(Topic ID: 282943)

What are your thoughts on driverless cars?

By rai

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 180 posts
  • 75 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by bob_e
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Steve-McQueen-1945-Willys-Jeep-MB-gear-patrol-slide-1 (resized).jpg
    Steve-McQueen-1945-Willys-Jeep-MB-gear-patrol-slide-2 (resized).jpg
    IMG_9065 (resized).jpeg
    9595D6FC-B63F-4170-83C3-1CC5644D36AA (resized).jpeg
    The Car (resized).jpg
    self (resized).jpg
    self (resized).jpg
    1000x-1 (resized).jpg
    download (resized).jpg
    long beach exit (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Darscot.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#22 3 years ago

1) School age seems reasonable, there are plenty of places in the world you see kids off to school on public transit.

2) They will buy a self driving car and work less as it does the job for them.

3) The same way it does now

4) I hardly actual drive my car on the highway now, I just let it do its thing.

5) I do not live my life in fear and have never spent a second worrying about this in another facet of my life. It is just so overly complicated a scenario, satire of a cartoon villain evil plot.

#39 3 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

How many people know how to turn into a skid and get out of it?

Well with the ratio of FWD/AWD compared to RWD I sure hope people do not think they should steer into a skid.

#79 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballs:

The morals of AI are fascinating, and very few countries have written Asimov-like laws yet. I like this MIT project:
    "Welcome to the Moral Machine! A platform for gathering a human perspective on moral decisions made by machine intelligence, such as self-driving cars."
    They are researching human views on who the car should choose to kill in different accident situations. Fascinating cultural differences such as countries that value older people's lives more Try it out!
    https://www.moralmachine.net/

An interesting little quiz but it made little sense. The entire premise is an advanced self driving car some how still has an ancient braking system that results in total failure. I based my entire decision on two parameters. First, the fact that people inside the car with all of its safety features have a much higher survival rate than pedestrians. Than second if the choice is take no action vs take action and both result in an accident you would never add complexity to a dangerous situation so no action is the logical choice. What the test determined I valued had no bearing in my decision and the result was entirely arbitrary. I'm surprised this is from MIT is seems like it was written by philosophy students not engineers. Was it uber that had the self driving car kill that bag lady. That is a perfect example of this kind of problem, the car was programmed to not brake for a trash bag as its is so common that empty garbage bags blow around on the road. The car simple identified the women with her bags of cans as a trash bag and was programmed not to react. The logic was sound the problem is the lady walking right in front of a car at night disguised as a garbage bag.

#82 3 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

A computer can certainly react faster than a human but nothing comes close to the human mind. It's one thing to get a car to drive down a road but another to have a level of intelligence anywhere near a human. A computer can easily brake by detecting if the car in front slows down. However, can it look far up the road in heavy traffic and recognize cars swerving to avoid a ladder dumped on the road? Drivers not paying attention will ultimately drive right over the obstacle because by the time the come upon it it's too late to react. Will computers recognize heavy pools of water? Floods are common where I live and flooded roads can be deadly. Will software be able to recognize an empty trash bag or tumbleweed drifting across the road? It would be dangerous if the car slammed on the brakes.

I already touched on the garbage bag point in the post above. As to the distance ahead the car can handle this much better than a human being can. When I first got my Tesla I was driving along behind a cube van. The car start blaring this warning and braking. At the time I had no idea what it was. I had time to look around and saw no issue I was just about to override the braking, when the cube van slammed on its brakes. My car had detected that the vehicles in front of the cube van had hit. This was completely out of line of sight, the car can see things happen that are impossible for a human to see.

1 year later
    #137 1 year ago

I beta tested Tesla FSD and no one is saying it is anywhere near ready to drive on it’s own. They put a dummy in the road and had a human being run it over. What exactly does that prove. There are countless valid reasons to be critical of FSD and it needs some oversight but that commercial is nonsense. The reality is Tesla requires a human operator at all times and that person is responsible for the car.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Darscot.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-are-your-thoughts-on-driverless-cars?tu=Darscot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.