(Topic ID: 282943)

What are your thoughts on driverless cars?

By rai

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 180 posts
  • 75 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by bob_e
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Steve-McQueen-1945-Willys-Jeep-MB-gear-patrol-slide-1 (resized).jpg
    Steve-McQueen-1945-Willys-Jeep-MB-gear-patrol-slide-2 (resized).jpg
    IMG_9065 (resized).jpeg
    9595D6FC-B63F-4170-83C3-1CC5644D36AA (resized).jpeg
    The Car (resized).jpg
    self (resized).jpg
    self (resized).jpg
    1000x-1 (resized).jpg
    download (resized).jpg
    long beach exit (resized).jpg
    There are 180 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
    #101 3 years ago

My car also has all that safety driver assist crap. Due to how this works - I won't trust driverless cars for a long, long time.

While on interstate going around a curve to right, it thought I was going to run into the car ahead and to left of me - it slammed on the brakes in the middle of a curve. Thank God there was nobody behind me.

The next week while going other direction on interstate and getting off, it thought I was going to keep going straight and hit the exit sign. Again, it slammed on the brakes on the interstate. Again, thankfully there was nobody behind me this time.

Set the cruise control and turn on lane keeper assist on the interstate, EVERY STINKING TIME it thinks I want to get off the interstate at the northbound 72nd street exit. Gotta pull it back every time and now turn it off before I get to that exit location.

I can also go off in rant mode about that stinking German 9-speed transmission. It usually has absolutely no idea as to what gear it should be in.

Still too many bugs in the software.

#102 3 years ago
    Quoted from G-P-E:

My car also has all that safety driver assist crap. Due to how this works - I won't trust driverless cars for a long, long time.
    While on interstate going around a curve to right, it thought I was going to run into the car ahead and to left of me - it slammed on the brakes in the middle of a curve. Thank God there was nobody behind me.
    The next week while going other direction on interstate and getting off, it thought I was going to keep going straight and hit the exit sign. Again, it slammed on the brakes on the interstate. Again, thankfully there was nobody behind me this time.
    Set the cruise control and turn on lane keeper assist on the interstate, EVERY STINKING TIME it thinks I want to get off the interstate at the northbound 72nd street exit. Gotta pull it back every time and now turn it off before I get to that exit location.
    I can also go off in rant mode about that stinking German 9-speed transmission. It usually has absolutely no idea as to what gear it should be in.
    Still too many bugs in the software.

The key word in your story is “assist”. That car was only designed to assist if it thinks you may have made a mistake and has no actual AI technology. Completely different tech.

#103 3 years ago

Driverless cars.....w.o.f.t.a.m...

#104 3 years ago

The future
    No one owns a car, there will be public transportation (self driving taxi like cars) to transport you for the short drives.
    The air will be filled with self flying drone like vehicles (that you can own).

At the edge of the city there will be a kind of airport, you get there with public transportation.
    There you can rent or step into your private drone.

All electric, no more airplanes, no more normal cars.
    And there will be millions of e-bicycles for the lower classes.

Greetings Nostradamus

#105 3 years ago

I’m glad to have a nice manual RWD car with nothing except ABS and some stability control (minimal).

Very hard finding sporty cars with manual transmission anymore.

#106 3 years ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

Wonder how LIDAR handles weather (downpour, snow, fog). That has to cause of bunch of refraction.

It makes no difference to LIDAR. If you look at some of their data on their site they explain all of that. They had a 40ish video on their site at some points explaining all of it. It was quite impressive.

#107 3 years ago

The issue with personal flight vehicles are unlike ground vehicles where there are ways to mitigate the fatality factor of accidents and make them safer, when you add flying to the mix, any fender bender is 90% likely to become a fatality.

#108 3 years ago

As always it will take longer than we expect to get real "driverless" cars, but also be here before we really know it. A ford leader was saying ~5 years ago something along the lines of "we will be selling a car without a steering wheel in ~5 years". Yeah right. Even IF you had a full driverless car, why would you make it brick when something like the sensors break?

So it is easy to get hyped up on all the progress made, but who knows, maybe in 10 years there will be cars without steering wheels on the roads?

