(Topic ID: 282943)

What are your thoughts on driverless cars?

By rai

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 180 posts
  • 75 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by bob_e
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Steve-McQueen-1945-Willys-Jeep-MB-gear-patrol-slide-1 (resized).jpg
    Steve-McQueen-1945-Willys-Jeep-MB-gear-patrol-slide-2 (resized).jpg
    IMG_9065 (resized).jpeg
    9595D6FC-B63F-4170-83C3-1CC5644D36AA (resized).jpeg
    The Car (resized).jpg
    self (resized).jpg
    self (resized).jpg
    1000x-1 (resized).jpg
    download (resized).jpg
    long beach exit (resized).jpg
    There are 180 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
    #151 7 months ago

Until all cars can communicate their position it is unrealistic.

#152 7 months ago

I can understand the FUD with automated vehicles but safety stats should change some opinions.

A 100% decrease in the frequency of bodily injury claims.
    A 76% decrease in the frequency of property damage claims.

https://www.saam.swiss/autonomous-vehicle-safety-future-of-safe-mobility/

#153 7 months ago
    Quoted from RonSS:

Can't wait for the all AI Formula One!

Participation trophies for all!

#154 7 months ago

Its a really, really, really bad idea.

#155 7 months ago
    Quoted from Neal_W:

I can understand the FUD with automated vehicles but safety stats should change some opinions.

Humans have a pretty poor record of driving safely, so the machines can plow down plenty of kids and grandmas and still be much better than us. But good luck with that argument -- people love to compare new technology against perfection rather than against the existing system.

#156 7 months ago

Whom do you sue when one kills your kid?

#157 7 months ago
    Quoted from Don_C:

Your AI lawyer will discuss it with your AI insurance agent and work out what's best for you.

I'm sure it will be fine

"Elon Musk Announces Grok, a ‘Rebellious’ AI With Few Guardrails."

#158 7 months ago
    Quoted from Don_C:

I find your lack of faith in America's tort lawyers disturbing. They will assuredly figure out someone (more likely someones) for you to sue.

#159 7 months ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

I find your lack of faith in America's tort lawyers disturbing. They will assuredly figure out someone (more likely someones) for you to sue.

That's the real problem.

Suppose Ford (or GM or whoever) comes out with a self-driving system that reduces accidents by 80%. That sounds great, until Ford's lawyers realize that now Ford is liable for all of those 20% remaining accidents (as opposed to the almost 0% they are liable for now).

If I was a Ford lawyer, I'd be saying "Don't even think about self-driving cars. Right now, we blame the accidents on our customers. With self-driving cars, the customers will be blaming the accidents on us - and even worse - they'd be right!".

Last year there were 42,000 traffic fatalities in the US - 20% of that would be over 8000. Does Ford or GM really want to deal with 8000 wrongful-death suits every year?

#160 7 months ago
    Quoted from mbeardsley:

Last year there were 42,000 traffic fatalities in the US - 20% of that would be over 8000. Does Ford or GM really want to deal with 8000 wrongful-death suits every year?

Ford already knows ALL about this, didn't they calculate a human life was worth $200,000 back in the Pinto era?

#161 7 months ago
    Quoted from mbeardsley:

If I was a Ford lawyer, I'd be saying "Don't even think about self-driving cars. Right now, we blame the accidents on our customers. With self-driving cars, the customers will be blaming the accidents on us - and even worse - they'd be right!".

Interesting point. But it seems like some manufacturers are willing to push self-driving cars forward regardless and I can't imagine Ford will just sit on the sidelines and let Elon or whomever drink its milkshake.

Quoted from mbeardsley:

Again, starting from the premise that humans are as a group terrible drivers -- what with poor baseline skills and our collective tendency to drive drunk/high/distracted -- I would expect any self-driving car that's rolled out in a significant way to do far better than you're suggesting here, and at some point Ford might be willing to pay for a couple of hundred deaths/serious injuries a years as a cost of doing business. Of course during the transition period to a fully self-driving system, humans will still be crashing into everything all of the time as we do, including into self-driving cars whose manufacturers could then be targeted to a lawsuit. So building a safe product may still not offer full liability protection to the manufacturers.

#162 7 months ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Again, starting from the premise that humans are as a group terrible drivers -- what with poor baseline skills and our collective tendency to drive drunk/high/distracted -- I would expect any self-driving car that's rolled out in a significant way to do far better than you're suggesting here...

