(Topic ID: 282943)

What are your thoughts on driverless cars?

By rai

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 180 posts
  • 75 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by bob_e
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Steve-McQueen-1945-Willys-Jeep-MB-gear-patrol-slide-1 (resized).jpg
    Steve-McQueen-1945-Willys-Jeep-MB-gear-patrol-slide-2 (resized).jpg
    IMG_9065 (resized).jpeg
    9595D6FC-B63F-4170-83C3-1CC5644D36AA (resized).jpeg
    The Car (resized).jpg
    self (resized).jpg
    self (resized).jpg
    1000x-1 (resized).jpg
    download (resized).jpg
    long beach exit (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider djd9617.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#40 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

The old men in this thread will remember a few decades ago when everyone was in a panic "What if the anti lock brakes fail????", "What if they suddenly all lock up all over the country at the same time????", "I can pump the brakes better than any computer can!!!!", "I want to control my recovery from a spin, not a computer!!!"
    Nowadays nobody gives it a second thought. They don't even teach brake pumping in drivers ed.

Ok just an anecdotal example, a couple years ago I had a faulty speed sensor in my front driver side tire trigger ABS, and the jeep just jerked me over into the oncoming lane. Luckily there were no cars in the lane at that moment. I immediately pulled over and popped out the fuse that powers ABS. I did reinsert it when roads got icy (and after getting a new speed sensor)

#42 3 years ago
    Quoted from djd9617:

Ok just an anecdotal example, a couple years ago I had a faulty speed sensor in my front driver side tire trigger ABS, and the jeep just jerked me over into the oncoming lane. Luckily there were no cars in the lane at that moment. I immediately pulled over and popped out the fuse that powers ABS. I did reinsert it when roads got icy (and after getting a new speed sensor)

#45 3 years ago

Having worked in the autonomous automotive industry for a few years, no way in hell would I trust fully self-driving cars until we build out infrastructure to support it. Optical and radar sensors only get you so far. We really need sensors built into the roads or lamp posts that can give vehicles better positional tracking and intercommunication, alomg with more robust hazard detection and reporting. Ford is developing their V2V system to allow cars to talk to each other, last I heard (2 yrs ago).

#49 3 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

I have thought about this a lot, and here is something that relates to it, somehow, I think. This is something I think about every time I hop in the car and go somewhere.
    If you take a 200 foot view from above and analyze it, the current system simply should not work. It defies all logic that for the most part, yet it does work. Yes, every day all over the place there are mishaps, crashes, people hurt, people killed. But when you look at the total number of cars and the total miles being driven, for the most part it works. Every day you go out and go somewhere and come back unscathed, it worked.
    But how it can possibly work gnaws at me every time I get in the car. Whenever I meet random people that are part of the overall general population, I always find that at least about a third of them, if not more, are marginally sane, if sane at all. After a few minutes of conversation, it becomes apparent that this person is existing in some other plane, where logic is right out the window. They seem completely oblivious and incoherent. Sometimes I wonder how on earth they can even exist in society, and have a means to support themselves, and be able to deal with all the trials of everyday life. Now, when you get in your car, you are surrounded by a random mix of all the people in the population. Some are truly out of it. Some no doubt are on drugs, alcohol, etc. A fair number are talking on their phones are texting. And here you are, especially on the freeway, going 60-80 miles an hour in a two ton projectile, and surrounded by dozens of others, and most of the time, the spacing between the cars is just a few feet, nowhere near enough to allow for a defensive maneuver if something goes wrong. I am amazed that it all goes along without constant crashing all over the place.
    Somehow, apparently, peoples' brains get wired to be able to handle all of the inputs and outputs for driving a car at speed on a crowded road, and make the necessary adjustments, and be able to avoid problems most of the time. Its not trivial to do this, from a mechanistic point of view. But it works. For driverless to take over, the AI has to equal the processing power of the human brain. Maybe its doable some day?