#109 3 years ago
    Quoted from BC_Gambit:

As always it will take longer than we expect to get real "driverless" cars, but also be here before we really know it. A ford leader was saying ~5 years ago something along the lines of "we will be selling a car without a steering wheel in ~5 years". Yeah right. Even IF you had a full driverless car, why would you make it brick when something like the sensors break?
    So it is easy to get hyped up on all the progress made, but who knows, maybe in 10 years there will be cars without steering wheels on the roads?

I don't even trust those cars that start with a button and no key. I will NEVER own a car that "boots up". Much less if there was no steering wheel. The car might crash when it needs a windows update or something like that. Its like Scotty told Captain Kirk "The more complicated that they make them, the easier they are to explode".

#110 3 years ago
    Quoted from BC_Gambit:

...A ford leader was saying ~5 years ago something along the lines of "we will be selling a car without a steering wheel in ~5 years"...

I bet he didn't run that statement by the Ford Engineering team first.

#111 3 years ago

Pinballers are always slow....to adopt new tech.

Williams put mechanical clangers in the first solid state machines, fearing that players would be terrified of games run by computers

#112 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Pinballers are always slow....to adopt new tech.
    Williams put mechanical clangers in the first solid state machines, fearing that players would be terrified of games run by computers

Bally did that with Evel Knievel, Power Play, Eight Ball.

11 months later
    #113 2 years ago

Just saw this demonstration of the Tesla 'self driving' in NYC. It's still got a long way to go.
    https://www.cnn.com/videos/business/2021/11/17/tesla-3-full-self-driving-mode-test-mc-zw-orig.cnn-business/video/playlists/business-tesla/

#114 2 years ago

No,not for me in my life time,

#115 2 years ago

I just got a newer car that is a 2021 Palisade that has Highway Driving Assist. This will center in the lane, full stop and go with the cruise control (this is a little nervous inducing at first). But the driving assist systems are great for me. But the difference between highway driving assist and full automatous driving is like the difference between 4 year olds playing soccer and The World Cup. It's nowhere near where it needs to be.

https://www.jdpower.com/cars/shopping-guides/what-is-highway-driving-assist-and-how-does-it-work

#116 2 years ago

Been on Tesla FSD beta for some time. While not perfect it gets better each week. Rather amazing technology. Drove from TN to Chicago and did not need to interact once. Just enter destination and sit back. Crazy stuff.

#117 2 years ago

I’d love it if I got to choose what style of driving. Road racer down to Granny mode.

#118 2 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

I’d love it if I got to choose what style of driving. Road racer down to Granny mode.

That’s actually available. You can do sport mode (if you like buying tires often) to do 0-60 launches in 3 seconds or chill mode to be like a normal Ice car. Same for steering, and auto lane changes. Mad Max setting is a bit much for me with it zig zagging around cars. Technology is fun.

#119 2 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

Been on Tesla FSD beta for some time. While not perfect it gets better each week. Rather amazing technology. Drove from TN to Chicago and did not need to interact once. Just enter destination and sit back. Crazy stuff.

I just drove into and out of Queens NY with holiday rush and airport traffic. It took me 110 minutes and 90 minutes each way 30 miles.

It was white knuckle drive with having to merge in when the other cars weren’t giving me any room. I just had to wiggle over and make them give way.

No way Autopilot would be able to handle that ‘hands free’.

#120 2 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

I just drove into and out of Queens NY with holiday rush and airport traffic. It took me 110 minutes and 90 minutes each way 30 miles.
    It was white knuckle drive with having to merge in when the other cars weren’t giving me any room. I just had to wiggle over and make them give way.
    No way Autopilot would be able to handle that ‘hands free’.

Can’t comment on NY travel but with my commute in Chicago rush hour I’m guessing not to far an example lol. Merges without issue and even with stop and go bumper to bumper absolutely no issue. Just sit back and watch. Scary at first letting technology do it’s thing which is not normal in a car but impressive when you get comfortable with it.

2 months later
    #121 2 years ago

Who is at fault in an accident….the car manufacturer or the software designer? Big legal problems coming.

#122 2 years ago

It’s inevitable, but will require sophisticated AI and an interconnected network (6 or 7g with fail over) where at least 90% of the cars are autonomous. Also there has to be a way to adjudicate complex moral decisions when an accident is unavoidable. Does the vehicle drive into a barrier killing the car owner in order to avoid mowing down 10 innocent civilians? A buyer must know and agree to the A.I.’s moral compass.

