#415 2 days ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Trick answer, but CGC does for MMr & RFMr

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 149.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Decals
Top-Notch Target Shields
Pinball Machine
Music City Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 24.25
Lighting - Other
The MOD Couple
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 24.95
$ 16.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 12.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Pinball Machine
Music City Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
5,000 (OBO)
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 27.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Chrome Candy
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Thomas Township, MI
Pinball Machine
Music City Pinball
There are 415 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 9.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside