(Topic ID: 218125)

What are your thoughts on the Spike II system?

By LoserKid_Pinball

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 566 posts
  • 99 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by PinMonk
  • Topic is favorited by 21 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Node9_Board_blown_transistors (resized).jpeg
20210121_104159 (resized).jpg
IMG_20201228_182653_BURST002 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
324E76F4-9581-44AE-9FDE-61ABED13DFE5 (resized).jpeg
spike (resized).jpg
SAM (resized).jpg
2018-08-03 08-51-03.JPG
Pinball Controller Task Split (resized).PNG
SBC (resized).PNG
lpkf2 (resized).PNG
lpfk (resized).PNG
515-0174-00 (resized).jpg
grommet (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 566 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 12.
#551 3 years ago

Is there a difference in the Spike 2 node board 520-7017-72 being sold at Pinball Life (in stock) and Marcos (out of stock)? Same part number, but $189 vs $120. Are there different versions currently being sold?

#552 3 years ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

If you have modern leds of GOOD QUALITY they do 50 000hrs at 80%
They should never burn out on a home use machine.

Oh crap, I better dial back my JP LED's right away; no way Stern actually bought quality LED's there

#553 3 years ago
Quoted from DruTheFu:

Is there a difference in the Spike 2 node board 520-7017-72 being sold at Pinball Life (in stock) and Marcos (out of stock)? Same part number, but $189 vs $120. Are there different versions currently being sold?

The $120 is not in stock; likely old pricing that will be adjusted when restocked. $179-$189 is the going rate for these boards.

#554 3 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

Oh crap, I better dial back my JP LED's right away; no way Stern actually bought quality LED's there

Not sure how hard they drive them either. FUD maybe. but I feel better dialing back the brightness. specially the ones on the CPU board.

#555 3 years ago

They are smd. I’ve never seen one fail unless something foreign physically damages it.

#556 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

They are smd. I’ve never seen one fail unless something foreign physically damages it.

The one I repaired appeared to be a manufacturing defect - the solder job was bad. Hard to see because they are so tiny, but the solder around the LED was offset to the side, and kind of just hanging there. Even the way it was, it did last around 4 years from manufacture.

IMG_20201228_182653_BURST002 (resized).jpgIMG_20201228_182653_BURST002 (resized).jpg
#557 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

They will fail over time. I have some 5050 beads going bad that have run for 4~5 years 24/7 which is close to the 50k hour rating most 5050 LED beads have. Power supply is still clean and right at 12v.
20210121_104159 (resized).jpg20210121_104159 (resized).jpg
Also keep in mind when the datasheet says 50k hours. That is number of running hours at max load until it dims below 70% of the original brightness. So if stern drives the LEDs at the maximum expect five years of runtime life before the 5050 beads start to dim out on the CPU board and other places that are always on. Dial back the GI LED in the head at the least. Replace the $1k CPU board because some 5050 led beads burned out would suck.

#558 3 years ago

Didn’t they update prices and CPUs are now $350?

Also not hard to just had a LED strip back there if you really had those lights go out at some point.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#559 3 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

I have some 5050 beads going bad that have run for 4~5 years 24/7 which is close to the 50k hour rating most 5050 LED beads have.

That would be about 5000 years in my house with the machines only on when in use.

#560 3 years ago

Has there been any updates on diagnosing a short within a Spike system? It looks like my board did not detect a short and shut down in time before any damage was done. Left manga-sling locked on, emitting smoke and burnt smell. Many GI lights also went dark.

This is from my GB Premium (original NIB owner, October 2016), Node 9 board.
Node9_Board_blown_transistors (resized).jpegNode9_Board_blown_transistors (resized).jpeg

If anyone can lend some advice (thank you to all that already have!), I have a troubleshooting side thread:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ghostbusters-premium-9-node-not-found-was-the-beginning#post-6090607

#561 3 years ago
Quoted from DruTheFu:

Has there been any updates on diagnosing a short within a Spike system? It looks like my board did not detect a short and shut down in time before any damage was done. Left manga-sling locked on, emitting smoke and burnt smell. Many GI lights also went dark.
This is from my GB Premium (original NIB owner, October 2016), Node 9 board.
[quoted image]
If anyone can lend some advice (thank you to all that already have!), I have a troubleshooting side thread:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ghostbusters-premium-9-node-not-found-was-the-beginning#post-6090607

Sounds like a blown transistor (fixable if you can solder) and/or a blown coil (need a new sling coil). Do you have a multimeter?

#562 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Sounds like a blown transistor (fixable if you can solder) and/or a blown coil (need a new sling coil). Do you have a multimeter?

Don't trust myself with board circuitry soldering until I can get some practice on some already unusable stuff. I have a replacement board on order.

New magnet coil on order too.

I have a Fluke multi--meter, going to start tracing wires for continuity with hopes to find any short, or at least get closer. Then on to checking light sockets and bulbs. I hope I can pinpoint.

#563 3 years ago
Quoted from DruTheFu:

Don't trust myself with board circuitry soldering until I can get some practice on some already unusable stuff. I have a replacement board on order.
New magnet coil on order too.
I have a Fluke multi--meter, going to start tracing wires for continuity with hopes to find any short, or at least get closer. Then on to checking light sockets and bulbs. I hope I can pinpoint.

Borygard can repair node boards if you can't figure it out yourself.

#564 3 years ago

See if you can detect if the transistor is bad. If the transistor seems good might have a more complex issue. I think they are N channel mosfets.

http://www.utm.edu/staff/leeb/mostest.htm

3 weeks later
#565 3 years ago

Anyone here capable of working on these boards. I believe the audio amplifier failed on my BK premium.

#566 3 years ago
Quoted from RustyLizard:

Anyone here capable of working on these boards. I believe the audio amplifier failed on my BK premium.

Drop a PM to Borygard and see if he can fix that. He does repair node boards, but not sure about the CPU board where the amp is.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 16.00
$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Docquest Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 80.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 24.95
10,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Houston, TX
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Linn Creek, MO
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
JuanSolo's modshop

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 25.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 28.00
There are 566 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 12.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-are-your-thoughts-on-the-spike-ii-system/page/12?hl=aaav8r and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.