#123 2 years ago
    Quoted from Freddykaboodle:

Who is at fault in an accident….the car manufacturer or the software designer? Big legal problems coming.

I've mentioned this before in other threads. I don't see the upside for the manufacturers. Suppose that through large adoption of driverless vehicles, we cut the number of fatal accidents by 80%.

This sounds great, but right now when you hit little Johnny with your car, Ford doesn't get sued...you do. With a driverless vehicle, it's Ford (or GM, Toyota, etc.) that takes the blame. Do they really want to be liable for all the remaining accidents (of which there will still be plenty).

Furthermore, everyone will be happy to sue the (deep-pocket) manufacturer rather than the individual driver.

If I was a lawyer for Ford, I'd be like "There is NO way we are doing this..."

#124 2 years ago
    Quoted from Davidus56:

It’s inevitable, but will require sophisticated AI and an interconnected network (6 or 7g with fail over) where at least 90% of the cars are autonomous. Also there has to be a way to adjudicate complex moral decisions when an accident is unavoidable. Does the vehicle drive into a barrier killing the car owner in order to avoid mowing down 10 innocent civilians? A buyer must know and agree to the A.I.’s moral compass.

An interconnected system might help, but still won't solve the problem of Johnny unexpectedly running out into the street.

#125 2 years ago

I would never be in a car that has a driverless option. To me the whole idea is a stupid concept. Why? I enjoy the feel of driving a car. I have 14 cars and love to drive on PCH here in Cali. I like to speed thru the corners etc. My favorite car in my collection my 14 Viper. Hands on the wheel at all times. No way would a driverless option work for me.

#126 2 years ago

Driverless cars are going to be built for companies like Uber to scale and finally profit, its the main reason they need to exist.

Another thought, the pandemic and remote work has really put a damper on the potential demand for driverless cars. Fewer people with mind numbing commutes.

#127 2 years ago

I would think all liability will passed onto the driver. It will always be required that the driver will be behind the wheel, paying attention, and make corrections if needed. Even with that, you can see the lawsuits coming. Remember Toyota settled for $1.2 billion back when they were sued for unintended acceleration issues a decade or so ago.

#128 2 years ago

Any party with potential blame can be sued: the driver, the owner, the manufacturer, the software provider, even the jurisdiction where the accident took place. Which get sued depend on how likely it is blame can be proved, how much money they can cough up if found liable and how mad the victims or their relatives are with each party, among other things. Software "fault" will be both acts of commission and omission; both will evolve over time. Manufacturer claims can involve thousands of vehicles; software could easily get into multi-millions.

#129 2 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

I would think all liability will passed onto the driver...

Doesn't work that way for the gun manufactures. Sorry, not trying derail this into a gun debate. More about lawyers using the same strategy to go after the car manufactures. Ditto on a lot of things, ladders come to mind too - with what seems to be numerous warning labels all over them.

But back on topic: I rented a Honda Insight using the Tura app a couple of weeks ago. I was seriously impressed with all the 'smart' safety features that car had. Keeps you in lane, adaptive cruse, can recognize speed limit signs, the center display shows the right side of the car when turning right (very handy), etc. Really neat features. Granted not driverless, but impressive nonetheless.

#130 2 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

I would think all liability will passed onto the driver. It will always be required that the driver will be behind the wheel, paying attention, and make corrections if needed. Even with that, you can see the lawsuits coming. Remember Toyota settled for $1.2 billion back when they were sued for unintended acceleration issues a decade or so ago.

The problem with this is that the value proposition is seriously handicapped.

Babysitting a beta software may be attractive for the technophile geek demographic but good luck getting all that sweet robotaxi revenue (which is where the real money is) from a driver assist toy.

I personally have a Tesla and their semi-autonomous driving product (I won’t call it their grossly misleading marketing name) is a total joke.

#131 2 years ago

For a driver-less car insurance policy, who gets listed as drivers?

#132 2 years ago

Here in NSW, Australia, police have to prove, driver, motor vehicle, public street and the offence committed. The first proof is out the window with driverless cars. The only winners here will be the lawyers.