Think of how stupid the average person is. Now realize half of the population is dummer than that. -George Carlin.

Luckily, it typicall only requires one person paying attention to avoid an accident. It's when 2 oblivious drivers meet that accidents occur (with plenty of exceprions, of course).

For computers to beat humans, they just have to beat one part of our brain, namely the part that lets us understand the relative motion of objects/hazards. The actual vehicle handling is probably more math and control loops than AI. And we just have eyes. Cars have both cameras (lots of them) and radar (to "see" in low visibility conditions). I think computers are at the point where they are typically faster than us at visial image processing, yet not quite as relibale when given "outlier" data that it hasnt been well trained on.

Edit:

Now realize half of the population is dummer than that

"dummer". D'oh! I'm one of the 'below average' ones apparantly.

#51 3 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

Not to disagree but lamp posts and curbs are the simplest problem and one that in my opinion they have done spot on perfect. Its the Human variable that is unpredictable. Driver and pedestrian. Sadly Ford is a million miles from Tesla at this point.

Sorry, what I meant to imply is that those sensors could be used as a sort of reference point, so cars could accurately know their position relative to other nearby cars. Plus, they wouldn't need line of sight if they were networked. Your car would know if there was a stopped vehicle around the bend up ahead.

#52 3 years ago
    Quoted from EJS:

I knew someone who used to do that as a side job. I recall you can sign up for as many or as little of routes as you want. I can't recall if it was hourly or based on quantity of content. I remember it was a lot of hard drive turn around where Google would mail him disk drives, then drive around recording on them, then mail them back. I'm sure since then everything can be uploaded to the cloud.

Depending on the amount of data being collected, it might actually be cheaper and quicker to ship the physical drives. Used to work as an IT assistant admin. When we filled up 20TB or so of data and wanted to back it up, we shipped it to a datacenter (1-2 days, $50 or so), as opposed to using up a bunch of network bandwith uploading the data over the course of weeks.

#55 3 years ago
    Quoted from jackd104:

One day (and not long from now) driverless cars will make split second decisions on who to kill in an imminent unavoidable accident. Using facial recognition, the lighting fast 5G wireless network, and machine learning, the car will identify all possible victims and select the one for death that is least valuable to society and then take the appropriate action, all within a fraction of a second. Enjoy the future everyone.

Let's hope they have the wherewithal to avoid the majority of accidents in the first place! Beyond that, I say whichever person is in the way goes splat, lest we inadvertantly create robots that determine the solution to the problem is simply killing all humans.

#67 3 years ago

People don't seem to realize that flying cars already exists. They are called hellicopters, and they are expensive and loud as hell, which is why we still use cars We will only get cheap, quiet, flying cars after/if we become a space faring civilization, a la The Jetsons.

#70 3 years ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

How large of a business is automotive insurance? If driverless cars become a thing, wouldn't insurance rates drastically decrease? I'm not sure those big wig execs of Allstate, Farmers, Geico etc would like a pay cut, nor would their lobbyists'?

I think theyd still make equivalent profit. Sure lower rates means they collect less money, but fewer accidents means they pay out less often as well, so they get to keep a larger fraction of what tjey are collecting.

#97 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Austin Russell (25 years old) became the world's youngest self-made billionaire yesterday
    The college drop out's self driving car sensors are being slurped up by every major car manufacturer worldwide
    https://nypost.com/2020/12/04/luminar-chief-austin-russell-25-is-billionaire-after-ipo/[quoted image]

He owns $3B in stocks. Jesus. If you just put that in a bank, you could live off just the interest alone, as a multimillionaire. Heck you could provide 300 people with a very comfortable living off of the interest alone. I would own so many freakin pinball machines...

#99 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Sure, but then how will Skynet ever get created?

Elon Musk has that base covered with starlink.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider djd9617.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-are-your-thoughts-on-driverless-cars?tu=djd9617 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.