I doubt that we can get much better than an 80% reduction. Think of all the "little Johnny runs out into the street" events. Even the best AI is going to hit him a lot of the time...and those are the lawsuits that will be expensive.

"He had his whole life ahead of him, and your thoughtless AI car murdered him!"

#163 7 months ago

Logistics, logistics, logistics. They want electric semi-trucks that will self drive the cargo then go plug themselves in. This will cost a lot of needed us jobs.

#164 7 months ago
    Quoted from mbeardsley:

I doubt that we can get much better than an 80% reduction. Think of all the "little Johnny runs out into the street" events. Even the best AI is going to hit him a lot of the time...and those are the lawsuits that will be expensive.
    "He had his whole life ahead of him, and your thoughtless AI car murdered him!"

The people behind this really REALLY don't care. They are big enough to force vaccines on you yet pass a law stating that you can't sue them when your heart fails or your blood clots.

They will pass laws where if you get hit by a self driving truck it's your fault and you shouldn't have been there.

#165 7 months ago
    Quoted from Sandman33:

Logistics, logistics, logistics. They want electric semi-trucks that will self drive the cargo then go plug themselves in. This will cost a lot of needed us jobs.

Self-driving vehicles are just the tip of the iceberg. Over the next 20-30 years as AI and self-guiding robots come up to speed, most of our jobs are on the chopping block. Will be interesting to see if machines get better than humans at the nimble-finger work or the nimble-mind work first, but they're coming for all of us. We're talking technology that will undermine the economic bedrock of 12,000 years of civilization in a handful of decades - "if you don't work, you die" loses some appeal if most human work becomes worthless because machines can do almost everything better, faster, and cheaper.

I like to think humanity is capable of coming up with decent solutions to this one, but it's going to be an interesting ride.

#166 7 months ago

there are going to be a lot of them parked full in empty lots because no one can afford a house payment for a vehicle

#167 7 months ago

No such thing.

#168 7 months ago

I just watched Minority Report last night when flipping channels. If driverless cars can perform like they do in that movie, then I'm all in. Until then, I prefer to be in control.

#169 7 months ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I just watched Minority Report last night when flipping channels. If driverless cars can perform like they do in that movie, then I'm all in. Until then, I prefer to be in control.

Pre-cog You Can Drive My Car

#170 7 months ago

Would a self driving car suddenly go for it when seeing a tow truck ramp perfectly set up on the side of the highway?

Pfffft.....I doubt it.

#171 7 months ago
    Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Would a self driving car suddenly go for it when seeing a tow truck ramp perfectly set up on the side of the highway?
    Pfffft.....I doubt it.

it would only see an inclined road surface.

#172 7 months ago

We need a simple car that will run on the cheapest energy.
    Easy to fix, all analog.
    Throttle and steering units shafts, gears,cables.
    Nothing installed with a Code, Software or Proprietary.

#173 7 months ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

Easy to fix, all analog.

go buy a Model T Ford, about as basic as you can get. Hand crank starter, magneto ignition....

#174 7 months ago

I don't care about cars.

I just hope they don't invent playerless pinball machines.

LTG : )

#175 7 months ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

Easy to fix, all analog.

You're describing a bicycle.

#176 7 months ago

Another case against driverless cars - the opening scene of Upgrade (a great modern sci-fi/tech movie). Car was hacked which led to all sorts of chaos.

#177 7 months ago

I was in Phoenix last month and these driverless cars were everywhere. Here’s one at a stop light driving around like it owns the city!
    (Shakes fist at sky)

IMG_9065 (resized).jpegIMG_9065 (resized).jpeg
    #178 7 months ago
    Quoted from bob_e:

go buy a Model T Ford, about as basic as you can get. Hand crank starter, magneto ignition....

I was thinking an advanced 4-wheeler-type vehicle, golf carts ugly cousin.
    Or a 70 Series from Australia.
    Even an illegal VW from Mexico.

Vehicles are too complicated now.

#179 7 months ago

How about the original Jeep?

Steve-McQueen-1945-Willys-Jeep-MB-gear-patrol-slide-1 (resized).jpgSteve-McQueen-1945-Willys-Jeep-MB-gear-patrol-slide-1 (resized).jpgSteve-McQueen-1945-Willys-Jeep-MB-gear-patrol-slide-2 (resized).jpgSteve-McQueen-1945-Willys-Jeep-MB-gear-patrol-slide-2 (resized).jpg
    There are 180 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.