#133 2 years ago

Here in NSW, Australia, police have to prove, driver, motor vehicle, public street and the offence committed. The first proof is out the window with driverless cars. The only winners here will be the lawyers.

The lawyers always win…can’t speak for Australia but in the US that’s who really runs the country…..

#134 2 years ago
    Quoted from KozMckPinball:

For a driver-less car insurance policy, who gets listed as drivers?

Great question….I am sure the answer by the insurance company is going to be whoever owns the car. That’s their out.

6 months later
    #135 1 year ago

https://www.benzinga.com/trading-ideas/long-ideas/22/08/28641260/bat-s-crazy-elon-musk-targets-tesla-safety-groups-child-dummy-test-in-obscenity-laced-ra

'Bat S*%# Crazy': Elon Musk Targets Tesla Safety Group's 'Child Dummy' Test In Tweet
    By Benzinga
    — 6:34 PM ET 08/25/22

Tesla Inc (NASDAQ:TSLA) CEO Elon Musk took to Twitter Thursday to respond to a screenshot posted by Whole Mars Catalog (@WholeMarsBlog) of a blog post from The Dawn Project's website written by the safety group's CEO and founder Dan O'Dowd.

"Bat s**t crazy," Musk replied using emojis.

crazy
    -- Elon Musk (@elonmusk) August 25, 2022

Musk's response is the latest punch thrown in an ongoing scrap between Musk and Tesla with the safety advocacy group. This latest dispute appears to have kicked off on Aug. 9 when The Dawn Project released a national TV campaign showing a white Tesla EV, operating on full self-driving (FSD) software, run over a child-sized mannequin in the middle of a street multiple times.

See Also: Looking To Trade Tesla Stock Following 3-1 Split? Here's An Updated Chart

The Back Drop: In response to the Dawn Projects blog post, on Aug. 11 Tesla sent the group a cease and desist letter, asking that, among other things, the videos and other "defamatory information" be removed.

"To be clear, FSD Beta incorporates safety by design and does recognize pedestrians, including children, and when utilized properly, the system reacts to prevent or mitigate a collision," explained the letter, which was signed by Dinna Eskin, senior director and deputy general counsel for Tesla.

O'Dowd's group has shown no signs of being deterred. On Aug. 15, O'Dowd took to Twitter to poke the bear by posting another version of the video to Musk's personal account with the caption: "New video of Master Scammer Musk's Full Self-Driving Tesla ruthlessly mowing down a child mannequin wearing a safety vest in a real school crosswalk. No cones. Room to swerve. Video of pedals. Everything is real except the child, bc you know what would happen to a real child!"

New video of Master Scammer Musk's Full Self-Driving Tesla ruthlessly mowing down a child mannequin wearing a safety vest in a real school crosswalk. No cones. Room to swerve. Video of pedals.

Everything is real except the child, bc you know what would happen to a real child! pic.twitter.com/a3ut9bpSqG
    -- Dan O'Dowd (@RealDanODowd) August 15, 2022

The Latest: On Thursday, O'Dowd published a blog post on his website, hitting back at Elon Musk and his lawyers over the cease and desist letter. In the post, O'Dowd counters much of Tesla's letter line-by-line while periodically adding verbiage in the form of personal attacks: O'Dowd refers to the Tesla CEO as a crybaby, to Musk's stockholders as fanboys and added Musk's lawyers made him look like a doofus.

"The rest of the letter is boring standard legal boilerplate," O'Dowd added before finishing the post off with a threat: "Tesla Full Self-Driving software has no future. It is the most incompetently designed, implemented, and tested commercial software I have ever seen. All it does is take a perfectly good Tesla car and make it occasionally try to kill the driver, the passengers, and innocent bystanders. I dare you to come out and defend this technology."

So the Dawn project was using a White tezla... would a red or blue one do better? asking for a friend

#136 1 year ago

Until laws are in place that hold the manufacturer of a driverless car accountable for ANYTHING that happens if that feature is enabled I am completely against it. It’s their logic/programming that chooses the action/outcome of who gets injured or dies. Who gives them that right to decide. You are buying a product and relying on their service….so they should be accountable and their insurance should cover anything accident related…but at the end of the day they will just charge more so you will pay for it anyway. It’s a bunch of BS.

Currently if you drive and cause an accident you are held accountable and that is how it should be IF you are driving…..but if you are not the one driving you are just a passenger at that point.

#137 1 year ago

I beta tested Tesla FSD and no one is saying it is anywhere near ready to drive on it’s own. They put a dummy in the road and had a human being run it over. What exactly does that prove. There are countless valid reasons to be critical of FSD and it needs some oversight but that commercial is nonsense. The reality is Tesla requires a human operator at all times and that person is responsible for the car.

#138 1 year ago

I wish they could perfect it, for rush hour in the mornings.

No more worrying about people driving while reading the newspaper, eating breakfast, putting on makeup, shaving, etc. etc.

That would save lives and get people to work in one piece.

LTG : )

#139 1 year ago

Until there are laws governing accountability I am against it. We can all agree the technology has a way to go for it to be proven safe.

There are some people that are just bad drivers that shouldn’t drive so there is a a practical need for self driving. No more drunk driving, get bad drivers from behind the wheel, etc. So I am all for technology to advance to make things better. We have long way to go before we are there.

#140 1 year ago
    Quoted from LTG:

No more worrying about people driving while reading the newspaper, eating breakfast, putting on makeup, shaving, etc. etc.
    LTG : )

With you on all of that…and most importantly get rid of drunk driving. Of all the reasons to not have an accident that one is so easy to avoid but people still get behind the wheel….get an Uber. It’s so simple.

#141 1 year ago

Personally I think it's the dumbest thing ever and it will only cause serious problems and deaths the longer it's allowed to keep happening. People can't pay attention to what there doing in a car now, let alone if the car was driving itself. The goverment needs to shut it down before it gets worse and start making people RESPONSIBLE for causing accidents instead of a slap on the wrist like most other serious crimes as well.

John

#142 1 year ago

self (resized).jpgself (resized).jpg

#143 1 year ago

Would love to just pin a destination, crawl into to the back seat to sleep and let the car do it’s thing. Orlando to Jacksonville. What are the chances today of that car making it’s destination? Zero!

#144 1 year ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I think that's possible, AND there would be "new" deaths (less of them) caused by the logic of the FSD cars.

It gets into sticky ethical debates that I'm not sure we'll ever get over. Is "the greater good" enough?

I don't think it's realistic to have zero deaths caused by FSD. And for reasons already said in this thread, I don't know if I want algorithms deciding my fate, even if that means less deaths overall.

#145 1 year ago

I'm getting tired of convenience quickly. I realize the companies have our best interest in mind, but I don't like seeing technology pushed (forced) upon us.

It's evident there will be a higher price to drive a gasoline car within the decade - either through fuel, insurance, or both. I can imagine quite easily the same for autonomous vehicles. You won't "have" to use one, but you will get the stick if you don't.

How's that carrot taste?

Old man rant over.

#146 1 year ago
    self (resized).jpgself (resized).jpg
    #147 1 year ago

Let's not forget Christine's boyfriend.

The Car (resized).jpgThe Car (resized).jpg
    1 year later
    #148 7 months ago
    9595D6FC-B63F-4170-83C3-1CC5644D36AA (resized).jpeg9595D6FC-B63F-4170-83C3-1CC5644D36AA (resized).jpeg
    2 months later
    #149 4 months ago

It’s been over a year since this has been discussed. I think a lot of AI has been developed recently that might help make self driving vehicles more realistic but probably still a long ways off.

Tesla just announced it’s recalling all its cars to fix Autopilot systems that have been involved in thousands of crashes.

Here is what Tesla says about its current self driving technology.

“The currently enabled Autopilot, Enhanced Autopilot and Full Self-Driving features require active driver supervision and do not make the vehicle autonomous. Full autonomy will be dependent on achieving reliability far in excess of human drivers as demonstrated by billions of miles of experience, as well as regulatory approval, which may take longer in some jurisdictions. As Tesla’s Autopilot, Enhanced Autopilot and Full Self-Driving capabilities evolve, your car will be continuously upgraded through over-the-air software updates.”

#150 4 months ago

Can't wait for the all AI Formula One!

There are 180 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-are-your-thoughts-on-driverless-cars/page/3?hl=dent00 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.