(Topic ID: 282943)

What are your thoughts on driverless cars?

By rai

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 120 posts
  • 55 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 days ago by Yelobird
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1000x-1 (resized).jpg
    download (resized).jpg
    long beach exit (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rai.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 1 year ago

I’m sure we will have a driverless car in our lifetime (I mean in the next 30 years) but I’m curious what your thoughts are what this future will look like?

1) kids will be able to go to point A-B without any adults (what age of kids will be the cutoff?)

2) auto cars will replace all Uber and Lyft and taxi and busses (what will happen to those millions of people who are employed as drivers)?

3) auto cars and driver cars will be mixing on roads (not all or none situation) how will that look?

4) do you want to be an early adopter or wait and see?

5) fear of hackers or terrorists using cars inappropriately?

6) what else?

#5 1 year ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

Driverless cars is a concept that should not be pursued,or encouraged.

It’s happening, like the atomic bomb project it was going to happen eventually. If it can be done it will happen eventually.

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from zarco:

Dumb for so many reasons.
    I've been an engineer for decades and understand the concepts being used. Both hardware
    and software. Its far too complex of a problem and no matter how many safe guards
    are put in, there will be situations that cannot be predicated. It will NEVER be safe
    or reliable on a wide basis. Sensors can fail and the more there are the more likely it is they will fail.
    The consequences would be nasty and expensive.
    The core problem of transportation goes back decades to the way our cities and towns were laid out
    and interconnected. People who have been to Europe and used their rail system will
    appreciate how it should have been done.
    My $.02 anyway.

I think it’d work better if all or none situation. Meaning all auto cars able to sense and interact with each other.

I know it’s complicated but not every driver is the best and we have people driving like ass hats anyway.

If the death toll currently is 38k in the us what if we switch to driverless and it’s 15K deaths/year isn’t that better?

#74 1 year ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

True, some drivers should not be on the road but it's not like we would all switch to autonomous cars overnight. Teenagers will still be ripping around and old people changing lanes blindly. No matter how good the autonomous car will be there will still be accidents. As long as there are accidents, there will be lawyers. Imagine if you mother or child was killed in an accident in autonomous car and it was determined the car itself caused the accident. The car manufacturer knew the system was not perfect but said they are working on making it better. What would you do?

How about tort reform, so that if an accident were to occur the liability was maximum of $1M (or something reasonable)?

If someone get's killed it's tragic but awarding multi million punitive damages or excessive damages because someone has deeper pockets than another doesn't bring that person back.

#77 1 year ago

I think it's likely now that a computer can react safer than a human in certain conditions (example highway high speed where you need to hit the brakes if xyz modeling is occurring). I mean if you are traveling 90 and the guy in front jams on the brakes, it's likely a computer can jam on the brakes faster than a human even the most focused and best reflexes human let alone an elderly or distracted human.

So if that's an example there are probably a hundred other examples that would also be correct for example if the light turns green (and the intersection is clear your car should go and the car behind should follow and so on), now what happens is one driver out of 10 might not go and will hold up 9 other cars. Likely a chain of computer cars will all move when the light turns green.

Another example if the highway is moving at 75 mph all the cars can move at that safely instead of someone wanting to do 58 mph in the left lane and making it like a scene out of a mad max movie where hundreds of cars need to speed up and slow down and change three lanes because one car is fudging up.

Another example is fitting into a parking space (and not on the lines).

I am just pointing out a few examples that a computer can drive better than the average human and waaaaaaaaaaay better than the 16 year olds and the 91 year olds trying to drive with the rest of the population.

I understand my examples need to have ALL computer cars not a mix of computers and humans. Also maybe it needs to have baby steps like semi automatous first and work up to full automatous.

The question remains what to do with the hundreds of millions of cars that are perfectly ok but don't have self driving.

#105 1 year ago

I’m glad to have a nice manual RWD car with nothing except ABS and some stability control (minimal).

Very hard finding sporty cars with manual transmission anymore.

11 months later
    #113 13 days ago

Just saw this demonstration of the Tesla 'self driving' in NYC. It's still got a long way to go.
    https://www.cnn.com/videos/business/2021/11/17/tesla-3-full-self-driving-mode-test-mc-zw-orig.cnn-business/video/playlists/business-tesla/

#115 13 days ago

I just got a newer car that is a 2021 Palisade that has Highway Driving Assist. This will center in the lane, full stop and go with the cruise control (this is a little nervous inducing at first). But the driving assist systems are great for me. But the difference between highway driving assist and full automatous driving is like the difference between 4 year olds playing soccer and The World Cup. It's nowhere near where it needs to be.

https://www.jdpower.com/cars/shopping-guides/what-is-highway-driving-assist-and-how-does-it-work

#119 12 days ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

Been on Tesla FSD beta for some time. While not perfect it gets better each week. Rather amazing technology. Drove from TN to Chicago and did not need to interact once. Just enter destination and sit back. Crazy stuff.

I just drove into and out of Queens NY with holiday rush and airport traffic. It took me 110 minutes and 90 minutes each way 30 miles.

It was white knuckle drive with having to merge in when the other cars weren’t giving me any room. I just had to wiggle over and make them give way.

No way Autopilot would be able to handle that ‘hands free’.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rai.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside